TV-OUT on VIA EPIA

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
charwood

TV-OUT on VIA EPIA

#1 Post by charwood »

I am running 2.13 on a VIA EPIA M6000 box

Using XVESA I get an ok picture on my PAL TV - not perfect but ok.

Using XORG the picture gets even worse. My hardware is identified as "via" but vendor id etc are unknown.

Also xorgwizard lists CRT / LCD but not TV.

Can anyone give me any hints on how to best configure xorg in order to improve image quality ?

Do I need to manually modify xorg.conf ?

tempestuous

Re: TV-OUT on VIA EPIA

#2 Post by tempestuous »

charwood wrote:Do I need to manually modify xorg.conf ?
Yes. The wizard will only do basic setup. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in geany.
In Section "Device", make sure that you have Driver "via", because the xorg wizard might have set up the generic "vesa" driver, which will certainly not support advanced features. Still in Section "Device" add these 3 lines -

Option "ActiveDevice" "CRT,TV" ## can be one, or both
Option "TVType" "NTSC" ## or "PAL"
Option "TVOutput" "Composite" ## or "S-Video"

These options are ONLY valid for the via xorg driver. Other xorg drivers do support TV out, but their options are often worded differently.

And I recommend you install the 3D graphics drivers for your Epia. Your modestly-powered device will benefit dramatically, especially for DVD playback using XvMC acceleration.

charwood

Much better thanks

#3 Post by charwood »

Thanks (again) for your help. The picture is much better now.

Is there any way of avoiding the scaling ?

I guess that the screen is something like 800 x 600 with 720 x 576 visible.

Is it safe to use xvidtune ?

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

I know there are advanced/optimised configurations for TV output, but I don't know the exact details.

Your first move should probably be to modify the xorg.conf to the native standard-definition PAL resolution - 720x576. This would eliminate scaling.

It might then be necessary to change the refresh rate (to 50 Hz) and maybe horizontal frequency, too.
Now that you are optimising for TV output, don't connect a normal computer monitor - it may become damaged.

I remember seeing somewhere on a Home Theatre Centre website a setup explained which had 2 separate Screen configurations defined - one for a computer monitor, and one for a TV monitor. Then both monitors could be connected simultaneously, and both have optimum settings.