Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 11 Dec 2017, 00:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Feb 07 Linux Magazine "Best of Small Distro's includes Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
john biles

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 04:20    Post subject:  Feb 07 Linux Magazine "Best of Small Distro's includes Puppy  

Hello Everyone,
"Linux Magazine" has at my suggestion in an email (See Jan 07 Linux Magazine "Letters to the editor") decided to make the DVD that comes with the Magazine a "Best of Small Distro's" edition. This will Include Puppy, DSL, Slax and a whole lot more.
There will be at least 11 Distro's on the DVD.

Go Puppy!!! Just think of all those copies of Puppy and others on the bookshelves of Newagents around the world.
I say thanks Linux Magazine.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 05:31    Post subject: Is Puppy top dog?
Subject description: comparison in Spanish

Amazing - might well get that . . .

How do we stand up? I think Slax is very polished, I like Austrumi (I wonder if that is on there). DSL uses John Murgas MurgaLua and has access to the full Debian depository - it also uses JWM as a second window manager - try the DLS - Not . . . Mitrax was good but no longer developed.

What else is on there? Grafpup perhaps?

Here is a comparison in Spanish.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyComparisonSpanish

this could be updated . . . anyone impartial?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Distros

john biles

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 06:32    Post subject:  

Hello Lobster,
Here's part of the email I received.

Quote:
* 11 unbeatable small distributions:
Puppy Linux
SLAX
Damn Small
SabayonLinux
miniEdition
GParted
Zenwalk
IPCop
BackTrack
And Much More!

http://www.linux-magazine.com/issue/76
[Best of Small Distros - Puppy Linux, SLAX, Damn Small Linux,
IPCop, SabayonLinux, GParted, Zenwalk, and much more]

I hope this helps

drongo

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 06:35    Post subject:  

The postman delivered my copy while I was reading this post!

DVD contains:-

BackTrack 2

Damn Small Linux 3.1

GoboLinux 013

grml 0.9

GParted 0.3.2

Puppy Linux 2.12

SabayonLinux 3.2 mini Edition (never heard of this edition before?)

Zenwalk 4.0

IPCop 1.4.11

Slax 5.1.8

Vector Linux 5.8

Interesting selection. Shame that Austrumi and Grafpup are missing. I guess that Mustang is too new to be on here (probably still a bit rough around the edges.)

Nice to see a magazine doing something interesting like this with a cover disk. I made a suggestion like this (I think it was to a different mag.) Obviously I don't have the right persuasive powers, because they ignored me.
john biles

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 06:46    Post subject:  

Hello drongo,
I just made it sound like a good deal for the Magazine for example I suggested they put this on their cover "Get 20 Linux distro's free with this months copy of Linux Magazine" and it worked ! not 20 but 11. Very Happy

ecomoney

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 07:06    Post subject: Review  

Does it have any kind of reviews inside? What is the press?

Sorry, my server is down atm!
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 07:30    Post subject:  

Interesting selection. "Backtrack" is the only one I have not tried. Even though popcorn SLAX and Zenwalk are much bigger, they contain much less then Puppy.

It is interesting that cutdown Debians such as DSL, Ubuntu Lites and so on are coming out. None of them are designed to be small and feel like a compromised distro. Another good security distro is BBC Linux (nothing to do with the TV institution)

There is a very small (smaller than Puppy) GUI based distro that works on lesser hardware than Puppy - can anyone remember the name?

I think it is Slack based and has to be installed to HD . . .

drongo

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 07:53    Post subject:  

There's very little editorial about the distros on the DVD. The main editorial is about "Unbreakable Linux". There are two pages describing the cover disk. Each Linux variant gets a very short description, my guess is that most of the descriptions are probably taken from the respective projects' websites. The Puppy description looks familiar. ("Puppy Linux 2.12 - This puppy is bred for speed and comfort. You'll also find good hardware detection and many convenient desktop features") Actually I think that's from a review on the web?

The DVD boots into a menu with the eight live CDs as menu options (Puppy is sixth down the list) I haven't tried this yet - my son is trying to kick me off the family laptop so he can play a game.

Puppy is very prominently placed at the top of the list on the cover of the DVD and on the DVD itself. There are four screenshots of the bootscreen menu, Puppy desktop showing the Wizard Wizard and the file managers, BackTrack and Sabayon.

Being in "pole position" means that people who try only one distro and then give up are likely to try Puppy.

Linux Magazine is German-based but I get the English-language version. No idea what the circulation figures are. You can get it at newsagents/bookstalls in the UK. I get mine on subscription. It's also available in the USA and Canada.

It's quite a good mag. The articles are fairly useful and there is an "Ask Klaus!" feature where the good Herr Doktor Knopper gives useful in-depth advice to questions. There are several features on SPAM this month.

So expect lots more newcomers to the forum demanding new features.

Very Happy
drongo

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 08:38    Post subject:    

Okay, I've booted up the DVD and (as tradition demands) am now typing this from Puppy. (I've been having a bit of trouble getting the wireless to work on Puppy recently. Don't know why, it was flawless this time. Probably a PIBCAK error, the wizard is fine.)

I'm intrigued by the multi-boot. Someone had a Linux multiboot on the web. (I think it included DSL, GrafPup, GeexBox and some others.)

Presumably it would be possible to produce a multi-boot CD with current Puppy, 109CE, Muppy, Grafpup, PizzaPup and others? Could also include some wiki pages and manuals?

I first came across Puppy when I was on dial-up (I also played with Beatrix and DSL for a while). This might not be attractive to dial-up users but could be sent by post.

What does anybody think?
rarsa

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 12:16    Post subject:  

Sabayon is there? hehe, I guess that we have different concepts of "small"

I tried to install the regular Sabayon giving it a heafty 10 GB partition and it complained! I required a "minimum" of 10.5 GB

As you can guess, compared to that anything looks mini. Their "mini" edition is "just" 700 MB. a FULL CD!

john biles

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2007, 23:41    Post subject:  

Linux Magazine is also available at Australian Newsagents, but is a couple of months behind so Australian Linux users won't see the March 2007 edition for awhile. (Unless you subscribe to the Magazine where by you will receive you copy in early FEB.)
mbutts

Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jan 2007, 00:10    Post subject:  

glad to see that we made the cut. i have used backtrack 2 love it for IT stuff. like slax how you can add on packages with a small program that lets u burn an iso or disk and is pretty polished graphically, and i like dsl and dsl-n. will have to try the others and see what they are about. i also have tried phlak linux, it isnt too bad either. im using the barbie puppy tonight the 2.14 alpha and for the first time am using multisession on a cdrw disk. works great on the desktop compaq but not on my laptop.
Gekko

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 05:46    Post subject:  

The reason Zenwalk is so big is because it contains almost every library you're ever going to need to compile anything, and it runs quite well on older systems. If Puppy had beryl i'd use it full time instead of Zenwalk. Zenwalk also has access to slackware and zenwalk repos, the only thing it doenst come packed with is the kernel sources, which can be donwloaded.

Zenwalk doesnt have portability.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: