pFind 6.3

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
don570

#691 Post by don570 »

I'll try that and see what happens.

B.K. Johnson

#692 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Hello Zigbert
I am using tahr-6.0.5 with pFind-6.1 OOTB.

When pFind is invoked via Menu>Filesystem, the searchbox is populated with "Search text", and changes to blank as the cursor gets there. The purpose I presume is to inform the user to enter the target text in the window. I think a combination of a static "Enter Search text" label below an empty window and code change will achieve the same objective but without the undesirable results described below.

For purposes of "copy/paste" text, I usually highlight the text and use the middle button of the mouse to paste. It is faster and uses fewer mouse clicks than right-click+Copy/Paste [Ctl-C/Ctl-V] which I use less often. If I hightlight a search target somewhere and invoke pFind, the highlighted text buffer is clobbered and replaced with "Search text" and the middle mouse button doesn't work. Would you please consider modifying the code to at least avoid the clobbering? You could retain the hiding "Search text" in the window and modify the code to avoid the clobbering or replace the hiding "Search text" with a static "Enter Search text" label as suggested above and code to not clobber the buffer. Your choice of course.

TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

zigbert

#693 Post by zigbert »

B.K. Johnson
Thank you for the feedback.
I will consider your suggestion...

Sigmund

disciple

#694 Post by disciple »

I had an idea you'd found a way to display it there but make it disappear when you click there... am I imagining it?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

don570

#695 Post by don570 »

A suggestion:

When there is more that 500 results, then automatically save a text file
of the paths in /root or $HOME folder and warn user .

Going to home is easier than /tmp

zigbert

#696 Post by zigbert »

disciple wrote:I had an idea you'd found a way to display it there but make it disappear when you click there... am I imagining it?
Yes, that is possible, but the textfield (entry) has the default focus to write your search strings without any clicking...

don570

#697 Post by don570 »

I made a right click utility (pfind plus) for the distros that don't have a right click available to search in folder.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110596

Pelo

Use pFind more !

#698 Post by Pelo »

I am surprised that people don't use pFind more, so efficient..
Files used in july 2017 (choose extension, personal or system, and date range)
atime = access time
ctime = change time
Users complain that not working with personal files ? here
Attachments
5.0.4.jpg
personal files version 5.0.4
(38.04 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 31 Jul 2017, 03:18, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#699 Post by bigpup »

I am surprised that people don't use pFind more, so efficient..
We do use it!!
It just works, so not much to talk about.
Well, it does everything I want a file search program to do!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

Bigpup, i agrrreee.

#700 Post by Pelo »

Bigpup, i agrrreee. No need to create scripts to do what Pfind does. Never mind..
What would be nice is to sort results by date, or other criteria. I fail with that.

zigbert

#701 Post by zigbert »

sorting by date works here. But I am running the latest version - pFind 6.3 on Slacko 7

B.K. Johnson

#702 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert, you wrote:
....But I am running the latest version - pFind 6.3 on Slacko 7
Does this version include a fix for the problem that you would consider here. How far down on your priority list is the fix for this? Anxiously awaiting. :)
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

zigbert

#703 Post by zigbert »

B.K. Johnson
Fixed at 15. May in Woof

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ac2c52fe1c

B.K. Johnson

#704 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert
As I am not a Git person, it will be a minor struggle (I hope) finding the new version, but I'll manage somehow.
Thanks!
Request May 8th; Completed May 15th. Only a week. Wow! Such quick response.
But I find out 2 1/2 months later. :roll: Thanks again.

[UPDATE]
zigbert
I did find and installed pFind-6.3.
When launched from Menu, the search window is blank instead of being populated with Enter search text. ADMIRABLE.
Clicking the mouse middle button allows entry of the copy buffer in the window. AS YOU DESCRIBED AND ADMIRABLE.

There is just one small inconvenience: If I choose to do a second search with the old search string in the entry window, the only way of removing the old string is either through backspacing or deleting characters before clicking the mouse middle button. It would be nice if the text window is automatically cleared as the cursor approaches the window. :idea: It's a niggle, but would make for a more professional application. (Seems reasonable since the old version pushed the text window contents into the copy buffer when the cursor neared the text window.)
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

B.K. Johnson

#705 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Perhaps you missed this update to my post here 10 days ago. Or, is there another reason for the lack of a response?
[UPDATE]
zigbert
I did find and installed pFind-6.3.
When launched from Menu, the search window is blank instead of being populated with Enter search text. ADMIRABLE.
Clicking the mouse middle button allows entry of the copy buffer in the window. AS YOU DESCRIBED AND ADMIRABLE.

There is just one small inconvenience: If I choose to do a second search with the old search string in the entry window, the only way of removing the old string is either through backspacing or deleting characters before clicking the mouse middle button. It would be nice if the text window is automatically cleared as the cursor approaches the window. Idea It's a niggle, but would make for a more professional application. (Seems reasonable since the old version pushed the text window contents into the copy buffer when the cursor neared the text window.)
I hope you see this suggestion (emboldening not in original post) as a worthwhile improvement and not as an annoyance from a pest or an ingrate who won't love and appreciate your programs "as is"?
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

zigbert

#706 Post by zigbert »

B.K. Johnson
Your're right - I missed your updated post.

There are several ways to think about this, and I like the text to stay in the field.
This makes it possible to change/narrow/widen the search-string without reentering the whole string.

Thank you for your feedback
Sigmund

B.K. Johnson

#707 Post by B.K. Johnson »

zigbert:
You wrote:
There are several ways to think about this, and I like the text to stay in the field.
This makes it possible to change/narrow/widen the search-string without reentering the whole string.
I accept the validity of that viewpoint. :) However, before beginning my search, I make use of "*" and "?" in my sub-string. I don't recall having the kind of problem you are alluding to. And with your superior knowledge of pFind and regex, I'm sure you could do likewise. :P What does happen from time to time is that I make a typo and have to correct for a single character. Your point would still hold true in that case. :wink:

As I do searches all the time, I usually have at least one instance of pFind open and keep it open after a successful search. :idea: So, I'll now change the way I use pFind: At the end of a search I'll close the window and start a new instance when I need - getting a blank search window in the process.

Of course, there is always the possibility of hacking pFind for my personal use. :roll:
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

MochiMoppel

#708 Post by MochiMoppel »

B.K. Johnson wrote:I did find and installed pFind-6.3.
Where did you find it?

B.K. Johnson

#709 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@MochiMoppel
Found pFind-1.3 where zigbert said it was. Take a look here.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson

zigbert

#710 Post by zigbert »

B.K. Johnson
I've added a clear-icon in the searchfield. That should solve the problem. It deletes the existing searchstring without fuzzing with the clipboard. Works both for ctrl+v and mouse-middle-click.

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... d631762264