How to add ALSA to Puppy 1.0.4 HD install

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jcoder24

#76 Post by jcoder24 »

Actually, Tempestuous originally suggested/implemented the change see http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=8552#8552.

tempestuous

#77 Post by tempestuous »

Barry and jcoder24,
My own implementation of ALSA was somewhat crude, and once it worked on my particular hardware I didn

BarryK
Puppy Master

#78 Post by BarryK »

tempestuous wrote: But none of us has worked out the problem of stopping OSS!
Well, I've done it in puppy2 rather crudely, just left out the OSS modules. "scanmodules --load" is still there, so it will attempt to load an OSS module then fail.
...actually, I haven't tested that yet.

I could remove all the entries from /lib/libhardware/soundcard.db also, as that's where scanmodules gets its info.
...yeah, seems like a good idea, will do that.

Nightflier

Almost there

#79 Post by Nightflier »

First of all: I am really impressed with Puppy's size and speed. My compliments to the developers.

I have a hard drive install of 1.0.7., "alsacore-1.0.10-0124a.pup" installed without problems and works with the CS-4236 sound. After reboot it did not work. I looked in rc.local and got the impression the "if" statement caused rc.loadalsa not to run, so I commented out everything except "/etc/rc.d/rc.loadalsa". That made the script run, but then, my PS/2 mouse stopped working.

Running /etc/rc.d/rc.loadalsa manually after xwin is up works. I removed rc.loadalsa from rc.local. Then I made a symlink to rc.loadalsa in home folder. One click and sound works. Is there a way to automatically do this, after xwin (or mouse driver) loads?

MU

#80 Post by MU »

you can edit /root/.xinitrc
Add your command there before "exec $CURRENTWM".

use a syntax like this:
sleep 3 && /etc/rc.d/rc.loadalsa &

This will run it 3 seconds after your desktop starts. The "&" runs it in background, so that it does not stop the Desktop from loading.

Mark

#81 Post by Guest »

Thanks, MU :D

That solved the problem and taught me something new as well.
Keep up the great work.

cygnus

#82 Post by cygnus »

If anyone still has it, I need alsa-oss.pup. I ran the alsacore .pup and I have sound, but not in every program. I installed RealPlayer (I need it for school) and I get video but no sound. The README says ALSA wasn't included in the build, just OSS. I'm guessing that if I had OSS emulation for ALSA, all the programs that use OSS will be able to run with sound.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#83 Post by Flash »

I entered alsa-oss in the forum search and found this.

cygnus

#84 Post by cygnus »

I tried that before, but when I click the link to download the .pup, it says the attachment no longer exists. jcoder removed the attachment at some point, saying it didn't appear to be necessary. I think I need it for mine to work properly, and I wanted to know if anyone still had it available.

jcoder24

#85 Post by jcoder24 »

Re-uploaded alsaoss.pup and edited the link referred to by flash to point it.

cygnus

#86 Post by cygnus »

Thank you, I'll install it when I get a chance and let everyone know if it solved my problem.

cygnus

#87 Post by cygnus »

I still don't have sound with all my applications. I installed the alsa-oss DotPup and re-ran alsaconf, but it didn't make a difference.

What exactly does alsa-oss.pup do? What changes does it make to the configuration? Is there anything I have to do to make OSS emulation work? I don't mind editing conifg files if I have to, I just want to get sound to work across the board.

Just to give a run-down, I can mix audio with Snack mixer and listen to CDs with Snack (I think that's what it is) CD player (it's the very simple CD player). MPlayer, Xine, and RealPlayer don't have sound. I haven't tried any other multimedia programs besides these. I'm running 1.0.7 with both alsa .pups installed. I have an ES1869 sound card on an old Compaq lappy.

Any insights or advice would be appreciated. If anyone needs more info from me, let me know.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#88 Post by Flash »

Puppy 2a's alsa works for me right out of the box. Have you tried booting a Puppy 2a live CD, just to see what happens?

cygnus

#89 Post by cygnus »

Right now, I'm booting Puppy using the Windows 98 method (not that it matters for this). I'm just worried about booting into Puppy 2 and it screwing up my current settings saved in my pup001 file.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#90 Post by Flash »

This is from Barry's release notes for Puppy 2a in the Feb. 13th entry on Barry's News page:
There is currently no upgrade mechanism for an existing "pup001" file. Puppy2 creates a file with a different name, pup_save.3fs, so there should be no clash.
If you try Puppy 2a and it doesn't work, just delete the pup_save.3fs file it created.

cygnus

#91 Post by cygnus »

I finally got a chance to download and burn Puppy2a, and when I ran it, it did the same thing as 1.0.7. I'm going to start a new thread in the Bugs section to see what can be done about this.