Puppy 2.15CE - Icewm Themes

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
WhoDo

#16 Post by WhoDo »

Eyes-Only wrote:While we're at it on "ideas": Back here awhile ago, and I can't recall the thread (though Lobster might) a person posted a "fix" to the "Wizard Wizard" for the mouse settings in Puppy 2.xx series to make the mouse left-handed. ...[snip]... Interested?

Apparently the coding makes a radio button that you can tick off for left/right-handedness and is set right-handed by default.
Yes. I'm about to create our Puppy 2.14CE: Development Ideas/Requests under Cutting Edge. Please post there when you get a chance.

Cheers

WhoDo

#17 Post by WhoDo »

Button mock-ups for discussion, as requested by both Pizzasgood and Eyes-Only. Obviously other colors are possible for each theme.

Any suggestions/comments?

Feverfew

#18 Post by Feverfew »

Hi yall.

I jest had to put my to cents in hope yall don't mind :) I like IcebergX its my fave so far.

oh the start menu butins I personally like the paw print "Menu"
the one without the circle, thars nathing rong with the "Start" one
but I'd like puppy to not be a complete Vista Clon... Yall Can do better then that :twisted:

I to like the green desktop it is ez'er to read taskbar
and the open windows, and did Pizzasgood say a gray ish taskbar? because that would look great :D

oh yeah, almost forgot the reason that I didn't like the "launch"
is it feels wrong somehow I think its to close to the edge of the button.

WhoDo you're doing a great job :!: *thumbsup*

Sincerely. Few

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#19 Post by mbutts »

the red and green desktop examples are really great. course i like green to start with. i like the richness of the colours. icon wise im partial to anything shiney, wet, or translucent. im still looking for icons myself on my own version i run and when i find one i like i add it. unfortuantly i dont have a theme. its a hodgepodge of what looks nice for each desktop program but with no noticable theme. you do a lot of time consuming work for the forum and we appreciate what your doing. very nice work whodo. as far as the start buttons my 2 cents worth. i like the lower paw print with start. i like my puppy just a lil bit WILD just like a like my women.... just a LIL bit. and that paw print looks outdoorsie. maybe even may i say bold and daring. damn now if i cud just customize women like ths........ opps off subject sorry....hehe. i like START because it is more windows like and we want ppl to feel comfortable with the start button. especially MS challanged persons. (my opinion) now the upper paw is cool. id put it more in the business enviroment or maybe kids, women or just a general class of computer user. its great and ive loved it from the first time i saw the larger pictures of the circled paw. id still keep the START on it. once again my opinion. hopefully more ppl will chime in and let u know. CE name wise im partial to Velvet. not sure why but it caught my eye. maybe cause it sounds sexy. and its not close to sounding like vista. wierd when i think about it. i like start cuz its windows like but not anything close to vista cuz thats like windows. maybe i need to see a theropist like the insurance tv commercials here in the states with the cave man. got any ink blots whodo????? cheers!

Eyes-Only

#20 Post by Eyes-Only »

Oh Lordy! Don't get me started on GEICO commercials! LOL! :lol: Time to drop the caveman and keep the cute Gecko. Of course, having been a Gecko programmer in my past life I could be prejudiced? :D

I'm with MrButts and Feverfew though on the Launchers WhoDo: The "Start" and the "Menu" ones are great. "Menu" without the circle/just the paw-print most likely I'd say and for "Start" maybe with the circle. But the one with "Launch" is far too crowded. But they're all beautiful and far better than I could've ever done believe me! You've done an outstanding job throughout!

I used to be a Gecko themer (for the K-Meleon Browser) until my shaking hands put an end to it. So had it not been for that I'd be right in here getting my hands dirty with you believe me! Puppy is easier to theme for than some browser thanks to ROX. :)

I'm also with them on the Green Theme idea: It's gorgeous, sleek, "sexy" (if a theme can possibly BE such?), puts one in mind of "That Other System"---without BEING that other system---and therefore says psychologically to the user, "This shouldn't be hard to use at all!" (By the way, coming over from 98se myself that was the first reaction I had looking at Puppy 2.01 with JWM as opposed to other Linux distros which looked VERY intimidating for just starting out as I was!)

And that's it: I think I just hit the nail on the head here. It's the whole psychology of it when I looked at this desktop in 2.14 with the Velvet Green (?) last night. It said, "This is easy. It's not going to be difficult to use." And this is just what someone needs to know, plus that it'll "just work", when coming over from XP because they don't want to upgrade to Vista---or from Vista because they're tired of all the warnings they have to click on just to sit in the chair and look at the screen.

Oops! I'm not known for my brevity once I get going. Sorry... :(

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
(P/s: Thanks Mark for posting the icons! Got them! I'm heading over to 2.14 now to install them---and thanks too WhoDo for ALL of your hard work and dedication! Time for me to SHHH!)
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Pizzasgood

#21 Post by Pizzasgood »

I just installed the new IceWM binaries that G2 posted. The bug with having a transparent CPU graph seems to be gone now, so you can make the IceBergX theme look even better by enabling that. All you do is replace these lines:

Code: Select all

ColorCPUStatusIdle="rgb:78/93/b1"
ColorNetIdle="rgb:78/93/b1"
with this:

Code: Select all

ColorCPUStatusIdle=""
ColorNetIdle=""
That can be done for any theme. It makes them look much better, because the gradients in the taskbar show through the graphs.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

#22 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:I just installed the new IceWM binaries that G2 posted. The bug with having a transparent CPU graph seems to be gone now, so you can make the IceBergX theme look even better by enabling that.
Yep. That's definitely better. Pity I can't do the same with the background for blinky. That would be really cool! 8)

WhoDo

#23 Post by WhoDo »

Feverfew wrote:I jest had to put my to cents in hope yall don't mind :) I like IcebergX its my fave so far.
Please add your vote to the poll on this post.
Feverfew wrote: oh the start menu butins I personally like the paw print "Menu"
the one without the circle, thars nathing rong with the "Start" one
but I'd like puppy to not be a complete Vista Clon... Yall Can do better then that :twisted:

I to like the green desktop it is ez'er to read taskbar
and the open windows, and did Pizzasgood say a gray ish taskbar? because that would look great :D
You can vote for your preferred theme in the other thread. I'm happy with the green velvet one too.

Thanks for your input and words of encouragement.

WhoDo

#24 Post by WhoDo »

mbutts wrote:got any ink blots whodo?????
Don't forget to vote for your preferences in the two polls, and thanks for your input and encouragement. It is much appreciated. :wink:

As for the ink blots, if you stare at the puppy paw long enough, what do you see? :P

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#25 Post by Pizzasgood »

There are a bunch of duplicate options. :?

Also, Velvet should just be one option. The color can be decided if it's chosen. Otherwise people might dilute their votes between very similar items.

EDIT: And it didn't record my vote for the top IceBergX. (in terms of appearance alone, am torn between VistaBlack and IcebergX. I chose IcebergX because it looks less like Vista and other than Gorilla, I like light themes more).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WhoDo

#26 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:There are a bunch of duplicate options. :?

Also, Velvet should just be one option. The color can be decided if it's chosen. Otherwise people might dilute their votes between very similar items.
Yes, and they weren't there when the poll was posted, either! :? Unfortunately I cannot edit them now without losing the votes cast so far. Puppy users are smart. They'll figure it out.

A vote for any velvet theme will be considered a vote for Velvet, period, as per your suggestion.

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#27 Post by mbutts »

hey whodo where is the link to the poll for the name? i did a search and didnt find it yet.
speaking of velvet and colors reminds me of bobby vintons song about blue velvet....
yeah i looked at the puppy paw ink blot..... i keep seeing penguins and polar bears.... i dont think it has anything to do with linux or my av though. also, i now have an uncontrollable desire to find a soft comfy couch to lay down on.

WhoDo

#28 Post by WhoDo »

mbutts wrote:hey whodo where is the link to the poll for the name? i did a search and didnt find it yet.
speaking of velvet and colors reminds me of bobby vintons song about blue velvet....
yeah i looked at the puppy paw ink blot..... i keep seeing penguins and polar bears.... i dont think it has anything to do with linux or my av though. also, i now have an uncontrollable desire to find a soft comfy couch to lay down on.
The poll has expired, because Lobster grasped the chance in one of his massive claws and unilaterally named the project "Viz". That's what's called a "discussion ender". :lol:

Blue Velvet .... oh, yeah. You're definitely a refugee from MY era! :P

Those penguins and polar bears do have a strangely somnambulistic effect - relaxing to the point of sleepiness. 8)

Cheers

bostonvaulter

#29 Post by bostonvaulter »

hey, I like the velvet themes, but they don't seem to show an outline when i drag windows around. Oh, and I'm using Icewm.

WhoDo

#30 Post by WhoDo »

bostonvaulter wrote:hey, I like the velvet themes, but they don't seem to show an outline when i drag windows around. Oh, and I'm using Icewm.
Ok, I'm gonna need just a wee bit more info here:

What Puppy version? What Icewm version (right click on taskbar and choose About)?

When I drag Rox 2.5 windows around I don't see "outlines" either - I see the entire window and its contents! I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here.

Cheers

bostonvaulter

#31 Post by bostonvaulter »

puppy version 1.1.4
icewm version 1.2.28

when i drag things around in my other themes, all I see is an outline. I don't see the contents of the window. So in this theme I don't have an outline so I have to guess about where I'm placing the window.

I've changed quite a few of the options in icewm, so that may be why you see the contents of the window and I only see the outline.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the themes, I think I like the red one best.

Hope this clears up everything.

WhoDo

#32 Post by WhoDo »

bostonvaulter wrote:puppy version 1.1.4
icewm version 1.2.28
Guesttoo has posted and upgrade for Icewm to 1.2.30 - I don' t know if that will make any difference but it's worth a try. The themes were created on Puppy 2.14 so I don't really have any way of testing to see whether it's just a configuration issue with preferences file. Sorry.

Hope that helps

bostonvaulter

#33 Post by bostonvaulter »

where did he post that version? I looked at the wiki dotpups and the ones at puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups but I was unable to find it.

Pizzasgood

#34 Post by Pizzasgood »

Attached to the forum, I think.
Lets see... here the are:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 35&t=15292

bostonvaulter

#35 Post by bostonvaulter »

I tried updating icewm to 1.2.30 but it made my icewm unable to start up. But i did figure out that if I set moveopaque back to 1, it would show the contents of the window while I moved it. I think I prefer just the outline but this will work fine. Thanks for all the help.