Firefox vs. Flash 9 Progress

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
MU

#31 Post by MU »

Bill_Gates

#32 Post by Bill_Gates »

Hi, I'm new here! I've been watching this thread for a while now.

debernardis wrote:Flash 9 plus firefox 2.0.0.2 in the latest rudypuppy seems not to crash too often 8) say once a day :roll: by now. Machine: Centrino 1600 MHz, 512 Megs RAM 512 Megs swap (compaq nc4010).
I had the opposite experience. I had firefox 2.0.0.1 plus the Flash 9.pup and my system seemed stable. But after upgrading to 2.0.0.2 firefox crashes constantly. :?
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

EdFromHouston

#33 Post by EdFromHouston »

Still no problems with flash 9. I'm now testing the laptop. It's really slow but it's stable.

I just came back from a trip to the dark side. About last November I made the mistake of installing Ubuntu Edgy all 698 mb of it thinking it would be easy to use based on all the hype. Boy was I struck down when I couldn't even get my modem to work. It's been sitting idle on my hard drive and I tried to play with it today for the first time in months. What a mistake that was. I'll never stray from Puppy again. I think I'll install 2.15CE over it when it comes out. Ubuntu just isn't for me.

debernardis

#34 Post by debernardis »

Unfortunately my firefox 2.0.0.2 plus flash 9 seems to degradate day by day. Initially I had no crashes, then once a day, then now they are too frequent to be bearable. What is going to accumulate? Is it the cache? I tried to erase everything, cache, passwords, cookies and so on... I'll report my results.

jonyo

#35 Post by jonyo »

Hey Bill G. How ya like puppy? Bet your blown away that with so little, one can do so much? How 'bout the speed! :D

Bill_Gates

#36 Post by Bill_Gates »

Hi jonyo. I'm quite fond of my puppy. Having said that, I found it somehow unsettling that I can turn on my laptop and have the entire OS loaded and ready to go in about 30 seconds! :shock:

So I added about 150meg of bloat to my distro and I'm now feeling a lot better! I still don't have much time to kill while my laptop boots, but I'm still working on it! :lol:
-Bill

jonyo

#37 Post by jonyo »

Bill_Gates wrote:Hi jonyo. I'm quite fond of my puppy. Having said that, I found it somehow unsettling that I can turn on my laptop and have the entire OS loaded and ready to go in about 30 seconds! :shock:
For me, it was more like :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bill_Gates wrote:So I added about 150meg of bloat to my distro and I'm now feeling a lot better!
Know what you mean..not easy to break old habits :P
Bill_Gates wrote: I still don't have much time to kill while my laptop boots, but I'm still working on it! :lol:
No offense, you still da man, but if you don't have to much time to kill while puppy boots, don have a clue how you find the time for windows to..wake up & boot up. :evil: Maan takes forever just for that! :P I'm getting along & have no patience (or time) for such things myself these days

It's been said many times that it's lonely at the top :( ... Its also somewhat known that pups are very good therapy 8) :D :wink:

Makes sense that you're havin a look at pup :)

No doubt Toutou :shock: Rules :!: 8)

OK, back to flash 9 biz..hmmm :?: :?:

EdFromHouston

#38 Post by EdFromHouston »

Well I finally got online after trying all my ISP dialup numbers, they were all busy so I called tech support for their hidden numbers they always hold back on. I had to try three before I could connect at 26K. I have noticed the main router in Dallas has been down a lot. I don't know what is going on. I've been with my ISP for years and have never had this happen.

Just wanted to say the laptop tested fine with a swap file, I needed that for Firefox to load. I don't know how I can contribute anymore to this discussion other than to say the only thing I did to Puppy 2.13 was to do the things I talked about in the first post. I still can't get flash 9 to crash so good luck.

Ed

Bill_Gates

#39 Post by Bill_Gates »

jonyo wrote: It's been said many times that it's lonely at the top :( ... Its also somewhat known that pups are very good therapy 8) :D :wink:

Makes sense that you're havin a look at pup :)

No doubt Toutou :shock: Rules :!: 8)

Thanks jonyo I am truly humbled here. Linux is pretty new to me. (For obvious reasons it's difficult for me to switch from M$) :lol:
I've tired other flavors of linux before but they left me frustrated and wanting. Puppy is different, and once again I'm excited about computing! This community, and all the talented and helpfull people here are a big part this.

Thanks All!

-Bill

EdFromHouston

#40 Post by EdFromHouston »

This also works in 2.14!

I didn't wait for 2.15CE to come out but instead I thought why not get rid of Ubuntu and install Puppy 2.14 to my hard drive? So I installed 2.14, Guest Too's unofficial 214SP.pup, Firefox, and Flash 9.

I ran Seamonkey and it seemed ok with flash 9 but when I started Firefox it kept crashing so I applied the stuff I did for 2.13 as I talk about on the first post and right away Firefox started working right.

I guess I'm doing the same thing as talked about by Barry and others. I can see where my way is copying two libraries and that may be increasing the size of Puppy a little more than adding a few lines of text but I know this works right on my system so I thought why change something that works.

I have now installed Open Office, Inkscape0.45, GimpShop, and my 3D ATI card and all seems smooth with my new hdd install. I think when I'm done I'll call it Stubby 1.0 after my manx black cat!

Ed

lvds

#41 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I have tested a lot and my system can reproduce always the same behavior.
I setup the links like you told in the first post. As long as i browse flash site i have no browser crash and everything runs fine. But if i click right mouse button to access properties or configure the flash settings, the browser crash when i choose properties. Running firefox 2.0.0.2 with flash9. I can't see which release is in use as i have not access to "about..."

by the way, the /usr/local/Flash9 seems a little bit empty to me, not containing as much files as i expected it would (bad windows habit), is it missing something in here ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

lvds

#42 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I finally found the way to solve my crash problems i have since a long time. Here is the solution i found just after having posted here :roll: I have tested all this morning and the bug have disappeared.

1. install linux firefox-2.0.0.2 from http://www.getfirefox.com
2. install the flash9.pup package
3. download the linux flash player from here:

FRENCH version:
http://www.adobe.com/fr/shockwave/download/alternates/

ENGLISH version (but i have not tested download from this one)
http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

and extract to a directory (by default it is install-flash-player9 or something alike...)
4. use these files from install-flash-player9 directory to overwrite the previous ones at /usr/local/Flash9
5. you can remove install-flash-player9 directory, not needed anymore.

You can check installed version number of your flash by going here:
http://www.adobe.com/fr/products/flash/about/

Also be SURE to have correctly downloaded files as i experienced aborted downloads, giving incomplete .tar.gz files

...now when i click right mouse button i can access the settings and the player does not crash anymore :D

Best regards,
Laurent.

EdFromHouston

#43 Post by EdFromHouston »

That's interesting. It's possible the flash9.pup didn't download right for you and that is why it crashed. Also I see you downloaded the French version. Could your problem have to do with your Character Encoding? I try to keep mine set to UTF8.

By you saying you don't have access to 'about' I take it to mean you are talking about 'about:config'. Just type it in the location bar as you would any site you go to and press enter.

BTW, I'm no programmer so take anything I say with a grain of salt. :)

mlamelas

Additional Plugins Folder

#44 Post by mlamelas »

I just want to pass on some additional info on how I finally got Flash 9 to work. This thread was very useful, but when I installed Firefox 2 and the Flash 9 pup Firefox would still crash when I went to a page with Flash. What I discovered is that the firefox installation creates a firefox folder in /usr/local, and that folder has its own plugins folder. The Flash 9 pup creates links in the mozilla plugins folder and in the seamonkey plugins folder, but not this folder. When I created a link to the plugin in the Flash9 folder in /usr/loca/, it then worked.

Thanks again to all of the posters for all the info in the thread.

EdFromHouston

#45 Post by EdFromHouston »

That's what I said in the first post. 8) I'm glad you got it working.

mlamelas

UTF message doesn't seem to affect functionality

#46 Post by mlamelas »

Thanks Ed, it really was great work on this thread. I also get the message about the encoding not being UTF, but it doesn't seem to affect the functionality of firefox and flash. I tested it on the Disney website, which is Flash 9 intensive, and it works just fine.

Best regards,

Mel

EdFromHouston

#47 Post by EdFromHouston »

It's all a team thing :D I just hope one day Linux will beat the pants off Microsoft in every way. That will be sooner than later if Puppy keeps going the way it has been..

mlamelas

Wholeheartedly Agree

#48 Post by mlamelas »

Hi Ed,

I could not agree with you more about Linux beating Windows. Microsoft will do a lot of the work itself by making Windows more unfriendly as time goes by. I finally got sick of Microsoft and switched to Linux about 7 months ago. I don't miss Windows at all. I can say I am Microsoft free. I run Kubuntu on my work pc and carry puppy in my usb pen drive.

I discovered Puppy Linux researching to develop a proposal to be presented to a non-profit to take computers that are obsolete by Windows standard (and therefore people are giving away to Goodwill), and make them useful again by installing Puppy. As proof of concept, I did just that with one computer that did not even have a hard drive and on an old Fujitsu Tablet PC with only 192mb of memory and a 4 gig drive. Even had the input pen working so it could be used without a physical keyboard.

I will keep recommending Puppy. The forum support is great. Questions get answered quickly. And the enhancements with each version are fantastic. The improvements to the wireless configuration since version 2.10 are exponential. Also, puppy was able to install on a Fujitsu notebook where Kubuntu and Linspire both froze and would not run. I am a great fan.

My current project is to create a self contained environment where Puppy runs under Windows with Qemu, with davfs access to an offsite server for unlimited real time storage, with vpn enabled so that the local system only sees encrypted traffic to a vpn server which channels the traffic, and with password protection so that no one else can run Puppy if the usbdrive is lost or stolen.

It's for my personal use. I travel a lot in Europe and use internet cafes, so I am concerned about someone monitoring the pc I am using and keylogging or packet inspecting to capture passwords. I want to be able to plug a keydrive in, run qemu to launch puppy, enter key data using the virtual keyboard so that it's only mouse clicks that can be captured by a keylogger, and access files via an encrypted connection.

I am not there yet, but pretty close. Just need to devote some concentrated time to it.

Best regards,

Mel

headfound

#49 Post by headfound »

Wow, just updated flash with the .pup, and firefox crashed right after when I closed the tab on the Disney site. Came back, followed your instructions and its working fine!
Thanks, its a great fix :D
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

Bill_Gates

#50 Post by Bill_Gates »

Dude! I love the Puppy Song! :lol:
-Bill