Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 13:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Development Ideas/Requests
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 5 of 22 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
EdFromHouston

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 16:27    Post_subject:  

Well I think having CUPS 3.0 dotpup would allow a lot more printers to work out of the box especially HP.

More support for dialup modems out of the box will enable more modem users who may have less knowledge of linux to connect to the net right away. I think this will spread the word about Puppy more than anything else. Look at Ubuntu and notice the download is 698 mb and after downloading you still have to hunt down and compile modem drivers to get on the net. It wont require much more room to add a few more to Puppys' already good assortment.

I think Abiword with all the plugins would be good enough. There is a plugin for a spell checker among others.

JAVA 1.6 is smaller than 1.5.10 and should be looked at.

I think Icewm is better than JWM.

With all the web based software out there I see no reason to include Open Office.

Enough codecs to play Quicktime, Real, Divx, Flash flv like YouTube, and Windows media along with Mplayer and MozPlugger. That way we could have a way to watch and listen to Flash 9 for example by downloading and using Ffmpeg to convert the file to something else. That way Flash 9 could be left out because it crashes Mozilla.
puppyfan12

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 18:44    Post_subject:  

RE: Cloning muppy: Muppy's system tray needs to change from it's static grey color to matching the theme that is selected

RE: Office apps: Although a I prefer OOo writer over abiword, the size difference might be a worthwhile compromise. The problem I see with web based apps is not everyone will be booting the puppy CE disk on systems with web access so there should at least be something bundled.

Edited_time_total
NathanO

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 20:26    Post_subject: Puppy 2.15CE
Sub_title: What to have

Rather then saying 'This Browser' and 'That Office' why not make it so one could 'customize' Puppy with out have to compile a custome one.

While you can use 'Pet' or 'DotPup' add on's, the is no way to take out a default item you do not want.

I like FireFiox, so I down load a Puppy FireFox 2.x and install it. It works, so I decide to use it. I would like to take out all the other browsers that are in Puppy with our jumping thru hoops. The only itmes that one should not be able to 'unload' are kernal type and library type itmes.

The same would go for say 'Office'. If I want to download Puppy Open Office, I should be able to get rid of the other 'Office' items I do not want.

Not everything has to be in memory. The real world is that there are many items that only are needed for first time use on a machine. Once a machine is set up then memory could be used for other itmes.

When there is an 'Up Grade' to Puppy, don't wipe out what a person has just because the 'Base Puppy' uses a browser or word processing default. My Pup Save shows what I like, let the 'Up Grade' look at that and say 'Okay, I do not load 'Default Browser' but I do load 'User Browser'. Or maybe we need a Puppy.INI file.

This would be a problem for some one who is doing a multi-session CD or DVD and not saving anything on a hard drive. Maybe we need a boot option that tells Puppy that 'I have an older Puppy in use and you need to let me at some point put in my older CD or DVD and look at it to keep everything I use'.

NathanO
bodach

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 20:39    Post_subject: Print Driver  

Can we have a driver that will work with the HP DeskJet 1600 series?
veronicathecow

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 20:49    Post_subject:  

Hi, how about 4 versions!

1. Bare bones, Xorg and ability to load extra dotpups etc.

2. Standard Puppy with all basic functions but small size and used on older hardware. Abiword, etc

3. C.E. "Standard" apps O.O. Thunderbird, Firefox, Gimp, etc

4. The full Monty (AKA Including the kitchen sink) rivaling SUSE, Knoppix etc

Also anyway to allow puppy to extract from an ISO and do a universal install without having to blow a CD and all the environmental waste that entails!

Before deciding to upgrade it would be nice to be able to run the new puppy on a USB stick first.

Finally, fast booting, backgrounding any possible apps inc network, firewall etc.

Also Barry, I certainly would not object to a small link on the menu system that takes people to a donations page.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 21:12    Post_subject:  

veronicathecow wrote:
Also anyway to allow puppy to extract from an ISO and do a universal install without having to blow a CD and all the environmental waste that entails!

Before deciding to upgrade it would be nice to be able to run the new puppy on a USB stick first.

Isomaster 0.7 is in Puppy 2.15CE Standard. That allows you to view the contents of, and extract files from, ISO's without burning to a CD.

BTW, Isomaster 0.6 is already in Puppy 2.14, under Multimedia.

Hope that helps, Tony.
WhoDo

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 21:16    Post_subject: Re: Puppy 2.15CE
Sub_title: What to have

NathanO wrote:
I would like to take out all the other browsers that are in Puppy with our jumping thru hoops.

Pupbegone (Pizzasgood) is in Puppy 2.15CE Standard for just that reason.

Hope that helps.
laptopnewbee

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 21:44    Post_subject:  

NathanO wrote:
When there is an 'Up Grade' to Puppy, don't wipe out (snip)

that reminds me, how about something in the installer to make the install using the settings/addons that the user has already made, in his pupsave, and during his session that is current at the time of the install? or am i asking for this in the wrong place?

Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2007, 22:58    Post_subject:  

Does PupBeGone still work with PETget? I'm still using a pre-PETget system, so I haven't bothered learning the details of how it works. I figured I'd let Barry get it finished before I bother with it.

If it needs altering, I'll take care of it. Just let me know. The one included will also need to come with the full package file-lists also. 0pkgs_db-x.x.x. I don't remember how it was set up in PupBeGone. I'll have to look.

Well, I guess this means I'll be installing 2.14 next week, so I can figure out what's going on Rolling Eyes

rarsa

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 01:44    Post_subject:  

Well,

I have an idea and request.

Why not add the greatest and latest Remote desktop client?

Well, because you didn't know it was ready, so now you know, here it is.

Another fine* example of gnocl.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=92220

* hey, I'm allowed to call my UI's "fine", aren't I. I am really happy how this one came out, I don't know where I got the inspiration from Wink

WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 05:08    Post_subject:  

rarsa wrote:
Why not add the greatest and latest Remote desktop client?

You sneaky devil, you! Very Happy I've just downloaded it. If you are happy with it then it must be an exceptional piece of work that we'd be dumb to leave out of Puppy 2.15CE Alpha! Razz

Thanks, mate!
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 06:15    Post_subject: extra programs wizard  

Pizzasgood wrote:

Well, I guess this means I'll be installing 2.14 next week, so I can figure out what's going on Rolling Eyes

One of the things I found really useful in PizzaPup was the extra programs wizard. Do you think that or similar would work for Viz? Or maybe PETget will work with all the latest must have software?

veronicathecow

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 06:18    Post_subject:  

Hi WhoDo thanks for reply. I'm having troubles with this program including it not seeing hda3 (my main drive with puppy on it, howefver it does see hdb1 through 3!)
Errors such as Skiping directory entry because stat(/root/.events) failed with 5 !!! etc
cheers
WhoDo

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 06:59    Post_subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
Does PupBeGone still work with PETget? I'm still using a pre-PETget system, so I haven't bothered learning the details of how it works. I figured I'd let Barry get it finished before I bother with it.

Yes, it works with PETget, provided you select the "Use Old Method" option on first run. After that you wouldn't know it wasn't on 2.13! I like programs that are that adaptable! Very Happy

Cheers
rarsa

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2007, 10:55    Post_subject:  

Please ensure that you include the latest versions of the network wizard and the rc.network script

Network wizard
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15180

rc.network
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15125

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 5 of 22 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ..., 20, 21, 22 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum