PupWin98 won't boot after install to HD

Booting, installing, newbie
Josh

PupWin98 won't boot after install to HD

#1 Post by Josh »

Hey, I spent most of this afternoon trying to install puppy on my old comp thats running win98 .... finally found what I thought would be the easiest installation at ....

http://www.psyplan.com/banners.html?htt ... uppy/index

(thats all one link, it just wont fit in one row ....)
at any rate, I followed the instructions, and it worked as it was supposed to until I"m guessing about halfway into it .... I got an error message saying that it could not locate the " USR_CRAM.FS " file ... even though I had placed it in the C: drive as instructed ... just to make sure I hadnt messed up, I reinstalled all the files from my jumpdrive, but it still did not work .... so now I'm re-downloading the installation in hopes that I just got a faulty file for reason .... If not, is there somewhere that I can get JUST THAT FILE? ... according to that page, its version 1.0.1 with Mozilla thats been repackaged as a zip archive file. Also, I dont know if it makes any difference, but I used that ALZip program to unzip the files.
Any help you could give me would be great.
Thanks,
~Josh~

Josh

Just an update ...

#2 Post by Josh »

Just an update on this problem, I tried it again after re-downloading the software, and received the same error message. I found a similar problem while looking through the "regulars" forum, but when I went back to get the link for this, it had been moved, so I dunno what happened with that .... it wasnt solved .... difference is, she was upgrading, and 1.0.1 had worked, and I'm just trying to install 1.0.1 ..... At any rate, that didnt work, so I'm downloading 1.0.3 to see if that works, I'll keep you posted.
~Josh~

Rich

#3 Post by Rich »

Before you press on with a full install, try burning the CD and running it as a Live CD. This way you can check to see if it works before you commit it to harddrive, You can check the CD on other machines etc.

Don't forget to MD5 the downloaded Image though, then burn the image to CD at the slowest speed available, to minimise the risk of errors.

JaDy

#4 Post by JaDy »

Josh, we need to know more. How much ram (I run PupWin98 in 92MB)? How old is the computer (BIOS version)? Did you try fiddling with the autoexec.bat and config.sys parameters (desktop icon properties, program, advanced)?

PupWin98 is my creation. Did I goof and make some stupid mistake? Has anyone else got it working? :roll:
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Josh

More info ...

#5 Post by Josh »

Hey, first I'd like to say that I hope everybody had a great 4th of July!
Now onto business lol, I went into the DXdiag, and am kinda confused on the bios version, it said " PheonixBios 4.0 version 6.0 " so I'm not sure what that means lol, hopefully you guys do .... as far as the RAM, we're fine there, its got 384MB of RAM, and a pentium III processor, I was really hopin to gain my independence from windows on the 4th of july lol, just thought that would be kinda cool .... anyways, I'm downloadin puppy - 1.0.3, and will burn it to a cd, and try running it that way ... I was just gonna burn the software I had already put on the HDD, but the PC I'm putting puppy on, doesnt have a disc burner, and when I tried to copy the folder from my jump drive (where I had originally saved it) to another comp. in order to burn it, the only file it would copy was the usr_cram.fs ... not sure why ... anyway, thought if I was gonna have to redownload software, I'd try the newest version lol, so I'm gettin 1.0.3 right now. I'd like to thank you all for your help, I've already received more help with linux then I ever received for windows, (although I never had any trouble installing windows lol) (lame joke I know) anyway, I'll keep ya posted on how 1.0.3 works, I've got about 15 mins. till its done downloading.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

The rest of this thread was moved to the "How To" forum, as "How to burn a Puppy CD with Windows."

same problem error USR_CRAM.FS

#7 Post by Guest »

what i can doo?

#8 Post by Guest »

Why don't you start with telling everybody why you're posting to the forum? Are you having trouble using your computer? Don't be afraid.