hOW TO INSTALL PUPPY DIRECTLY ONTO A 512 MB CF CARD

Booting, installing, newbie
stanschul

hOW TO INSTALL PUPPY DIRECTLY ONTO A 512 MB CF CARD

#1 Post by stanschul »

Most posts want to squeeze the most out of older underpowered, tiny ram commputers; but surely there must be plently of people who have computers with adequate ram and would like to operate Puppy from a CF card as an alternate to Windows XP on the hard drive.

I have a 512 mb CF card in a built in slot that reads as drive D: in a ThinkPad with 384 (if I've added correctly) mb of ram. Since these CF cards are plunging in price (the 512 cost $30 (US)) and a two buck pcmcia adapter will allow a CF card to be installed in any computer with a pcmcia slot, I would think this would be of interest to many. Do I need to first create a CD disk or can't I just download directly to the CF card which is a Kodak ATA formatted as FAT.

I'm sure it's fun to try to squeeze the most out of a computer with 64mb of ram ( I happen to own a couple myself including an HPC CE that I've Wifi'd and added usb and mass storage to) but there must be millions of people who would like to keep it simple on a computer that's only 4 years out of date with a 500 MHZ Celeron with more than 256 mb of ram.
Maybe I'm a freak, but I just want a simple alternative to XP that does thrash a harddrive and run down a battery. :twisted:
Want to simply install to a 512 mb CF card in a ThinkPad that reads as drive D: with 384 mb of ram.

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I don't know if this helps or not http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... light=card

I'm not sure if you wouldn't have to burn a disk or not...

BUT.....

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come around and fill you in...

(see, I can't even spell right, it's easier to jabber on then to press that BACKSPACE key a couple of time...)

:shock:

EDIT: oh, yes, I'm glad to hear that the price of CF sticks is coming down! Am interested in getting some....

danleff

Re: hOW TO INSTALL PUPPY DIRECTLY ONTO A 512 MB CF CARD

#3 Post by danleff »

stanschul wrote:I have a 512 mb CF card in a built in slot that reads as drive D: in a ThinkPad with 384 (if I've added correctly) mb of ram. Since these CF cards are plunging in price (the 512 cost $30 (US)) and a two buck pcmcia adapter will allow a CF card to be installed in any computer with a pcmcia slot, I would think this would be of interest to many. Do I need to first create a CD disk or can't I just download directly to the CF card which is a Kodak ATA formatted as FAT.
Do you mean that the cf is built into the Thinpad (cd-ide adapter) or are you using a cf pcmcia adapter in the Thinkpad?

You have to get the base files onto the car some way. I may be misunderstanding your statement, but by "directly downloading" to the cf disk, do you mean extracting the iso file somewhere on the hard drive and placing them (vmlinuz, usr_cramfs...) on the card? If the latter, you have to use syslinux to make the card bootable.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith