Getting started; questions about hardware, software

Booting, installing, newbie
Arnout

Getting started; questions about hardware, software

#1 Post by Arnout »

hi,

I just discovered Puppy Linux and I am quiet enthousiastic. I was so fet up with windows XP. Although the installation went right I still have some issues/questions:

- my keyboard settings are not 100%. for instance the "@" on my keyboard is placed under the "2" but I have to type on "0" to get it
- I have a HP 6110 PSC, I tried to use the suggested driver but it didn't work
- my optimal screen config is 1024*1024 . This is part of the 'more' list in the screen wizard but I don't know how to get it
- the video and audioplayer don't work because of the error messag 'no demuxer found' stream format not recognized. Although it worked for a while
- I have some hardware installed on my PC like a webcam a TV card, a minolta digital camera. Will it be possible to connect these?

greetings

Arnout

#2 Post by Guest »

With the Video Wizard, if I recall rightly, the "More" button brings up a list, and you just type "0x011A" or whatever mode you want -- I think the modes are listed down the left column.

So, is your keyboard non-US layout?
You might find a choice that suits you better if you go to Start -> Setup -> Mouse/keyboard Wizard, then choose the keyboard layout, "old 2-letter method".

FrankA

#3 Post by FrankA »

I have @ problem too and c-media 9739 onboard soundchip don't support 5.1 surround (which is however a kernel module issue)

with the new release and 2.6. kernel there will be great strides forward on many these issues, I would assume - hold on a few days ...

comedix

#4 Post by comedix »

thx huys,

I Ialready solved some of my problems. I can print now but not from all applications, and my keyboard s seems OK (it's azerty latin)

but still I have some open questions especially hardware installation:

- my screen requests 1280*1024 but when I chosse this confige the screen becomes black
- the CD rom reader en writer: Puppy seems to recognise the cd rom (I can mount) but I am not able to write. I think it has something to do with SCSI or something.
- I have a TV card of pinaccle I would like to use of course to copy my video's to mpeg. Doesn't work
- I installed accounting program but it doesn't seem to work
- is it possible to install skype out?

pelaillo

#5 Post by pelaillo »

FrankA wrote:I have @ problem too and c-media 9739 onboard soundchip don't support 5.1 surround (which is however a kernel module issue)
I have a problem also with c-media 9739. I'm using c-media drivers but I cannot make it work. It simply sounds static noise.

Some hints?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: reply

#6 Post by Flash »

comedix wrote:[snip]

I have some open questions especially hardware installation:

[snip]

- the CD rom reader en writer: Puppy seems to recognise the cd rom (I can mount) but I am not able to write. I think it has something to do with SCSI or something.
Start->Setup->CD/DVD Drive Wizard then follow the directions to turn on SCSI emulation. You will still have to click the "Detect SCSI Drive" in order to burn anything in gcombust.
- I have a TV card of pinaccle I would like to use of course to copy my video's to mpeg. Doesn't work
I remember a recent post by someone detailing how he got his TV tuner card to work. Other than that, you're on your own. Good luck. :)
- I installed accounting program but it doesn't seem to work

[snip]
Which accounting program? How did you install it? Was it a DotPup or Pupget?

doopdoop

Re: reply

#7 Post by doopdoop »

comedix wrote:t
This is a (not very elegant) way, but ItWorksForMe(c)) to install the kernel modules for most analog TV cards:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=1388
For DVB, something similar can be done, but you may need to have a complete compiling environment, kernel sources and the drivers from www.linuxtv.org, as the 2.4 does not have a native DVB-Support.
On the other hand, encoding with DVB is then easy (set your channel and copy the input with a simple command (cat /dev/xxxx >output.mpg).
For analog, you need an encoder. Mencoder seems to be a rationale choice, as the correspondent mplayer is already available, but i haven't seen it yet.