Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Development Ideas/Requests

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pizzasgood

#101 Post by Pizzasgood »

I agree about no auto-mount when you plug stuff in. I do like the idea of a checkbox to mount a partition on boot-up.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nathan F

#102 Post by Nathan F »

IIRC Knoppix places drive icons on the desktop; when you click them they mount.
That feature is implemented using Hal, which I commented on earlier so I won't repeat myself. It might be possible to code something up for Puppy that knows when a new drive is inserted, but it would be remarkably similar to Hal anyway because it would have to be a background daemon that keeps scanning the system buses to find anything new. Also, adding a desktop icon is kind of complicated in ROX, it would be probably easier to implement a tray application probably. Bear in mind I'm not advocating doing this, I'm just providing some background information on the mechanics of it.

The idea to be able to mount certain things at bootup is a good one, though. I have that set up manually on my computer just by adding in lines to rc.local. A gui for setting it up would be a good idea though.

Anyone ever used vasm in Vector Linux? That has always been a shining example of a good overall control panel for a Linux distro. It runs in both cli and gui modes and can set up anything from user accounts to mountpoints to hostname.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

veronicathecow

#103 Post by veronicathecow »

Printing, definitely a weakness. Okay lets face it, it ain't working at the moment (okay I'm no guru but I've given it a really good go.) Perhaps latest CUPS might work. I've posted a request for a Dotpup for that. Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to Windows or someother distro. 8-(

WhoDo

#104 Post by WhoDo »

veronicathecow wrote:Printing, definitely a weakness. Okay lets face it, it ain't working at the moment (okay I'm no guru but I've given it a really good go.) Perhaps latest CUPS might work. I've posted a request for a Dotpup for that. Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to Windows or someother distro. 8-(
What's the difficulty you are experiencing? Does it relate to a specific printer make/model?

I can't get Puppy to print across my LAN to a Windows samba host with a HP PSC2310 all-in-one, but I have zero trouble getting Puppy to print locally, either with Xpdq or Cups 0.3.

I know you've probably tried a lot of things, but let's have one more go before you defect to the dark side, eh? :P

zigbert

#105 Post by zigbert »

Nathan F wrote:It might be possible to code something up for Puppy that knows when a new drive is inserted, but it would be remarkably similar to Hal anyway because it would have to be a background daemon that keeps scanning the system buses to find anything new.
The only thing we need to know are IF something is plugged in; THEN run mut/pmount.

rarsa

#106 Post by rarsa »

veronicathecow wrote:Printing, definitely a weakness.
On whose part?

Printing works quite nice with printers that support linux.

That is something that most users do not seem to understand.

It is the printer which must support linux, not the other way around.

Printers work in Windows not because Windows, it is because the vendors create the appropriate drivers.

If a printer vendor didn't provide a driver for Windows, Would you rate it as a Windows bug?

Mac users have known this for a long time, so they just buy peripherals that have the Mac logo outside.

That people have made some printers work in linux when the vendor does not support linux is a testament to the tenacity of those individuals, not something "to be expected".

If your printer vendor does not support Linux, take it with them. Advice your friends and acquitances to stop buying those printers.

And please do not respond with "the user does not care whose fault it is". Well, they should be informed so they know who to take their grief to.

If they want to use linux, they should get linux compatible peripherals. And that is true for Mac or Vista or whatever OS.

============
P.S.
Do not buy Lexmark printers. Lexmark is notorious for not supporting Linux. They are even late providing drivers for Vista!
Lexmark printers are expensive even when they come "free" with the computer. I pay $80-$100 to get new ink cartridges at least twice a year with very light use.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

NathanO

#107 Post by NathanO »

I have an HP 1220C printer. Using CUPS under Puppy It was found and configured no porblem. I can print no problem. I also did not have any problems getting it to work under various other distors such as Fedora, Knoppix, and SUSE.

I have not been able to get the printer to work with the Puppy Printer Wizzard. Ihave tryed to get it to work starting with Puppy 2.11 right on through 2.14.

I know CUPS would be more 'overhead', but if it works with a larger group of printers, and we do not put all of CUPS in memory, just the parts needed to 'print the job', allowing all the other needed parts to be 'overlayed' when setting up a new printer or doing major changes other then things like paper size, Portrait or Landscape, then Puppy becomes to more people a more user friendly way to go.

NathanO

rarsa

#108 Post by rarsa »

NathanO wrote:I know CUPS would be more 'overhead', but if it works with a larger group of printers
Oh, I agree that CUPS must be available.

My comment was about printers not supporting linux. If they support linux trough CUPS. Great!

So in the true spirit of this thread:
Here are some Ideas for Printing:
- Someone should take the initiative for including a larger selection of printers for the guttenprint included with with puppy. Barry has already requested it.
- I think CUPS should be available as an oficial PET but not on the base LiveCD.
- CUPS should be split into a Core package, and then one package per compatible driver.
- Create a CUPS printer wizard which help the user choose the best driver for their printer.

A lot of that work has already been started. Patk has done a great job building on top of some initial packages we created. People can get it from here

Something important is that Creating a CUPS set of packages is going to require a lot of patience and testing. It was great that I had two awesome testers when creating the original packages, but It was quite sad that I only had Two testers.

Not all the things on this list may be doable for 2.15, but If someone with enough time takes it seriously this could be the Great big thing for 2.15.

Nathan F

#109 Post by Nathan F »

The only thing we need to know are IF something is plugged in; THEN run mut/pmount.
Yes, I understand, and that doesn't change a single thing I said. There would have to be some background daemon monitoring the system buses that would know when new hardware is inserted. Trust me here, I'm not making this up.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

puppyfan12

#110 Post by puppyfan12 »

I've retracted my comment because it's off topic but is there a place that recommends which printers have the best support with puppy drivers?

Perhaps they could be listed in the puppy 2.15 manual? I still haven't had much luck printing from linux (even on reportedly working printers). I'm a graphics guy and print photos for dvd covers for lacrosse videos I film and edit and stuff. I had problems with email fonts using cups.

Is there a dotpup of hplip driver?
Joe D.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#111 Post by Lobster »

known working hardware including printers
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HardWare
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

gabriel_007

#112 Post by gabriel_007 »

Erm... Central European fonts could be added. Puppy 2.14 completely trashed all my settings, and installing Polish fonts (so I can type correctely in Seamonkey and Gaim) is a PAIN and I've been unable to set up my puppy correctely ever since. I remember previous editions of puppy required only to change the locale.

Dragonopolis

#113 Post by Dragonopolis »

Would like to see Icewm in place of JWM. Icewm is bigger but I believe is more stable, prettier, and has lots of themes. It seems that to get JWM to work and be themeable is taking to much hacking and the results are still nowhere near Icewm. However, I would like to see petgets for other window managers as well but the don't need to be included on the CD.

I against OpenOffice included. A powerful text editor/simple word processor for basic functionality is fine. If someone needs Openoffice they can download it themselves. I also hate it when people chop up programs. OpenOffice was ment to be an office suite not anything else. I've used chopped OpenOffice apps before but if there needs to be a critical fix you can't rely on OpenOffice Community to fix it and you have to rely on the maintainer who broke it up to patch. Better to stay true to the source but it doesn't hurt to offer both as a Pet package either.

Besides why have a powerful Office Suite if your OS/Distro can't find printers?
Cups needs to be included and way better printer recognition/configuration. If Distrowatch were to list Distros based soley on Printer support Puppy would drop a few notches

Linux is about choice just as much as about being open. Puppy should provide the ability for people to at least download a working media player with codecs or an up-to-date codec pack for the current media player. As most people have made it clear, Puppy tends to cater to the Windows Refugee and a Windows Refugee is going to have propriety formats on his/her drive that they are going to want to watch/listen. Converting a propriety format to a non-propriety format is also illegal in those same countries. So, we either take the Dictator like approach and force them to just use open source or we give them the choice to add it if they wish. Either way if some in that country either uses the codec or converts it so they can continue using Puppy they are going to break the law.

Offering people the choice to download doesn't place Puppy at any risk since there are places in the world were it is legal. The choice should be made by the end user not the developer but it is good to at least be able to download a Pet package at THIER own risk. While Linux is gaining popularity the Web still caters to propriety. There is bound to be websites that the Windows Refugee can't live without because there is no Open equivalent that is as good or informative.

I believe that the Open Source community would have more clout to push the world toward open source if every user was 80% open 20% close versus if it were 80% close vs 20% open. I don't know the exact percentages but believe me there is way more Closed source users than open source. I prefer we keep those that like to teeter on the edge rather than alienate them. Alienate them might switch them to some other distro which is pro-choice or worse back to 80-100% close source.

Of course I thought that Pet packagement was to suppose to be the "one to rule them all" If anything, I would hope that the Puppy Community would rally behind one package manager. I have/had my hopes up for Pet but the continuous cries for dotpups to be made makes me think that Petget was just a name change. Previous package management in puppy is almost as bad as Windows. If you want it you've got to find it. I hate going to individual Websites. It doesn't feel very community like. Barry, why don't you just put tabs in the Pet UI break it down into something like Official, Community, and Restricted. We would all have one place to go and all those libs and work that people put in to creating an alternative Puppy could be given back to the Puppy community without having to be a private detective or have multiple websites and CDs to download.

I wonder how much duplication has been going around because one creator hadn't downloaded another creators work and didn't know that the other had already got a certain lib that was needed and already a Petget made by another. If there was a place were all community members could go that wasn't a website that could download libs/tools/software they need to be creative would be nice. Be nice if Pet Package Management would also support scripts so community approved projects could just list their name and Puppy would fetch all the necessary files to change the Base Puppy to whatever (ie, Muppy, GraphPup, PuppyCE etc). Then, if someone decided they wanted to try/or needed a different version they could change with a click.

Wow, I must have read to many comments - Sorry about the length. Basically just cleanup Puppy with a more updated Xorg and Printer recognition. Bump up the Window manager to Icewm to give the Community version a slight different (and prettier) experience than base.
Keep the bloat out and centralize the software/lib options and give users more updated software/codecs options to download.

Can't wait for full virtualization in Puppy (like to see KVM support but a new kernel is asking way to much for 2.15). Yes there is VMplayer and QEMU-Puppy but at the kernel level is much better. Anybody have a Puppy or Muppy VM that is current - 1.07 is way old? :wink:

Dragonopolis

#114 Post by Dragonopolis »

rarsa

A little harsh and your logic is a little off. OS raps around the hardware used not the other way around. If anything the Hardware that is built is around windows not Linux. A lot of drivers that are offered in Linux were not written by the companies who created the hardware but the open source community. Thankfully, the popularity of Linux has seen increasing support from companies to see native drivers but not all of course are open source. Since Puppy caters to Windows refugees we must assume that the hardware they have was built for Windows. To say "just go out and get Linux peripherals" invites people to just stick with what works. We need to make Linux as accessible as possible so people will see the benefits of an open source OS.

You mention Mac and that is where you logic starts to taper. Macs have a low percentage of the market and a key reason is hardware cost to convert. I also believe that Vista is suffering this fate as well. People want their hardware to work and don't want to invest any more money in hardware to get it to work. Believe it not people, people will put up with DRM and closed source solutions rather than fork out more money just to get their already invested computer and peripherals to work. Ubuntu and Knoppix have excellent hardware detection so once people start to learn about Linux they will learn who is setting the standards. When and if we do make Puppy larger I'm sure people will forgive us for adding a few mb if Puppy delivers Triple A hardware detection.

rarsa

#115 Post by rarsa »

Dragonopolis wrote:A little harsh and your logic is a little off.
My post was not logic or opinion. It was about the facts... But I don't want to hijack this thread more than I have already ;)

Coranth

Puppy 2.15CE Request

#116 Post by Coranth »

I own a Toshiba Satellite Notebok Computer. It's a decent system -- 1.73GHz Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM, nVidia GeForce Go 7300 graphics chipset, four usb ports, firewire port, wireless lan... the usual stuff.

Now... Telstra Bigpond is my ISP, and I am connected to the Internet on WinXP via the Alcatel Speedtouch 530 modem (router?) that came with their ADSL self install kit. The Alcatel 530 is connected to my Notebook via a USB port.

I have tried looking about on the net for a way to get online in Linux with this particular modem, but to no avail; drivers for this modem are few and far between, and installation seems exceedingly complex. I am not ashamed to admit that I am a Linux Newbie; I know very little about Linux.

To be honest, all I want to do is boot up (insert distribution name here) and just get the hell online using the modem I have been given, without having to go through a complex and frustrating installation process. So...

Could somebody -please- create some decent support and/or drivers for the Thompson/Alcatel Speedtouch 530 modem, for Puppy Linux...

* If the modem is plugged into a USB port it should be detected at boot, and the appropriate -whatever- (drivers/kernel modules/firmware) for it should be loaded.

* (Perhaps run the -WinXP- driver(s) for it via some kind of tiny emulator? [ndiswrapper?, maybe...])

* Once the user has logged in, bring up an internet connection wizard/helper similar to the one on the Telstra Install CD... the user would enter his/her details (username/password etc.) ONCE, than the connection would be established via DHCP. Said settings would be saved at shutdown; from then on, whenever the user boots puppy the connection is -always- established / always on.

Is it possible for someone in this community to do this? Or, if this cannot be done, could somebody please provide me with a simple set of instructions for getting online with this type of Modem, via USB, *NOT* Ethernet? Please, do not speak to me of -PPPoE- because I cannot get online on this laptop over Ethernet; the one Ethernet Port on this modem is used for a shared Internet Connection, and my Notebook itself has no Ethernet Ports. Also, please do not speak to me of buying a new modem/router; I would like to use what I have been given! It works beautifully in Windows... why not in Linux?

I say again, if someone could create some decent support and/or drivers for the Thompson/Alcatel Speedtouch 530 modem, for Puppy Linux... or help me get online with said modem in Puppy, it would be appreciated... and not just by me! Thank you, to all who would help me.

Coranth

rarsa

Re: Puppy 2.15CE Request

#117 Post by rarsa »

Coranth wrote:Now... Telstra Bigpond is my ISP, and I am connected to the Internet on WinXP via the Alcatel Speedtouch 530 modem (router?)
Your Alcatel router/modem (they call it gateway) has an ethernet port so it is 100% supported by any linux.

Just get a standard ethernet network cable (RJ45) and connect it to your computer's network card.

If your computer is quite old and does not have a network card. install one. You should be able to get a 10 MBPs network card for about $1 or $2

Coranth

Alcatel Modem

#118 Post by Coranth »

Rarsa,

"Just get a standard ethernet network cable (RJ45) and connect it to your computer's network card."

I cannot do this. Firstly, my computer (which is NOT old) is a Notebook, and I cannot put a network card in it... unless you mean a tiny PCMCIA add-on card. But... puppy don't like PCMCIA; it won't boot unless I -disable- PCMCIA via boot options.

Additionally, the Ethernet Port on my Modem is already in use, for a shared internet connection on an HP/Packard Bell Computer that my Mother uses to access the net! I even tried to get O/L with puppy on -that- system -- no go. *sigh*

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Viz Voosh

#119 Post by Lobster »

I am coming up to my 5th day of using Puppy Viz 8)
Congratulations to everyone involved - my especial thanks to Vincent
our recently adopted mascot - hopefully he won't mind

I quite like the Olive Vista IceWM theme I am using
and have the default 2.14 icon arrangement which will be familiar for those using any of the 2.xx series Puppy
I prefer this arrangement to the cut down Alpha Viz buttons

In particular I find most users prefer MUT, I know I do
- though Barry uses pmount

Things I miss

the right click on desktop for menu in JWM
(this can I believe be done in IceWM?)

Kill
MTpaint 3.10 locked on me (boo!)
and I needed to kill - from the menu guys - not the prompt
nope - no option as in JWM

Composer - had to download NVU just to edit an HTML file
(I no longer hand code - thank you very much)

Any advice?
I think (someone mentioned this behaviour)
everyone thinks a community edition is gonna solve everything?
however . . .

It is important to be realistic and make small but important
changes that are reliable and fit with 2.16

Firefox is wanted and so that is a big step
IceWM is wanted that is a big step

Barry may move back to JWM and Semonkey
in 2.16 unless this is done right . . .

My feeling is just adding the updates and
prioritising on getting these two components
working for the beta is a realistic and achievable goal

We could have a beta release once a week
(release early, release often is the Linux philosophy)

Many are doing their bit are you helping?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Tasks

How are others getting on with Viz-a-voom?

Thanks Warren, thanks Vincent
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

wjaguar

#120 Post by wjaguar »

Lobster wrote:MTpaint 3.10 locked on me (boo!)
Is the problem reproducible at all? And if it is, how about reporting it to me (mtPaint maintainer)?
I don't tolerate bugs in my code, so if this can be fixed at all, it will be fixed in the next version.