How to boot puppy on touchscreen terminal?

Using applications, configuring, problems
hushpuppy

How to boot puppy on touchscreen terminal?

#1 Post by hushpuppy »

I have a touchscreen terminal currently running Windows 98, and would like to run puppy from it. The hdd recently stopped being recognised, i suspect it could well be the controller not just the drive itself.

There is no floppy drive, no cd rom, and no option to boot from a flash drive in the bios, there is though usb ports. Assuming it is a controller failure can anyone suggest a way to boot the machine ?. All ideas gratefully received.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

There are several things that might work. How did Windows get installed on the hard drive in the first place? Perhaps you could remove the hard drive, put it in a computer that does have a CD ROM, install Puppy, then put the hard drive back. This has been reported to work (if you do it right :) ) You could use a Windows-based program such as isobuster to open up the iso and then put the files on your hard drive, then figure out how to configure your boot loader. There is a recent post in the Howto forum telling how to configure Windows' bootloader to boot Puppy..

hushpuppy

#3 Post by hushpuppy »

Installing windows was easy, just removed the hdd from the machine and fitted to something with a cdrom. BUT !!!, the problem is, the DISK or controler is faulty, so i need a different way to boot puppy.

I could fit a new drive, but this is a machine that my business relies upon (it runs an epos system i wrote in flash), and i need a backup in case the fault returns.

DavidBell

#4 Post by DavidBell »

I think if you BIOS doesn't recognise the disk/IDE controller it's dead. If that's the case you can only check in your BIOS setup to see what other boot options are there. You might down to a floppy disk only. I think I read somewhere there is a 'wake up puppy' program that starts on a floppy and then switches to a usb - maybe this would do the trick?

Also if you can boot from floppy maybe you can update your BIOS to recognise other boots. (unlikely though)

DB

hushpuppy

#5 Post by hushpuppy »

Thanks for replying, but the machine doesnt have a floppy drive either.

Looks like its gonna be junk.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#6 Post by Lobster »

Maybe this will be possible . . .
http://www.scubasewj.com/shiny-things/t ... d-desktop/

not yet on Puppy

. . . I want one!
:?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

hushpuppy

#7 Post by hushpuppy »

Hey, i want one.

As it turns out i managed to *fix* the problem, temporarily at least.
The machine was running windows 98, and the problem got worse until the machine would not turn on at all. Around about this time i realised that the problem only surfaced if the machine had been shut down correctly, if i simply turned off the power, it would boot up every time.

I now have another two touchscreens, and am working on getting those working under puppy.