Can't boot Puppy.

Booting, installing, newbie

Re: Can't boot Puppy

#16 Post by Guest »

Flash wrote:
Pita wrote: [snip]
Is there a way to capture the boot output so I could submit the error messages?
Several people have taken pictures of their screens with digital cameras, then cropped the pictures and reduced their resolution so the image is just big enough to read clearly, before posting them to this forum as jpegs.
I'll be darn my old boss used to say. In absense of a dig cam I will use my mobile phone taking 4 shots and then paste them together. Just wait.

Pita

Re: Can't boot Puppy

#17 Post by Pita »

Flash wrote:
Pita wrote: [snip]
Is there a way to capture the boot output so I could submit the error messages?
Several people have taken pictures of their screens with digital cameras, then cropped the pictures and reduced their resolution so the image is just big enough to read clearly, before posting them to this forum as jpegs.
Attachments
Puppyhang.jpeg
This is the best of a screen shot I can do with mobile phone and shaky hands. After the last line booting hangs, keyboard is locked. I hope somebody has sharp enmough eyes.
(32.77 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

Pita, I've stayed out of this thread, because I don't know a thing about your computer. I'd like to offer my assistance, however I'd like to know a few things first.

1) How much RAM you have

2) Information about your hard drive
  • a) what size is it
    b) a description of the file system types, i.e. FAT16 ext2. partition structure, by type and hda# if you can
    c) the current default boot operating system

#19 Post by Guest »

Thanks
Bruce B wrote:Pita, I've stayed out of this thread, because I don't know a thing about your computer. I'd like to offer my assistance, however I'd like to know a few things first.

1) How much RAM you have

512 K

2) Information about your hard drive
  • a) what size is it

2 drives, 40 Gb hda, 20 Gb hdd

b) a description of the file system types, i.e. FAT16 ext2. partition structure, by type and hda# if you can

/dev/hda2 /boot ext2
    /dev/hda8 / reiserfs
    /dev/hda9 /usr/local reiserfs
    /dev/hda10 /home reiserfs
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/window vfat
    /dev/hdd1 /mnt/dos vfat
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/rh9root ext3
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/rh9home ext3
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/rh9usrlocal ext3
    /dev/hdd2 swap swap
    /dev/hdd5 /mnt/kpx ext3
    /dev/hdd6 /mnt/athene ext3
    /dev/hdd7 /mnt/knop ext3
    /dev/hdd8 /mnt/free ext3

c) the current default boot operating system

Slackware 10.1, Lilo boot. There is no Windows OS installed.
Regards

Bruce B

#20 Post by Bruce B »

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I couldn't find the thread, did it disappear for a while?

Looks like you have many options about where to put puppy. Put it where you want.

You had booting from CD-ROM problems, and were questioned about burning techniques.

I propose putting Puppy on the hard drive and booting it from hard drive, you can mix it on a partition with another distro because the names don't conflict with an Option 1 install.

I'm going to recommend the following:
  • do an md5sum on the downloaded .iso, if you still have it. If not download it again and make an md5sum check.

do not burn the .iso to cdrom this time

mount it to a loop device and copy these files to the root of the partition you want it to run on:
    • 1) image.gz
      2) usr_cram_fs
      3) vmlinux
when puppy runs the first time it will create the pupxxx user file

what you need to do is figure out how to boot it with lilo. I don't know lilo enough to tell you. I can tell you how to boot it with grub.

if you can't figure out how to boot it with lilo, let me know. I will put together a DOS kit to put on hda1 (c:\)

In order to assemble the kit I will need to know the following:
  • 1) the linux partition where you put the three files
    2) how big you want the pupxxx file (default is 256MB), but you can make it another size
    3 the name you want the pupxxx to be
    4) if possible post a copy of msdos.sys, config.sys and autoexec.bat
If you don't know how to mount a data .iso file in Linux I'll show you how, you can make adjustments as requried for location and file name.

suppose the .iso is on hda7 and you want the three files on hda1

# mkdir /mnt/iso
# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/hda7/nameof.iso /mnt/iso

if you are working on hda7 it would be

# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /nameof.iso /mnt/iso

#cd /mnt/iso
# ls

# cp image.gz usr_cram.fs vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/

(of course, hda1 and hda7 must be mounted) :)

Pita

Can't boot Puppy.

#21 Post by Pita »

Thanks.
snip
-------
I propose putting Puppy on the hard drive and booting it from hard drive, you can mix it on a partition with another distro because the names don't conflict with an Option 1 install.

suppose the .iso is on hda7 and you want the three files on hda1

# mkdir /mnt/iso
# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/hda7/nameof.iso /mnt/iso

if you are working on hda7 it would be

# mount -t iso9660 -o loop /nameof.iso /mnt/iso

#cd /mnt/iso
# ls

# cp image.gz usr_cram.fs vmlinuz /mnt/hda1/

I followed your instructions and made the adjustments in lilo.conf putting vmlinuz into /boot/vmlinuz-hdd8 and then did lilo.
On booting it stops with kernel panic since initrd can not be found.
Where is the initdrd.gz of puppy? That would have to be put into /boot as initrd-puppy.gz and in lilo.conf a line added under image=/boot/vimlinuz-hdd8, init = /boot/initrd-puppy.gz

Regards

Bruce B

#22 Post by Bruce B »

• Where is the initdrd.gz of puppy? That would have to be put into /boot as initrd-puppy.gz and in lilo.conf a line added under image=/boot/vimlinuz-hdd8, init = /boot/initrd-puppy.gz
Does Lilo allow spaces as it the command you listed:

init = /boot/initrd-puppy.gz

I think I'd keep the orginal name which was image.gz, check syntax carefully, and see if that helps.

Like I wrote earlier, I don't know Lilo, sorry.

#23 Post by Guest »

Bruce B wrote:
  • Where is the initdrd.gz of puppy? That would have to be put into /boot as initrd-puppy.gz and in lilo.conf a line added under image=/boot/vimlinuz-hdd8, init = /boot/initrd-puppy.gz
Does Lilo allow spaces as it the command you listed:

init = /boot/initrd-puppy.gz

yes all commands in lilo.conf have those spaces and it should read initrd not init

I think I'd keep the orginal name which was image.gz, check syntax carefully, and see if that helps.

A name is just a name.

It does not work still hangs on kernel panic, no init. I don't undestand have done it many times adding or deleting boots. Could it be that there is no System.map like all my linux boot sections have?

Further that booting from the CD puppy hangs has I think something to do with usb. The last line on the screen shot above reads: ehci_hcd 00:13:3 Via Technologies, Inc USB 2.0. In my kernel USB support is disabled. Now when I enabled it and rebooted slackware it hang exactly at the same spot just like puppy. If I boot from a CD be it slackware, knoppix, gnoppix or DSL I always have to specify nousb. Can that be done with puppy?
USB support enabled will still hang puppy.

Like I wrote earlier, I don't know Lilo, sorry.
No problem.

Bancobusto

#24 Post by Bancobusto »

Off topic, but if you read back over the entire length of this thread, and count up the amount of times that people are quoted, one would almost think that we were indeed a profound bunch of people.

Where else can one go and get quoted words of wisdom, day in and day out?

I wish that I could help you with Lilo, I feel as though I should be able to. It was the first Linux bootloader that I had to deal with, I was so happy when I discovered Grub that I've recessed those Lilo mamories. The way it's laid out just seems so much easier to grasp.