Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 23:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Look and Feel
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 7 [93 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
veronicathecow

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 16:53    Post subject:  

Hi Whodo, lovely looking puppy. I was wondering if you cvould post a list what programs will be in it. Currently I am using Rudy which is excellent.

For me it needed to have O.O. Firefox, Thunderbird, NVU, Gimp, Gxine, with all codecs, DVD and CD ripper to be a real replacement for XP etc. For average punters it has to work straight out of the box or they will give up. Hell it took me 7 years to convert and I'm an I.T. technician!

I'm so used to it now I completely forget I'm in Puppy (Apart from the blinding speed!)

Cheers
Tony
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 17:10    Post subject:  

lvds wrote:
...It seems a better idea to me to stay in this forum so people could find years after any discussion related to this subject ; looking at the index we could use "the cutting edge" perhaps ?

Agreed. Puppy 2.14CE is a community project and it is appropriate that it remains where the community gathers. I'll PM Flash and ask him to move our main posts to Cutting Edge and make them sticky.

puppyfan12 wrote:
Control Panel Options - From a new user perspective it would be nice if there was simple GUI's to change options that commonly require editing config files or at least to have comments inside the scripts that explain the function of each option and a GUI that simply opens up the appropriate config file.

Thanks for the offer to host a forum. We're probably where we need to be, though.

I'm all for simple GUI front ends that tie related things up in an easy-to-follow way. I want one to manage Icewm configuration, and one to manage basic setups on first boot. If you can think of any others we'll add them to the list.

Pizzasgood wrote:
Codename "Tuxedo" sounds good to me.

When we get organised I'll create a poll with Tuxedo and a few other name suggestions for the community to vote on.

Pizzasgood wrote:
Java is probably a little big (isn't it 80MB or so?). Gimp is possible, but you'd have to drop some weight somewhere to fit it. Tossing out mtPaint and maybe InkscapeLite might make enough room, but though I don't use it, I can see where InkscapeLite would be nice to have (Gimp is a raster editor, InkscapeLite is vector).

Yes, Java has to go. It's very big and it only offers clear functionality in certain limited areas, like databases under Open Office, etc. If users need it, or anything else specific, there will be MU's Puppy Software Installer for them to select and install with a single click.

Pizzasgood wrote:
A bunch of stickies in Cutting Edge could work. There aren't any other stickies in there, so it wouldn't be too confusing. We'd have to confine ourselves to only so many stickies so-as not to overflow it, but it wouldn't be too bad. Then we'd have the advantage of people who wouldn't bother watching some other forum dedicated to it seeing our posts, so we could get help and stuff easier.

Agreed. Nice idea about Aardvark1, but then Flash could just delete our posts on a whim! Razz I'll PM him today about moving our stuff to Cutting Edge and making it sticky. We only have two major posts so far, and a 3rd for CE Development Suggestions would seem appropriate.

Cheers
WhoDo

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb 2007, 17:15    Post subject:  

veronicathecow wrote:
Hi Whodo, lovely looking puppy. I was wondering if you cvould post a list what programs will be in it.
...[snip]...
For me it needed to have O.O. Firefox, Thunderbird, NVU, Gimp, Gxine, with all codecs, DVD and CD ripper to be a real replacement for XP etc. For average punters it has to work straight out of the box or they will give up. Hell it took me 7 years to convert and I'm an I.T. technician!

Hi Tony. Thanks for the compliment! Cool

Puppy 2.14CE will have Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird are under consideration but I'd also like to look at the Seamonkey "Firefox" compile in the new release. Gimp will be there, but NVU will probably be an add-on option. DVD/CD ripper and other multimedia enhancements like XMMS will be there. Gxine is under consideration.

We're also looking at GUI front ends to some of the essential wizards and functions, so working "out of the box" is a high priority.

Cheers
xandas

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb 2007, 11:09    Post subject:  

I am trying 2.14. Some comments.
May help in developing the CE edition as there are some topics:

1. Mht files. Seamonkey doesn't open mht files. It shows the htm code.
Mht is a good format as it includes all the pictures leting the saving folders clean.

2. Multisession disks fills quickly. I am using multisession CD's. They fills quickly due to the cache of the navigator as it is saved with the rest of the session. Opera and Firefox have a menu that enable the user to clean the caché (and other personal things) before save, not Seamonkey .

3. Voip trouble. Zmixer doesn't allow to enable and disable the mic (the mic is disabled by default) as Skype and Xten-Xlite requires to work.
It is not enough to listen the mic speech at the speakers: is mandatory enable it.
The xtmix used in previous versions allows clicking in the small black dot located under the mic cursor to enable/disable the mic.
A comment: Xten-Xlite is a good configurable Voip phone to use with the voip provider you choose.
I use it with VoipStunt, -10 euros for 300 min/week (to certain countries) land phones during 120 days- and it exists a linux version that works ok.

4. Icons not shown. In Rox, e.g. /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps the thumbs are not displayed.

5.- Sound card selection. The card selected with the Alsa wizard is no stored. At the new boot, I must run the wizard again.
At the end of the card recognition is showed an error msg: snd_op13_synth and snd_seq_midi, not found.

I was using Puppy 2.02, by John Murga. It is a strong version: all works good.
And uses Opera, unsurpassed. Thanks Barry and John for your work.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb 2007, 16:49    Post subject:  

4: Image thumbnails are disabled by default now to speed things up a little. Right-click the eye icon in the ROX-Filer toolbar and they will come back.

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb 2007, 20:53    Post subject:  

Here's a wallpaper I made with Gimp this evening.

full-sized (1024x768)

EDIT: Fixed annoying bump
EDIT2: Fixed bottom link Embarassed

Last edited by Pizzasgood on Tue 20 Feb 2007, 20:24; edited 1 time in total
wow

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb 2007, 23:22    Post subject:    

Shocked I love it! Smile finally something with style

lvds

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 02:00    Post subject:  

Arrow http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/

...Ladies, this man is worth to known ! Wink

Best regards,
Laurent.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 05:52    Post subject:  

Is this what you had in mind? Question

BTW, that's Puppy 2.15CE Beta in the background. Razz

Cheers
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 07:02    Post subject: :) so eh . . . how about an Alpha release?  

The background is fine. I would also recommend jpg and other image display is ON by default in ROX . . .

The size issue . . . It is quite possible to create Puppy Viz (snipped) as well as the big dog . . .

Puppy 1.03 (I think it was came in 3 version)

Smile so eh . . . how about an Alpha release? We certainly can move towards what everyone does agree on IceWM, Firefox and all up to date and patched

Feverfew

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 10:46    Post subject:  

Gak, anyone Laughing Maybe a little darkergreen? shining is a good backgrownd tho.
jundis

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 19:12    Post subject:  

oh i have a desktop image i wanted to share. I made it for puppy 2.15 CE so here it is

ok i know it's bad but i was bored. so if you want it go ahead. Oh and don't blame me, its my first time with gimp
puppyfan12

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 21:31    Post subject:    

Very nice backgrounds and start button, WhoDo!

I agree with Feverfew that the green is a bit bright for a background. That preference can easily be fixed with gimp though. Smile

*edit* Before I got interrupted here in the middle of posting last night...I meant to say, the background reminds me of this famous looney tunes one.

Last edited by puppyfan12 on Wed 21 Feb 2007, 07:04; edited 1 time in total
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Tue 20 Feb 2007, 23:51    Post subject:  

I made it with the IcebergX theme in mind, so it's probably a little bright for the Velvet themes. I'll probably make another wallpaper in a day or three, and I'll do that one darker and in green.

WhoDo

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb 2007, 03:50    Post subject:  

Feverfew wrote:
Gak, anyone Laughing Maybe a little darkergreen? shining is a good backgrownd tho.

Is this better Question

Page 3 of 7 [93 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: