Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Look and Feel

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
puppyfan12

#61 Post by puppyfan12 »

Re: the system tray....

Is there a way to make the system tray color change to match the theme color? Also...does the window managers support transparencies? Could the system tray icons have transparent backgrounds?

If there's any information regarding how to do this I am capable of doing it.
Joe D.

Pizzasgood

#62 Post by Pizzasgood »

The graphs can, I don't know about the rest.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#63 Post by WhoDo »

puppyfan12 wrote:Is there a way to make the system tray color change to match the theme color? Also...does the window managers support transparencies? Could the system tray icons have transparent backgrounds?

If there's any information regarding how to do this I am capable of doing it.
You'd need to talk to MU about the system tray. I too would prefer a transparent background, but I don't know if it's possible given the way it was developed. Only MU can tell that.

OTOH, most applications that using the Icewm taskbar probably CAN be made transparent. Certainly CPU status and Net status can. I even had Blinky running transparently, once, but I've no idea how I achieved it. I suggest you need to visit the Icewm website and see what they might be able to suggest.

Cheers

richard.a

#64 Post by richard.a »

At the risk of monopolising the thread, and being told I'm off topic, I've created a background with three levels of darkness from a photo I took the other morning in my garden, an unique cluster of four miniature pink roses, 3 dark pink, one light pink.

Actually I'm delighted with how the photo came out. Very lucky to catch it just when I did.

I just wanted to share it with you, and I've posted it here cos I'm using the 2.15 Office as a platform...
There are three versions of this wallpaper if anyone would like to try it, up one level if you open the image in its own browser page/tab.

I've used the middle one, with a slight amount of foliage visible.

Feel free to use it if you would like. I have done some slight enhancing, so if anyone would like the clean original shot to work on themselves, I can give the url where it's stored.

Richard in Adelaide
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

WhoDo

RC1 coming to life ... slowly

#65 Post by WhoDo »

Since we're showing off our puppies, I thought you might like a sneek peek at Puppy 2.15CE RC1 with the new blue velvet theme and ice icons. It also features transparent backgrounds for the CPU status and MU's traybuttons applet. Enjoy.

Or perhaps you'd prefer something a little more colorful:

[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

zigbert

#66 Post by zigbert »

Just one thing to say. This looks great! :P

richard.a

#67 Post by richard.a »

And you said RC1 is next week? Today's Saturday, ummm.... perhaps only two days away???

Looks really smashing mate. Thanks for the sneak preview :)
Is there any way you can slightly bolden the Ice-WM text for better contrast? It is very hard to see, as I commented in another thread - even the clock is illegible. Would be a shame to have to use a different theme with that wallpaper imho.

It's a bit like the Aurora Borealis (or Australis, perhaps?). Mind you the train of that name (Southern Aurora) sadly doesn't run any more.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

WhoDo

#68 Post by WhoDo »

richard.a wrote:Is there any way you can slightly bolden the Ice-WM text for better contrast? It is very hard to see, as I commented in another thread - even the clock is illegible. Would be a shame to have to use a different theme with that wallpaper imho.
Anything for a fellow Aussie! :P

Look in your present version of Puppy 2.15CE and you will find the following file:

/root/.icewm/prefoverride - simply add ":bold" (without the inverted commas) to any of the appropriate options like clock, menu text, etc.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

richard.a

#69 Post by richard.a »

Thankee. Getting to know my away around the configuration, slowly :)

lvds

#70 Post by lvds »

Hi,

It looks really good ! May i suggest we could adapt the ROX icons so to match the theme ?
I had posted question in another thread so to locate these icons but i haven't found them on my pc, still don't know what i am doing wrong...

Best regards,
Laurent

WhoDo

#71 Post by WhoDo »

lvds wrote:It looks really good ! May i suggest we could adapt the ROX icons so to match the theme ?

I had posted question in another thread so to locate these icons but i haven't found them on my pc, still don't know what i am doing wrong...
I haven't found them either, Laurent. I know Pizzasgood knows, but he's wrapped up in exams at the moment and I'd rather not disturb him.

A number of the Rox icons exist in /usr/local/apps - right click Rox filer and choose Look inside. They're not all there though.

I hope that helps.

Pizzasgood

#72 Post by Pizzasgood »

Actually, I'm on break now.

If you mean the icons in the tool-bar, most of them are part of the GTK theme. I actually don't know any more than that though. I think MU made a thread a year or so ago about it. There are a couple that I think are normal images in /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/images/

I think that's what you mean now, but at first I thought you meant normal icons, so I made a list of where stuff is. Shame to let it go to waste, so I might as well not delete it :roll:

The default mime-icons for ROX are at /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX/MIME/. Some things (like the trash can) are a ROX-App, which means their icon is probably inside them (right-click, look-inside) named .DirIcon. Most ROX-Apps that come with Puppy are in /usr/local/apps/.

You can install icon themes in /root/.icons/ that override the default mime-icons.

When you right-click and choose "set icon" to change things, it puts an icon in /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/. That is a very bad way to do it for a remaster, however (If the user changes icons, the default is lost. Changing the default icon instead allows them to revert if they want by choosing "clear" in the set-icon dialog).

Finally, there are a bunch of icons in /usr/share/midi-icons/, /usr/share/mini-icons/, and in assorted package-specific directories (usually in */share/<package-name>/)
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

lvds

#73 Post by lvds »

Hi,

Yes i found all of them already, it seems we are at the same place.
The icons we are still looking for are the one for "change to ... directory" or "bookmark menus" etc... in the ROX toolbar.

I discovered a few distros where they had been changed like puppy XP pro 202 (from Gliezl if i remember well) and the new TEENpup also... If someone reads us i hope we could receive tips on this :)

Best regards,
Laurent.

puppyfan12

#74 Post by puppyfan12 »

Wow very nice WhoDo! Thanks so much you're saving me a lot of work I'd otherwise planned on customizing myself. It's looking very polished!
Joe D.

cb88

#75 Post by cb88 »

Thanks for uploading the vista black theme to puppyfiles.org WhoDo.

cb88

WhoDo

Sneek Peek - Puppy 215CE Final

#76 Post by WhoDo »

If there was anything negative said about Puppy 2.15CE RC1, it was that some didn't like the boxer puppy icon. That's ok, it's not to everyone's taste but it filled the gap for RC1. Here now is where I think we should be going for Puppy 2.15CE Final. Any comments?

Notice the beautiful "shadow" from the Abiword icon on the desktop gives the image depth and makes the ice icons "float" above the desktop? :P

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#77 Post by Lobster »

Spot on

One of the advantages of the icons is they do work on brighter desktops but the dark ones give the glas icons a hue based on their shade . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

richard.a

#78 Post by richard.a »

Looks good to me. You've done a great job.

Did you see the short list of vagiaries I encountered? I may have posted it in the wrong place, but I see 80 visits have been recorded but no answers.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16593

Bed time here. Nite all :)

Richard in Adelaide.

WhoDo

#79 Post by WhoDo »

richard.a wrote:Did you see the short list of vagiaries I encountered? I may have posted it in the wrong place, but I see 80 visits have been recorded but no answers.
Bedtime there? You're 2 hours behind me and I have daylight saving still operating! Talk about needing a beauty sleep! :P

I saw the list on one flying visit and then couldn't find it again to comment. Now that you have offered a link, I'll have a look at it and offer my responses ... tomorrow ... sometime .... when I eventually wake up .... if I eventually wake up ...zzzzzzzzzzz

:shock: Was that a micro-sleep?

richard.a

#80 Post by richard.a »

WhoDo wrote:Bedtime there? You're 2 hours behind me and I have daylight saving still operating! Talk about needing a beauty sleep! :P
Well us oldies do things a lot slower I guess.

Bedtime starts with fun with the cats (a 3yo and a baby), then watering the garden before it gets to 11pm which is curfew time for hoses in our water crisis situation.

Then a cuppa and maybe a sandwich, and if I feel like it, check mail, say night to my South African friend on IRC who is in the early afternoon local time, and perhaps my US east coast IRC friend who may be up and about...

We oldies do take our time. Usually its 11 by the time I crawl into bed lol :) :D

Richard