Are all DotPups compatible with Puppy 1.05?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mjg

Are all DotPups compatible with Puppy 1.05?

#1 Post by mjg »

Are all the DotPups compatible with Puppy 1.05?

I installed Rox 2.2.0 and it killed my background. It's now totally white and I can't change it using the control panel tools for desktop image or background color.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

there are a few issues with rox 2.2.0

when it installs it is set to use the default Puppy seagull wallpaper ... if there is no file by that name, that background will not work properly

you can set the background by right clicking any desktop icon, and clicking Background ... the default wallpaper for 1.0.5rc is /usr/share/images/puppywallpaper1024x768.jpg

another issue is that rox 2.2.0 does not like the -o option ... the older rox needs the -o option ... when Puppy upgrades, it tends to install new copies of certain files ... if you have rox 2.2.0 installed and upgrade Puppy, it will probably replace /root/.xinitrc and put back the -o option when it sets the pinboard ... if that happens, you will have to edit .xinitrc and change rox -o -p to rox -p

it would not be a problem if the -o option were in /usr/local/bin/rox and not in .xinitrc ... that file is replaced when rox 2.2.0 installs

another problem is that when rox 2.2.0 installs, it replaces /usr/local/bin/rox and registers the file with pupget ... if the PCCC program remasters Puppy, it will probably include the /usr/local/bin/rox file but not any of the other files ... /usr/local/bin/rox will probably not work in the remastered Puppy ... PCCC did not exist when i made the rox 2.2.0 dotpup package

mjg

#3 Post by mjg »

Thanks. The icon method was a good fix.

mjg

Rox Filer

#4 Post by mjg »

GuestToo wrote:there are a few issues with rox 2.2.0
Rox 2.3 is available.

I guess if you're doing a new DotPup it would be good to work from this, if possible. Requires GTK 2.4.

#5 Post by Guest »

i tried compilimg 2.3 but had problems with shared-mime-info

i tried a couple of pre-compiled packages but they wouldn't work in Puppy ... so i compiled 2.2 which worked ok ... i might get 2.3 to work eventually ... it might compile better in Puppy 1.0.5
G2

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Not all DotPups currently work on 1.0.5.

Some things were changed from 1.0.5rc to 1.0.5 that woul break already tested DotPups. This is due to the fact that many DotPup developers were doing it for the first time (me included) and made some incorrect assumptions.

We will need to mature this upgrade process. Meanwhile, if you find a problem, just advice the original developer, If he/she does not respond, you can try to fix it, post a work around or ask someone else to have a look.

Nathan F

#7 Post by Nathan F »

I'm in the process of re-packaging som of my dotpups now. I figured this is a good time to do it because it's getting easier to compile for puppy now. I am changing the format for some, however, and just making them unleashed tarballs.

Cheers,
Nathan