I am trying to resize the rxvt window size.

Booting, installing, newbie
kent41

I am trying to resize the rxvt window size.

#1 Post by kent41 »

Hi all

I downloaded devilspie and installed but when I run devilspie I get the following message and I have to push
Ctrl Z to get a prompt. However the size of the window remains

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# devilspie
killall: devilspie.bin: no process killed
Then Ctrl Z the nessage
[1]+ Stopped(SIGTSTP) devilspie
sh-3.00#
Is there a way that I don't have to push Ctrl Z to get a prompt because I want to use the rxvt in a script?

Thanks
[size=75][color=darkred]Toshiba M35X S-111 - Aspire 5100-3357 using puppy 2.12 - 2.13 - 2.14 - 4.3.1 -
Bootable CD and no hard drive[/color][/size]
Acer Aspire 1 netbook using thumbdrive or CD

MU

#2 Post by MU »

sh-3.00# devilspie
killall: devilspie.bin: no process killed
You can ignore, it is needed for a restart only.
Is there a way that I don't have to push Ctrl Z to get a prompt because I want to use the rxvt in a script?
run it in background:
devilspie &

You might add this command to /root/.xinitrc , before the line
exec $CURRENTWM

Then devilspie is always active.

But if you want to resize only one rxvt from a script on creation, try something like:
rxvt --geometry 10x10 -e 'ls&&read -n 1 a'
This would display a very small rxvt, show the directory listing of the current folder, and wait for a keypress.

Mark

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

And just so you know:

Ctrl-z sends the process to the background but stops it.

If you want it to keep it running you have to either start it with the "&" at the end as Mark suggests to start it and send it to the background.

Or press Ctrl-z and then execute "bg 1" (or whatever the job number was reported when you pressed Ctrl-z)
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

kent41

#4 Post by kent41 »

OPTION 1

For others future reference the adding of 'devilspie &' to '/root/.xinitrc' before line 'exec $CURRENTWM' works for all sessions started from puppy's console icon. Also you can change the widow size by making changes in the /root/.devilspie/test.ds file.

Option 2

Code: Select all

rxvt --geometry  80x51 -e top && -n 1 a
This code is executed from a mouse click on a desktop icon script and displays a stretched window with 'top' data.

I think most users would have to include quotes around 'top && -n 1 a' portion of the code, however my downloaded puppy ver. 2.12 will not work with these quotes. I have tried using quotes with other code and it must be removed for the code to work.

The second option works great on my computer and thanks very much for the help.

kent
[size=75][color=darkred]Toshiba M35X S-111 - Aspire 5100-3357 using puppy 2.12 - 2.13 - 2.14 - 4.3.1 -

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy's top is really Busybox and does not resize itself when the console window is resized ... htop does work well when the window is resized, and has other useful features

kent41

#6 Post by kent41 »

GuestToo wrote:Puppy's top is really Busybox and does not resize itself when the console window is resized ... htop does work well when the window is resized, and has other useful features
GuestToo

Yes when you run top in a terminal window and then change the size of the window, top does not fill out the window with data and that is exactly why I needed to change the window size before I ran top.