Laptop touchpad/mouse type

Booting, installing, newbie
gothelin

Laptop touchpad/mouse type

#1 Post by gothelin »

Hi,

I've used Linux before, but this is the first time I've ever tried it on a laptop. Until today, I can honestly say I've never wondered what mouse type my touchpad would be!

I couldn't actually find an answer when I searched the forums, so I thought I'd do a quick post.

If you have a HP Pavilion N5490, your touchpad is a PS/2 mouse type. I've been told since that most laptops are probably PS/2. So, if you're like me and have never really thought about this, hopefully this post will be helpful to those new to installing Linux on a laptop.

Carla
PS Puppy is very cool - I'm loving this multi-session cd concept.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

I am going to add your machine to the hardware list in the Wiki so if you could provide some details of your machine and if you had any problems installing Puppy we could provide this for People with the same machine.

Thanks in advance.

gothelin

#3 Post by gothelin »

Ian wrote:I am going to add your machine to the hardware list in the Wiki so if you could provide some details of your machine and if you had any problems installing Puppy we could provide this for People with the same machine.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Ian,

I had absolutely no problems with installing Puppy - it was absurdly easy. Everything worked instantly, except the network - that was the one and only thing I had to set up. The network wizard found the network card and set it up in seconds - it was a lot easier to set up networking in Puppy than it ever has been in Windows! Puppy even recognised that my monitor could get up to 1600x1200 resolution. The only stumbling block I had was working out what mouse type my touchpad was, other than that it was completely painless. My machine specs are:

HP Pavilion N5490
P3 1.0Ghz
256MB Ram
S3 Graphics Inc. Savage video card (I _think_ it has 32MB, but I honestly don't remember)
14.1 inch LCD (screen res: 1400x1050, 24bit colour)

If you need any more info, please do let me know.

Carla