Cannot get off the ground!

Booting, installing, newbie
n0mm

Cannot get off the ground!

#1 Post by n0mm »

:( Total Newbie with first post! I recently received the "Puppy Unleashed" Ver:2.13 CD in the mail from downunder, and have been trying to figure out how to get it up and running so that I can get on with it! I have been reading the "Beginners" posts etc and even downloaded the "Manual", however, either I'm just Linux challenged or the 6 inches between the ears is really the problem. I have in the past tried various other flavors of "Linux" and had problems getting off the ground with them also. I guess all my "experience" over the years has been with the MS messworks and I'm probably just too indocrinated to see the light anymore. I can state that I'm thouoghly fed up with XP crashes etc! I have spent a lot of money and time over the years on "fixes" for windows that were just a shear waste of time and money. I'm sadly, no programmer, but it does seem that if "they" have not got it right by now, it ain't gonna happen? My specifics here with "Puppy" are that my Lexmark X3350 printer does not have a driver listed for linux on the wizard list. Also I use a DSL modem (Westell) which also is not mentioned in the internet install wizard? I remember these were the past experiencs issues that I had with Linux, that prevented me from going "full-time" on Linux then! I sure would like to shake off the bounds of MS though. Maybe this time I can get going? I'm not too swift on the software side of computing, needless to say, I guess. Is it just a case that one has to go out and replace the hardware existing with Linux compatible stuff? That in my casewould not be an option, for all the usual reasons! Any suggestions guys? Other than going AppleMac? ! :cry:

rarsa

Re: Cannot get off the ground!

#2 Post by rarsa »

n0mm wrote:my Lexmark X3350 printer does not have a driver listed for linux on the wizard list.
Though luck. Lexmark printers are notorious for their lack of linux support .

The Linux driver kit is a big joke. I am sure it was an attempt to shift the blame. The kit depends on a "raw" driver that Lexmark should provide but actually does not provide so it is totally useless.

I searched and didn't find even the hope of finding a linux driver for that printer. Sorry.

Besides that, There is a reason why it's usually lexmark printers that come "free" with new computers: Ink suplies are expensive. (I should know I have one)
n0mm wrote:Also I use a DSL modem (Westell) which also is not mentioned in the internet install wizard?
The wizard has nothing to do with the DSL modem. Linux only cares about your network card. As long as you specify the appropriate driver for your network card you should be OK.

Please specify the brand, model and version (or chipset) of your network card so we can recommend what driver to use.

Of course if it is a USB modem... Don't use the USB connection, use the RJ45 connection and connect it to your computer's network card.
n0mm wrote:Is it just a case that one has to go out and replace the hardware existing with Linux compatible stuff? That in my casewould not be an option.
Well, for your printer it is the only option.

Please don't blame Linux. Just think that Windows wouldn't have a driver either if Lexmark didn't provide it. That is actually the case for my printer under Windows Vista.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Gn2

#3 Post by Gn2 »

Lexmark: (no foomatic driver shown)
http://www.nodevice.com/driver/company/ ... page1.html

Print Org (now amalgamated) Database - Please see HOME page for ANY Print info:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_li ... ake=Anyone