Puppy will not install.

Booting, installing, newbie
brjoon1021

Puppy will not install.

#1 Post by brjoon1021 »

I have puppy 2.13 on CD. It will not install. The universal installer does not see any of the partitions (ext3, and ReiserFS) that exist on any of my hard disks. I have 6 disks. One , hda, is on the motherboard's IDE controller. The other five are on two Promise IDE ATA 133 cards in the PCI slots. The universal installer DOES see all of the DISKS. When I select any disk to install Puppy to, the only two options I am given are the superfloppy install or to select another disk.

Incidentally, fdisk, gparted, cfdisk of Puppy do not see any disk but hda. This is really strange. Anyway, I sure would like to install it along with the other Linuxes I have.

Can you help?

B.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

i've no idea why it's not seeing your disk geometry properly, but you could do a manual installation by mounting the iso file, extracting vmlinuz. initrd.gz & pup_213.sfs, (& optionally zdrv_213.sfs), to the required location, then, if you're booting with grub, altering menu.lst to point at puppy.

PaulBx1

#3 Post by PaulBx1 »

The universal installer is one of several applications that depend on the utilities "probedisk" and "probepart". Try running those at the command line to see if they show your disks and partitions. If they don't, that is a known problem with these two utilities, although I thought the problem only showed up with hot-swappable devices like USB flash drives.

You can go to this thread and read through all the gyrations about them:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =164033106

At the end there is a replacement for them you might try; maybe it will help in your case. By all means, if you try it and it does fix your problems, let us know. We need this feedback as proof the revised utilities are doing the job. Make sure you save the old ones with a ".old" extension, just in case. :wink:

brjoon1021

#4 Post by brjoon1021 »

thanks, guys. That is too complicated for me, right now. I will try Puppy again a few releases down the road.