This sound/CD selection issue

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sage

This sound/CD selection issue

#1 Post by Sage »

It was never a problem, until recently, for the CD player to find the correct default optical drive for playing audio CDs.
The normal and recommended wiring convetion for a PC with both a read only and a R-W drive, either CD or DVD, is to jumper the R-W as Master on the Secondary line, with the R-only as secondary slave. Some R-W drives will not work unless this convention is observed. It is also usual to wire the sound cable from the R-only drive to the audio line-in. It's been this way for over a decade. Puppy never did have any problem with this. It is also usual to boot the Puppy CD from the R-only drive. Whether the boot to final screen is heralded by 'woof, woof' or it is necessary to run the sound card wizard to hear our friend, the bones of Puppy clearly still understands this wiring configuration.
So why is the default CD player now set as /dev/hdc and not /dev/hdb, leading to confusion amongst new converts and old codgers who are more accomstomed to using full type 2 installations and whose memory isn't what it used to be - requiring yet another visit to the Wizard wizard for CD function selection. No other distro I've found so far, and that's a lot, sets the the sound default to a wiring configuration that is NOT the default.
Those that can do coding could probably fix this one in an instant. I would strongly recommend this.

Gn2

#2 Post by Gn2 »

There is no pre-set standard to follow when it comes to connecting hard drives or optical devices.

It is suggested however - for ease of use & best UDMA results:

IDE 0 primary > hard drive
IDE 0 slave > hard drive
IDE1 primary > CDrom/DVD reader
IDE1 slave > burner

An optical device works in ANY location
Unless of course the hardware - device controller has failed.

Many poorly scripted installs "expect" the ISO to be on
hdc > IDE1 primary
They may /may not correctly probe devices.
This is developer's poor abilities NOT any O/System standard

If an audio script is flawed - IT may "expect" hdc to be the media player
In all cases it was the developer at fault - NOT the Apps
Not-withstanding - it is the USERS responsibility to Cfg own system.

D'message you need is to USE dmesg &/or fdisk -l
Apply that to set own configurations - NOT rely on any wizards -
flawed or otherwise.
Sorry - no offence intended - If is not :wink: age/memory nor scripting that should be questioned.

Sage

#3 Post by Sage »

You are both correct and incorrect, G!
I didn't say anything about 'standards' - as you say, there are none. Normal practice, recommended configurations, though - everyone in the HW world knows what to do - done hundreds for other folk, thousands (based on several HW changes a day for twenty years) of my own.
The R-W always, without exception, should firstly be tried as Master on IDE-2 if it is available. Many early CD-RW and some recent DVD-RW simply will not work as slave on either line. In rare cases, some manufacturers even provide a 'manual' (usually an A5 or smaller slip, or a sentance placed in some obscure readme file) stating that their X-RW MUST be a Master.
Now, what you can get away in practice is just like line matching in TP networking! But never try placing your X-RW as a slave on either line in the first instance.

Gn2

#4 Post by Gn2 »

Hi SAGE ~

I have no idea what hardware you have installed - or WHY you state the last -

Be assured - I have suffered NO issues what-so-ever in use of
CD R-W devices jumpered & cabled as (hdd) IDE 1 - slave !

My computer has been set up that way since I assembled it.
Over eight years now .
It is stable - FAST (now runs primarily Gentoo) and other Linux have also been used - (not tried out USED.)

BTW IDE2 would be a 3rd controller

I have four IDE controllers - for redundancy OR true hardware RAID

Just as a FYI - I also have a Dual BIOS
Audio cabling is to CD/DVD reader, IDE1 (hdc) primary
I temporarily used IDE3 SLAVE (hdh) for the RW CDburner - when Linux install testing for others.
Guess where the ISO CD disk was located ?

(@##!! placement of M/Brd slots & lack of cables I had at time made that Temp. Cfg physically more practical)
As well as - BIOS does not support booting from IDE 2 & 3
Motherboard uses built-in Promise IDE controller for IDE2 & 3

For me EVMS is very doable !