Need help booting puppy from USB flash drive

Booting, installing, newbie
ineedhelp

Need help booting puppy from USB flash drive

#1 Post by ineedhelp »

I tried to boot puppy from a 128mb flash drive but it says somthing about formating a partitioning. I think i missed a step becuase all i did was extract the iso and then copy and paste it onto the flash drive

inneedofsomehelp

#2 Post by inneedofsomehelp »

I read somwhere that i need to create a file called usb somthing but i cant find that info again. I am running low on time and patient so i need some help

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Hold your horses there, pardner. Have you looked here yet?

Bancobusto

#4 Post by Bancobusto »

Hey, great work Flash!

langecom

#5 Post by langecom »

Hi,

I loaded puppy linux into my usb pen drive sucessfully using the latest live-cd 1.0.4.

However, when I initially booted it up using floppy Wakepup 1.0, it came out the errors below. It simply prompted me the login prompt. Also PUP100 was not created.

cp-FULL: cannot create regular file '/root/.mprc': Invalid argument
cp-FULL: cannot create directory '/root/.packages': Invalid argument

mount: Mount none on /usr failed: Invalid argument.....

Can someone help?
Thanks,
Richard

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

langecom, what size usb stick is this and what filesystem is on the stick? fat32 or fat16?

Which install option did you use, the usb option?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

nameless foo

#7 Post by nameless foo »

Heres what I did:
Disabled both IDE controllers in bios so windoz would "think" the usb drive was the primary drive and booted from a windoz boot floppy (freedos works also) and at the a:\ prompt I ran fdisk and created a vfat (fat16) partition and set the boot flag (set active partition) then had to reboot to be able to format (another windoz quirck). Once I had a bootable formated partition I enabled both IDE controllers and booted from the Live CD and installed Puppy to the USB drive.

langecom

#8 Post by langecom »

Hi danleff

My usb stick is 128m. I used Win98 fdisk and format to partition the stick as msdos - fat16?

From Livecd, I installed using usb option.

When I booted up from the stick, I could see usr_cram.fs and image.gz were loaded. The boot up looked good until the errors I mentioned earlier came out. I do not know if there were any more errors before the errors I found... because the screen scrolled so fast.