java symlink

Using applications, configuring, problems
rockets

java symlink

#1 Post by rockets »

I downloaded an application written in java.
I unzipped to to dir=application
Cannot get start.jar to respond.

Tried 1-set run action to seamonkey--no

2-set symlink to the java dir---no

Please help.

Thanks, rockets.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

if Java is installed, the JAVA_HOME env variable should be set, and the Java bin dir should be added to the PATH variable ... i have Java installed in /mnt/hda15/jre1.5.0_10, so i put these lines in the file /etc/profile.local:

export JAVA_HOME=/mnt/hda15/jre1.5.0_10
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

(actually, i symlinked jre1.5.0_10 to jre, so i use that path, not that it matters)

if JAVA_HOME and PATH are set, you can run a Java application by typing:

java -jar name-of-the-app

you can set the Run Action for Rox to:

java -jar "$1"

so that the Java application will run when it is clicked in a Rox window

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

1. Did you install Java?
2. Where did you install it from? (If space is not an issue I recommend instaling it from java.com)

3. To create a symlink just locate the java executable under the folder where you installed java (I think it's under the bin folder), right click on it and select to create a symlink. When prompted for the location you can enter /root/my-applications/bin
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

rockets

java symlink

#4 Post by rockets »

Thanks for the instantanous reply: GuesToo and rasa.

I simply set the Run Action for Rox to:

java -jar "$1"

AND IT WORKS!!!

I am new to Pup (sorta) I tried several small distro's last year and had chosen DSL, but when I reviewed them this year I am becoming a strong supporter of PUP. I have painfully used computers since the 60's, and have never liked what I had to do to make them usable for me. Looks like Puppy will come closer than all the others.

Can't leave it all roses: I still have a learning curve to install dotpups and tarballs. The pupget manager is not working for me. Will post again when I can be specific.

Two critiques: 1)rasa says right click on executable...etc... I don't even know which of the executeables in the java folder you are referring to.
2)GuesToo says i symlinked jrs1.5.0_10 to jre....I don't know if you are referring to a dir or a file.

Please don't bother responding to either of these as I realize its my bias on learning programming and the terminal use.

With a few strokes JAVA and PUPPY smoke the rest!!! (now that I can link)

Thanks again.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i didn't say that you made a symlink ... i said that my /etc/profile.local file looks like this:

export JAVA_HOME=/mnt/hda15/jre
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

but when i install the Java jre, the Java directory will be jre1.5.0_10 or jre1.5.0_9 or jre1.5.0_8 or jre1.5.0_7 etc etc, depending on which version of Java i installed

if i didn't have that symlink, i would have to edit /etc/profile.local and put in the new name, and i would have to change the links to the plugins in Firefox and Opera and Seamonkey ... by symlinking the Java dir to a dir-symlink named jre, i can just make a new symlink when i install a different version, and i don't have to change anything for it to work