puppy2.13 seamonkey full drivers live cd

Booting, installing, newbie
buck

puppy2.13 seamonkey full drivers live cd

#1 Post by buck »

If you type puppy ide=nodma it will boot to desk top but with zero functionality... moveing up to pent2...

ezeze5000

re-Puppy2.13 seamonkey full drivers live cd

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

Have you tried any other OS's on your PC?

If so did they boot ok?

If they didn't you might have a hardware problem.

A few more details on your hardware would be helpful.

Is it a laptop or a desktop PC?
What kind of video card do you have?

I have never had a problem with puppy booting unless there
was a hardware problem.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

buck

#3 Post by buck »

that's what they all say...I agree puppy is very interesting and anyone with XP or vista should download it NOW because as soon as they attempt to install a program that will offer some usefullness it will make it fall apart and they will benifit greatly by haveing a full desktop immidiately...my guess is no one is foolish enough to attemp running it on 100 mhz and 128 meg ram or they would have some helpfull information on making it function....I have no problem looking at the desktop icons it is clicking one that makes it less than useful..ON THIS BOX...there is nothing wrong with the computer, there is nothing wrong with the hardware..it is simply not fast enough at pentium100 mhz with 128 meg ram and 52x cdrom.. to run the puppy..I DO LIKE PUPPY and great work... VERY INTERESTING..it just is not working on my current project box...I think I will attempt a thumb install on the vista machine but that can wait as I am wanting to install a functional linux to this p100...just cause ..

jonyo

#4 Post by jonyo »

Why not take pup 2.13 for a live cd spin on your Vista machine? I'm doing this on ~6 windows xp computers. Hardly use windows anymore..

buck

#5 Post by buck »

LoL..why would I suggest vista and xp users give it a download if I did not know it would serve a purpose..The point is if you have 128megs of ram the live cd will not run on 100mhz...I am looking for a linux that will..why would anyone who just got vista be playing with puppy unless vista crashed attempting to install a usefull program...they would be playing with vista..I use dsl on a thumb over xp as I refuse to connect xp to the net...thought I would try puppy on a thumb over vista but right now I want to get a linux for this p100...puppy does not function as the programs are to heavy..I am not sure if there is means of alteration and do not want to mess with it until I am convinced it is worth the effort...dsl installed to my DX2-66mhz with X but offered less functionality so I put it on a pent1 with 48meg ram and a swap file and added programs that work...ie xmms and xmms alarm plays mp3 and will wake me up in the morning, gqview will allow me to plug the digi in and view a slide show of pics and set one as wallpaper, xcalc works, jpilot works, opera works, sylpheed works, blablabla..but the live cd gave me reason to play..because some stuff worked and I got good support from the forum..maby I need to be more specific..why do I need to ide=nodma and can I turm dma on after it's running...binderdundat no response
I already have dsl on an old box and a thumb that plays movies..
.I'm lookin at puppy..guess the idea is like it or leave it and if I do not have a new computer I should get one...I do not get it...got several...but want to play with linux on a pent100 with functionality...there are far to many going into the trash for no good reason there is nothing wrong with them they just need an operating system...win95/98 work fine but the MS police are always on the look out so linux is the alternative. YAYA who put a quarter in me..maby feather works.

jonyo

#6 Post by jonyo »

Maybe this'll help. Scroll down to the 9th post.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15
---------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>
-Pentium 100 with 32MB of RAM

buck

#7 Post by buck »

Well thanks, I appreciate that...I already installed basic to the dx2 ...guess everyone agrees puppy will not work so will try something else...

ezeze5000

#8 Post by ezeze5000 »

I guess about the slowest PC I ever loaded Puppy on was a laptop
with 150mhz processor, 128mb of ram, and 4gb hard drive.
Although the first time I booted it, it only had 48mb of ram.

A lot of times when I tried to install puppy, my boot errors were caused
by the CD ROM drive. Even though it seemed ok in windows or DOS.
I would swap the drive for another one, and Puppy would boot fine.

A lot of times windows hardware installers put the hard drive on the
second IDE controller, puppy doesn't seem to like that.

You might do a ram check with a good program. Windows and dos
doesn't show flaws in ram like puppy does,(windows waits until you
are right in the middle of something important first), puppy shows the
memory flaw right away. I use puppy to test systems hardware, on crashed
windows PC's.
Try re-seating the video card (if its not built into the motherboard) I have
found this to help on older PC's.

I load puppy on PC's for people all the time (including dual boots).
A lot of older folks love puppy (mainly for ease of use and the price is right
FREE of course)

I still recommend the puppy-2.13-seamonkey-fulldrivers
FULLDRIVERS is the key word here.

Please just try a few of the items I mentioned, I bet they will help.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

basslord1124

#10 Post by basslord1124 »

I'd say it's possible it may not work with that hardware b/c of its speed. I use Puppy on my slow machines. The slowest one I have it on now is a Pentium CPU @ 200Mhz and 64MB RAM. It runs decently except mp3 playback can be choppy if I do other things at the same time. I am looking to upgrade the RAM in it anyways, unfortunately the max it'll take is 128MB.

For your machine, I'd recommend going CLI. I don't know if there are any Linux based GUIs that will run on that one.

buck

#11 Post by buck »

Well...THANKS for all response...I do not want to wear out my welcome as I may need more help with the thumb install later...win98 works fine on this old box so I will leave it. I'm not haveing any fun. but now have several puppy and feather amoung others to play with on faster equipment...Thanks again and sorry if it appeared negative it was not the intension. I will avoid aquirering under pent3 in the future.

ONE LAST...why do all these linux NOT include the spell checker for abiword...is it a size issue on linux..curious

jonyo

#12 Post by jonyo »

What's CLI?
basslord1124 wrote:For your machine, I'd recommend going CLI

jonyo

#13 Post by jonyo »

Point I was trying to make is that it's practically impossible to wreck vista (or anything) by trying out puppy 2.13 live cd. You just have to be sure when shutting down that you chose NOT to save anything.

Even if a mistake is made there (& I've done a lot worse..) the risk to xp or anything, Imo, is slim to none by trying out live cd on any machine.

It 's very functional & even allows surfing the net without touching windows, or any other operating system, that may already be loaded on a computer.

I'm running pup 2.13 live cd on ~ 6 machines that already have win xp.

I haven't come across any other operating systems, (not that I've tried that many..) that is as fast (none as far as that goes) & easy as puppy; not to mention just plain fun :D
buck wrote:LoL..why would I suggest vista and xp users give it a download if I did not know it would serve a purpose..The point is if you have 128megs of ram the live cd will not run on 100mhz...I am looking for a linux that will..why would anyone who just got vista be playing with puppy unless vista crashed attempting to install a usefull program...they would be playing with vista..I use dsl on a thumb over xp as I refuse to connect xp to the net...thought I would try puppy on a thumb over vista but right now I want to get a linux for this p100...puppy does not function as the programs are to heavy..I am not sure if there is means of alteration and do not want to mess with it until I am convinced it is worth the effort...dsl installed to my DX2-66mhz with X but offered less functionality so I put it on a pent1 with 48meg ram and a swap file and added programs that work...ie xmms and xmms alarm plays mp3 and will wake me up in the morning, gqview will allow me to plug the digi in and view a slide show of pics and set one as wallpaper, xcalc works, jpilot works, opera works, sylpheed works, blablabla..but the live cd gave me reason to play..because some stuff worked and I got good support from the forum..maby I need to be more specific..why do I need to ide=nodma and can I turm dma on after it's running...binderdundat no response
I already have dsl on an old box and a thumb that plays movies..
.I'm lookin at puppy..guess the idea is like it or leave it and if I do not have a new computer I should get one...I do not get it...got several...but want to play with linux on a pent100 with functionality...there are far to many going into the trash for no good reason there is nothing wrong with them they just need an operating system...win95/98 work fine but the MS police are always on the look out so linux is the alternative. YAYA who put a quarter in me..maby feather works.
Last edited by jonyo on Thu 15 Feb 2007, 15:59, edited 4 times in total.

basslord1124

#14 Post by basslord1124 »

jonyo wrote:What's CLI?
basslord1124 wrote:For your machine, I'd recommend going CLI
Command Line Interface. No graphical/Window manager installed.

jonyo

#15 Post by jonyo »

I'm curious too. Anyone?
buck wrote: ONE LAST...why do all these linux NOT include the spell checker for abiword...is it a size issue on linux..curious

buck

#16 Post by buck »

ok ..back to puppy

Jonyo...good point on the DONOTSAVE but you may have misunderstood the joke...before I got vista home there were already three updates and a problem with speech synth...and I hear installs of third party software can be problematic on occassion...puppy in this case offers quick desktop while you consider what you just did and can maby get you online to seek help.

ezeze5000...good points also...when I boot on the machine I burned on, it does not require puppy ide=nodma to boot, so the cd drive is part of the problem..and the rest I believe to be the 100mhz..not sure if install with swap improves this as I was just running the live cd...as I mentioned dsl on a similar machine required install with swap and adding low resourse programs for functionality..a bit tricky for a total novice but impressive in the end. I think adding spell checking to abiword was the most frustrating.

When I attempted to make a dial up connection for puppy it noted that I needed to be root..I typed sudo in the console but was then lost..newbies...all the same..instruction is good and got me all the wa y to add before the message poped up...

by the way lots of info...like that...but did not find the solution...thanks

jonyo

#17 Post by jonyo »

Haven't figured that one out myself, but downloaded dotpup firefox ver2, & it has a built in spellchecker..(i think)..
buck wrote:I think adding spell checking to abiword was the most frustrating.

jonyo

#18 Post by jonyo »

Suggest it's better to get an answer with a specific question. I think the main answer you're lookin for is this part?
----------------------------------------------------------------
"When I attempted to make a dial up connection for puppy it noted that I needed to be root..I typed sudo in the console but was then lost..newbies...all the same..instruction is good and got me all the wa y to add before the message poped up...

by the way lots of info...like that...but did not find the solution...thanks"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Might be better to start a topic with pup '2.13 dial up modem problem' (or something like that..) & then providing detailed info about that particular thing; along with computer information. I'm not realy sure what's going on here. IMO answers come faster by dealing with one thing at a time. I'm pretty sure there are 2 machines, one wont boot, the other one is up & running but there's a dial up modem connection problem. Don't know which computer has what problem.
buck wrote:ok ..back to puppy

Jonyo...good point on the DONOTSAVE but you may have misunderstood the joke...before I got vista home there were already three updates and a problem with speech synth...and I hear installs of third party software can be problematic on occassion...puppy in this case offers quick desktop while you consider what you just did and can maby get you online to seek help.

ezeze5000...good points also...when I boot on the machine I burned on, it does not require puppy ide=nodma to boot, so the cd drive is part of the problem..and the rest I believe to be the 100mhz..not sure if install with swap improves this as I was just running the live cd...as I mentioned dsl on a similar machine required install with swap and adding low resourse programs for functionality..a bit tricky for a total novice but impressive in the end. I think adding spell checking to abiword was the most frustrating.

When I attempted to make a dial up connection for puppy it noted that I needed to be root..I typed sudo in the console but was then lost..newbies...all the same..instruction is good and got me all the wa y to add before the message poped up...

Last edited by jonyo on Fri 16 Feb 2007, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

#19 Post by jonyo »

I don't know how it's possible to harm a machine, or system, by running live cd & not saving. I can get online wifi running live cd & not saving anything, but I also have no quams saving a file to all my systems that already have operating systems on them.

Barely bother with windows :evil: anymore (or other linuxes..); to much baloney & to slow for me. . :D
buck wrote:ok ..back to puppy

Last edited by jonyo on Fri 16 Feb 2007, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

buck

#20 Post by buck »

jonyo wrote:Suggest it's better to get an answer with a specific question.
yes I agree and will do that.

posting to clarify

there is only the one machine. pent100, 128 meg ram, had 52x cdrom

I have replaced the 52x cdrom with a 24x cdrom ( thanks ezeze5000)
and now no longer need to type at boot:puppy ide=nodma

..puppy simply boots up..I click us for keyboard and xvesa@800x600 16

This leaves me at the puppy desktop

the dillo help says useable ram is noted in the bottom thing next to the volume
on mine it is purple in color and shows 7.2M..very low ..

tested mail...would open in 67 secs...ok.. ram? or processor?..etc etc so not so functional really...but since puppy is totally in ram maby thats normal.
.my thought..perhaps an install with swap and some low resource pupgets would help if so good to know but not ready..need all the hardware
..tested connect...
not recognizing the modem..uses serial mouse.. so no port for an external modem

tried an internal fm8818 with rockwell chipset and switches ( com 3 and irq7) and com3 irq?5 i think...did not do all irq
serial mouse is likely com1?ttso?
will not load the serial mouse with the modem in box loads ps2
take it out and serial mouse detected

no questions here just clarification of what I had time to do with puppy

not sure how to proceed...what do I ask

so decided to give up on the " project pent1box" not puppy..like it..well the look anyway have not actually used it yet..maby the next box

just not sure how to proceed