Bouncing application startup notification? (like KDE uses)

Using applications, configuring, problems
JB4x4

Bouncing application startup notification? (like KDE uses)

#1 Post by JB4x4 »

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone new of a way to add the "bouncing icon" effect that KDE uses when you start an application (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.) to one of the lighter weight window managers like JWM or ICEWM.

Thanks,
JB

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

i personally find the bouncing mouse cursor annoying ... one of the first things i would disable, if i used KDE for any length of time

i usually start Firfox from a desktop icon, linked to a roxapp ... my start program pops up a simple splash gxmessage window, so that i know that i actually did click the icon ... code:

gxmessage -timeout 2 -buttons "" -bg "#d0ffd0" -borderless -center -title "Firefox" "
Firefox is starting" &

there are ways to have a pretty splash screen picture ... for example, the Splash extension here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2995/
i have not tried this extension
i like this splash screen, it looks clean and simple

JB4x4

#3 Post by JB4x4 »

Thank You GuestToo.

I was just looking for some sort of program startup notification (Actually for Firefox and Thunderbird). My Mom has an older 600mhz PC and she has to have her Firefox. Once loaded it works well, but she ends up clicking the icon an extra time while its loading because she thought she "missed it".

JB

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

if all you want is a simple splash screen when Firefox starts, here is a roxapp wrapper that starts the defaultbrowser, with a popup splash window

screenshot: http://i16.tinypic.com/481tiis.png

it installs in my-roxapps, and is named Firefox, so if you have a file or directory in my-roxapps with that name it will write over it if you don't move it or rename it first
Attachments
firefox-wrapper.pup
simple Firefox splash screen
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 331 times