Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 13 Nov 2018, 02:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Is there commercial support for puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
puppyfan12

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 10:21    Post subject:  Is there commercial support for puppy?  

Most local computer shops and places support windows but are unfamiliar with linux. It just occurred to me, if I were to use puppy as my primary OS in business for instance, is there any places I could go to pay someone to answer specific puppy questions in a timely manner? ie: within 24 hours Mon-Fri EST.
rarsa

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 10:26    Post subject:  

I guess it would depend on the location.

I'd advise that in a situation like you describe, the easiest way to know if there is something avaliable is ask your local Linux User's Group. They'll advise of professional linux support businesses around your area.

raffy

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 11:39    Post subject: Same question  

That same question was expressed by the education ministry officials here, so I guess it will have to be answered soon.
rarsa

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 13:52    Post subject: Re: Same question  

raffy wrote:
I guess it will have to be answered soon.
That's a question that has to be answered at a personal level. If someone makes their business to support Puppy that's a personal desicion.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Puppy project.

puppyfan12

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 14:17    Post subject: commercial puppy support  

Rarsa are you willing to provide payed support for puppy? It'd be nice to have someone local but if it's possible to get support and answers over the internet than I don't see a problem with that option.
topaz

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 16:24    Post subject:  

there is this thing called a forum, gives you support!
alienjeff

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 21:57    Post subject: Is there commercial support for puppy?  

puppyfan12 wrote:
Quote:
Rarsa are you willing to provide payed support for puppy? It'd be nice to have someone local but if it's possible to get support and answers over the internet than I don't see a problem with that option.

IMHO, the above belongs in a PM or email, not in the forum's open public area ... that is, of course, unless the forum has turned into a vehicle for promoting personal commercial endeavors.

MU

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 22:23    Post subject:  

If someone could earn enough money with Puppy support, it might enable him to support it more than by doing a job, that does not give him enough spare time.

Especially companies prefer to have a single person they can contact quickly over a longer period, who is well informed about the companies infrastructure and needs.
This is what companies like RedHat live from.

I currently tune and support an open source project (Morgana Castle C3, a CMS) on a contract basis, as "companies" like our political institutions don't have the knowlege or time to read messages that require a good amount of background knowledge to understand them (geek messages).

If Puppy shall have a chance to be accepted as a system for professional usage, a commercial support is inevitable.

Mark
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 22:27    Post subject:  

Well this is a special case. We have to expect this question to come up, as a natural outgrowth of Puppy's growing competence and pupularity. Smile

There are many forum members whom you could approach in a PM about providing paid support. I hate to name names for fear of offending the ones I leave out. Embarassed

I would lurk about the forum for a while until I saw someone who seems to know Puppy, and business applications, well enough to do the job, then send them a PM.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2007, 23:55    Post subject: Commercial Support
Subject description: Don't like money? Donate

I think I am priceless and doubt most companies could tempt me out of retirement for any fee.

However . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommercialSupport

Those wishing to provide commercial support can set up there.

Don't like money?
Donate it to Barry or some worthwhile project

Smile

Last edited by Lobster on Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:26; edited 1 time in total
alienjeff

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:19    Post subject: Re: Commercial Support
Subject description: Don't like money? Donate

Lobster wrote:
I think MU as a Senior Developer would be willing to offer a commercial contract and I would recommend him wholeheartedly
Smile

...and take your 10% headhunter commission.

Last edited by alienjeff on Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:46; edited 1 time in total
kjs

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 00:25    Post subject:  

I think that commercial support for whatever Linux is crucial for its commercial success. In most cases it's simply cheaper for a company to "outsource" these tasks then to have an in-house department as they would have to hire people for the peak demand.
Unfortunately most companies don't understand FLOSS enough to see that these people, in their low-demand time, could contribute to a project which might be of direct interest to them and get tons of hours back from other contributors. Fortunately I can see this change lately, faster in Europe and Asia (no clue about Australia)

Side note: if you need an excellent MRP/CRP/ERP solution: http://www.opentaps.org free as in beer, speech and freedom with heavyweight support (Apache Foundation's OFBiz). And no, I'm just a user....... Not sure whether I'd make an attempt to run it under Puppy, it might work but it's most likely easier under a more heavyweight distro.

Juergen

ICQ Number 
puppyfan12

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 12:09    Post subject:  

alienjeff wrote:
IMHO, the above belongs in a PM or email, not in the forum's open public area ... that is, of course, unless the forum has turned into a vehicle for promoting personal commercial endeavors.

I understand you're the "Community Malcontent, Miscreant and Mischief Affairs Officer" so you're the last persons toes I want to step on! My question wasn't intended to offend anyone or stir up . It was in response to Rarsa's response:

Quote:
I'd advise that in a situation like you describe, the easiest way to know if there is something avaliable is ask your local Linux User's Group. They'll advise of professional linux support businesses around your area.

Since I've attended the January & February 2007 LUG meetings's with Rarsa at the Kitchener in Canada (I discovered it via Rarsa's posts on this forum)...I just assumed it was the next logical response so he could say "yes/no" or "I recommend company X for our area". I wouldn't take offense if other users suggesting company X or their own service offerings.

The literal definition of a forum is "an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest" which doesn't exclude promoting personal commercial endeavors. However if I am not permitted to seek paid help here, I'll respect that decision. I just assumed it to be polite to offer something of monetary value in exchange for someones immediate attention. It would actually be helpful to me if I had a way to determine which forum contributors are willing to offer commercial support & which just use puppy for personal use and a hobby.

A link in their signature to the Wikki page lobster created after this thread was started or even a link to their own website could be a good way to indicate the differences. I like that Lobster also included his contributions. Perhaps other skills could be added as well as time availability on a resume type of profile of sorts for each person. That page could be separate from the list of entities on the commercial support wikki page. That way I don't need to send a PM to each of the current 4770 users to find out who would be willing to help me, what their skills are and in what time frame they can have it done.

I just assumed anyone on this page would feel okay publicly disclosing whether or not they are willing to offer commercial support arrangements but I could be wrong.

Quote:
there is this thing called a forum, gives you support!

Yes and I appreciate the wonderful collaborative community resources such as this and that a lot of answers are just a google search away.

Also as mark stated,
Quote:
our political institutions don't have the knowlege or time to read messages that require a good amount of background knowledge to understand them (geek messages).

Time is the key word by mark and also many answers require intricate knowledge of other areas for the answer to make any sense. IT has it's own vocabulary...even puppy has it's own vocabulary from other linux's. (dotpup, pupget, etc) So, Lobster: it's not a question of not liking money...for the most part answers are already published. The problem is not everyone has the time to learn or research all the intricacies that need to be known to get what they need done. Most people would rather just pay someone else to provide them with a quick answer instead of searching for it. (some answers take a long time to come up with a solution for them, some take less than a minute) However this is why so many users use the same proprietary OS and there's so much support available for it. (not necessarily just by the ones that write the software)

More than anything I'd say getting hardware to work properly is the most difficult thing for most users. (despite how easy it is now compared to in the past) Making a switch from another OS can also be a daunting task because what used to work one way now works another way. A lot of time can be used up just trying to find the answer of how to make something work the way someone wants it to work. Most businesses couldn't run with multiple days of downtime while they wait until someone has some leisure time to answer their questions. This leads me to Mark's comment:

Quote:
If someone could earn enough money with Puppy support, it might enable him to support it more than by doing a job, that does not give him enough spare time.

I agree, which is why I brought up my initial question in the topic. I support a lot of problematic win32 systems and don't always have enough spare time (or sometimes interest) to support all of them, especially in a timely manner. Often I'm in a situation where "urgent" assistance is required from multiple people at the same time as well. Being that I'm only one person, it makes it difficult to tackle several problematic systems at once. It'd be nice if I had someone to pass the extra workload on to (and still earn a small cut for acquiring the contacts for them).

It'd be nice if there was some kind of commercial support system available for (puppy)linux and if forums didn't become like the catholic church where people get chastised for seeking out/promoting commercial support services. The wikki topic Lobster started could be a good starting point to point people to for commercial support. (if they're allowed to request it on the forums)

Commercial support could range from someone who needs immediate help with a kernel panic to someone who can't get a video or ethernet card working to someone who needs an ongoing commitment to make sure all systems are operational...but can't wait a week for someone to have the free time to offer up a response.
alienjeff

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 13:42    Post subject: Is there commercial support for puppy?  

Naw ... toes not stepped on, man. Not a problem!

After having divorced myself from Microsoft products nearly two years ago, danced for a spell with both Knoppix and Gentoo, and being a Puppy Linux enthusiast for over a year, I find such a path akin to a switch from watching network television to only Public Broadcasting System programming. As time goes on, one loses his or her aquired insensitivity to years of a constant barrage of commercialization.

So when any little hint of commercialization rears its head, it appears to be more blatant than it really is.

My concern is that the forum doesn't become insidiously peppered with resumes, ads for wares and services, and commercial negotiations.

Using Puppy Linux (or DSL, Feather, or any other of the "mini-distros" for that matter) in a business environment is a bold step, and bold steps usually come with some potential danger. In non-critical applications, one of the mini-distros would probably be fine, but for anything other than such applications, using them carries much more risk than for home computing hobbyists.

Ecomoney has a thread running on the forum which details some of problems using Puppy in a multi-user environment. I trust you've been following that one. Another thread worthy of consideration is the one on file system hierarchy: among other things, it describes the "why" of a multi-tiered system for business/multi-user environs.

And perhaps the most apropo and credible caveat emptor comes directly from none other than the distribution's creator:

"Every release of Puppy is really a beta" - Barry Kauler, 1/16/07

So that's my inflation-bloated 2-cents. And of course, as the old saying goes: opinions are like, uh ... bio-waste output ports -- we've all got 'em!

kjs

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2007, 14:47    Post subject:  

alienjeff,

well said! I'm a big fan of Puppy and Grafpup but for my server I would really need a lot of convincing to use it. Not even openSuSE got a shot there, it's SLES10. Sure, much more bloated but all the security measures build in plus automatic security updates. Bleeding edge? No way! Far to risky...... I usually update my server OS once the over-next version is out.
All these small distro's are what they are: designed to run on minimal an/or older hardware. Ideal for thin clients, car-computers, older laptops/desktops, semi-embedded solutions and especially nice to learn Linux. Break it and within a few minutes you are back to the starting point.

Juergen

ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 2 [30 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: