Puppy on very old Win98 machine

Booting, installing, newbie
wayne

Linld

#61 Post by wayne »

Need an answer to a question:

When I drop Linld.com into C:\ an MSDOS shortcut to Linld also is created and dropped into C:\. A dos box comes up and states Linld is a dos program and may not operate correctly unless run in dos, do you want to establish a shortcut to MSDOS?

Will someone please explain this before I move on and possibly blow myself up :?

Crash

#62 Post by Crash »

You should be pretty safe. Linld refuses to run under the Win95 GUI and even gives an error message to let you know. Just erase the shortcut.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#63 Post by GuestToo »

you were running Windows, you copied a file named linld.com to C:\, then you clicked the file which tries to execute the file ... this will create a Program Information File, which is also a shortcut

if you don't want to create a pif file, don't click the file after you copy it ... if you don't click the file, Windows won't try to run the file, and Windows will not need to create a pif file

you may not have intended to click the file after copying it, but you did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIF_file

wayne

win95

#64 Post by wayne »

Thank you. Now I feel safer :oops:

wayne

win95

#65 Post by wayne »

One last question before I begin PUPPY 2.13 install to win95 C:\

win95 ram: 128MB and it moves at 120MGz. I wonder pehaps I should install a smaller PUPPY for better performance :?:

wayne

#66 Post by wayne »

Crash wrote:I tried out Puppy on a Windows 95 distribution and it works OK. Here's what I did:

First, I copied the "big three", pup_213.sfs, ldlinux.sys, and vmlinuz to the "" directory on the hard drive. Actually, I also copied zdrv_213.sfs - it needed to be there for me to get onto the Internet. So I guess it's "the big four".

Next, I created a Windows 95 Startup disk, then copied LDLIN.COM to it. There was plenty of room on the startup disk.

Then I made up an "autoexec.bat" file on the floppy disk with the single line that I mentioned from the previous post:

LINLD.COM image=C:\vmlinuz initrd=C:\initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd acpi=on"

I hit reset, and it booted into Puppy just fine. I'm actually using this setup to post this reply.

I would be interested to know if this method works for others.
Crash: Here's what I did:
1) Created folder "C:\PUPPY213"
2) Copied big four into "C:\PUPPY213"
3) Booted win95 to C:\WINDOWS>
4) Changed directory to C:\PUPPY213>
TYPED:
5) LINLD.COM image=vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd acpi=on"

Crashed: Here's the result:

Now executing 'init' script in initial-ramdisk...
(Note: initial-ramdisk is retained and in /initrd after bootup)

Loading kernel modules... done
Looking for Puppy in hdc... hdc... hda4... done
Looking for pup_save.2fs in hdc... hda4... done

ERROR, cannot find puppy on 'idehd' boot media.
PUPMODE=1 PDEV1=
Exited to initial-ramdisk (/dev/ram0) commandline...
(the linux-guru can now debug, 'e3' editor is available)

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

# _

I don't know if it matters, puppy213 was loaded in win95 CD-ROM tray.

Any idea what I did wrong

Crash

#67 Post by Crash »

I got similar results when I duplicated what you did.

I recommend you move the big four plus LINLD.COM to the "\" directory. Win95 won't care. They will just look like a few files to it. But Puppy will be happier there.

P.S: I just noticed I misspelled LINLD as LDLIN in that post way back:

"Next, I created a Windows 95 Startup disk, then copied LDLIN.COM to it."

should be:

"Next, I created a Windows 95 Startup disk, then copied LINLD.COM to it."

wayne

#68 Post by wayne »

Crash wrote:I got similar results when I duplicated what you did.

I recommend you move the big four plus LINLD.COM to the "" directory. Win95 won't care. They will just look like a few files to it. But Puppy will be happier there.

P.S: I just noticed I misspelled LINLD as LDLIN in that post way back:

"Next, I created a Windows 95 Startup disk, then copied LDLIN.COM to it."

should be:

"Next, I created a Windows 95 Startup disk, then copied LINLD.COM to it."
Thank you :?
Last edited by wayne on Fri 16 Feb 2007, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

wayne

LINLD.COM

#69 Post by wayne »

GuestToo wrote:you were running Windows, you copied a file named linld.com to C:\, then you clicked the file which tries to execute the file ... this will create a Program Information File, which is also a shortcut

if you don't want to create a pif file, don't click the file after you copy it ... if you don't click the file, Windows won't try to run the file, and Windows will not need to create a pif file

you may not have intended to click the file after copying it, but you did

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PIF_file
Now I realize when I drag and drop linld.com into a folder I "WAS" clicking on it. Everything worked when linld.com copied to folder via command line. Thank You GuestToo, sounds poetic :!:

wayne

Puppy 2.13 and Win95

#70 Post by wayne »

Thanks to all forum members for your most needed help.

PUPPY 2.13 now boots on win95
Last edited by wayne on Sun 18 Feb 2007, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#71 Post by muggins »

well done wayne...now what about puppy on windows3.1 for your next project? (feeble attempt at humour here!)

wayne

win3.1 and Puppy

#72 Post by wayne »

muggins wrote:well done wayne...now what about puppy on windows3.1 for your next project? (feeble attempt at humour here!)
Thanks muggins: Please check out my new thread :D

Crash

#73 Post by Crash »

Congratulations on the success. Victory belongs to all who participated in this venture - it was a real collaborative effort. Also, thanks to the Puppy Linux development team who have provided us with an excellent learning resource.

wayne

#74 Post by wayne »

Crash wrote:Congratulations on the success. Victory belongs to all who participated in this venture - it was a real collaborative effort. Also, thanks to the Puppy Linux development team who have provided us with an excellent learning resource.
Thank you Crash; you say it better than I. Victory truly was an collaborative effort.