Thanks for spacereplace!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Bancobusto

Thanks for spacereplace!

#1 Post by Bancobusto »

GuestToo made this into a dot pup, I believe. And I finally installed it and I must say thanks, thanks, THANKS for this....

I know that this is an incredibly simple program, but I was in the process of renaming over 25gig's worth of mp3's so that I could play them from the commanline... yes, piracy is bad, I know, but my point is that almost every damn one of them had spaces in the name, making it impossible to navigate to them by cd'ing.

So, again, thanks for making this into a dotpup, I never would have thought that it would be so easy...

See what Windows does to people's minds? Linux does the work f o r you, hmmm.....

:!:

Cheers

doopdoop

#2 Post by doopdoop »

You can navigate through trees with spaces in the name quite easily if you use tab filename completion. If you do not know this tremendously useful feature here is how it works:

e.g. if you want to cd to /usr/X11R6/share

type withou

Code: Select all

cd /u
without return and press TAB
Your shell will complete it automagically to

cd /usr/
now type X and again TAB
and it expands to

cd /usr/X11R6/
then s and TAB ...

If the prefix is not unique, the shell will expand the filename as much as possible. If you press TAB again it will give you a list of matching filenames.

File Name completion also works for spaces
Assume you have a subdirectory "My Music"
Simply type

cd My 
and press TAB.
It expands to

cd My\ Music
\ is the escaping signal, which means treat the space after that literally and not as a seperator of arguments.
Another way would be to type

cd "My Music"

Bancobusto

#3 Post by Bancobusto »

That

GuestToo
Puppy Master

Re: Thanks for spacereplace!

#4 Post by GuestToo »

Bancobusto wrote:GuestToo made this into a dot pup, I believe
actually, it was Bruce B who made the Spacereplace dotpup

i suspect you don't need to be renaming your mp3's

gxine and xmms can use playlists, for example

if you have a desktop icon, you can select the mp3's you want to play/add to the playlist, and drag them to the desktop shortcut ... you can save the playlist if you like

Bancobusto

#5 Post by Bancobusto »

:oops:

Sorry Bruce B, let me re-direct my thanks at you...

I find that creating playlist to be quite time-consuming, and without the playlist, Xine doesn't really like files with spaces in their names... About half the time it spits out an error.

Anyhow, I guess that you're right, it's not the most important thing to remame all the files... but it's too late now, as it only took about 3-4 minutes.

Thanks all :lol:

Listening to audio books on mp3 player

#6 Post by Guest »

We've strayed off the original topic, but that's OK; I have a burning question that fits here. :)

Is there a way to combine mp3 tracks, from several CDs, into one folder, and have the tracks play in the correct order on my mp3 player? ('Correct' being defined as 'in the order the CDs were added to the folder.')

I convert books-on-CDs into mp3s, to listen to them on my mp3 player. The problem is, I've seen books that fill 25 CDs, each with from 10 to 20 tracks. None of the ripping-and-mp3-converting programs I've tried is designed to handle this situation. They can't combine the tracks from several CDs into one folder without mixing up the tracks, unless I renumber the tracks manually. On the other hand, my mp3 player can only handle folders one layer deep. So, in order for me to listen to a book, each CD has to be a separate folder, as though it were another album. I would rather combine all the tracks from the book into one folder which contains all the mp3 tracks numbered in sequential order. However, renumbering 150 tracks by hand gets pretty tedious.

Is there a simple way?

Bancobusto

#7 Post by Bancobusto »

If I understand you correctly, I have a solution.

I came across this when I was using Windows and downloading a lot of "stuff" last year.

You can create a " n o n c o m p r e s s e d " archive (either .rar, .tar, doesnt matter as long as it's not compressed at all. ZERO compression.

For example, say the non-compressed archive is called fav_book.tar.

You would rename it to fav_book.tar.mp3.

Then you could play it on just about any media player.

This is assuming that the tracks are ripped as mp3's.

Oh, and I don't know how to set the compression rate of a tar archive through the command line. But I've done it with a program called File-Roller on Debian, there may be the option to create an uncompressed archive in TKZip, I'm not sure.

Hope that help! :)

EDIT:

So, to get them to play in the right order, say you had 37 folders that you were gonna create into one archive, you would name each folder a number going up, you know?

01, 02, 03 etc.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

if you right click the rox window, click Display, Sort by Date ... then right click and click Select All (or select which ones you want, for example, by holding the ctrl key and clicking mp3's to select them) ... then drag the selected mp3's to the xmms shortcut ... it will add the selected mp3's to the playlist, in date order (last added plays first)

you can edit the playlist (click the PL button to see the playlist) ... and save the playlist to a file

if you want the first added to play first, you can right click the xmms playlist and click Sort, Sort List, By Date (first added to the list plays first)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Bancobusto wrote:[snip]So, to get them to play in the right order, say you had 37 folders that you were gonna create into one archive, you would name each folder a number going up, you know?

01, 02, 03 etc.
Thanks, Bancobusto. (I already number the individual CDs: Name_of_Book CD01; Name_of_Book CD02; etc., so I'm halfway there already.)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

by the way, i don't seem to have problems with spaces ... the xmms playlist seems to handle them ok
http://tinypic.com/9ve4ut.jpg