live cd used to boot , setup scsi emulation, now it doesnt

Using applications, configuring, problems
tinkerer

live cd used to boot , setup scsi emulation, now it doesnt

#1 Post by tinkerer »

I have been using puppy 1.0.1 it worked fine until I got a cd r. I setup scsi emulation, it worked a few times now cd does not boot.
the last messages at boot up are
freeing /dev/ram0 memory DONE
puppy is now running in tmpfs ramdisk, mounted on / scsi subsystem driver revision 1.00

then it just hangs and does nothing.

I tried resetting bios,
I also removed backup battery for a few minutes
I tried booting with no hard disk
I tried booting with a different hard disk
I tried booting with a different cd
I downloaded puppy 1.0.4 and tried booting with this

no change in the results

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks

:D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Do you mean you replaced your old CD drive with a new one? Did you mean you got a CD-RW, or a CD-R? What hardware and software did you use to burn 1.0.4? If you replaced your old CD drive, try putting the old one back in.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

from what I've read I think the problem may be in the pupxxx file.

if you think so also, try renaming it and reboot again.

tinkerer

#4 Post by tinkerer »

I burned with a liteon external cd rw using deepburner and win98, I have never had problems with this combination. This is the combination i used to create the older puppy cd and the newest puppy cd, There is no pupxxx file on the harddrive (I tried with a completely different hard drive. I tried with the original cd drive also. I am at a loss as to what may be happening. booting just stops with no error messages. win98 boots fine, DSL boots fine. BEATRIX boots fine. No error messages with any other program.

I am wondering if the memory on the pc may be bad

when I turn on the pc and go into setup i see that base memory is 640k extended is 126M

I dont know just a hunch ??

tepy

Same Deal

#5 Post by tepy »

I just burned puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso booted, and got the exact same hang on the scsi,

I've got no scsi devices, everything is IDE. Can I comment out the scsi driver and then reburn the iso image somehow? BTW, I'm using a ReWritable drive and CD-R cds. Not that it matters, I don't think ... does it?

danleff

#6 Post by danleff »

Here I go again. Burn the Puppy iso file at 2X if possible and see if ths works.

And your sure that you got a good download by checking the md5sum on the downloaded iso file?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith