How to remove applications?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bill_Gates

How to remove applications?

#1 Post by Bill_Gates »

My puppy is more like a full grown Saint Bernard or Mastiff then a cute little puppy! Ive added OpenOffice, Firefox 2.0 and Thunderbird to name a few.

I know I love bloat but this is getting ridiculous! :D Gee Wizz, It almost takes as long as Vista to boot! :roll:

How do I remove stuff. Obviously I don't want to remove the stuff I added but stuff I'm not using like abiword, seamonkey and chat among others. I know she's still going to be large but any little bit will help.

Thanks!
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

brad_chuck

try this

#2 Post by brad_chuck »

Even with open office and firefox there should not be to much space requred. I think my base install is something like 500 MB and I have just about everything you can install.

1. fire up a program called gdmap ( under file managers ) this will allow you to look at your files in a graphic way. ie. larger files are larger boxes.

2. reinstall

3. hey your "root" right? most programs are in /usr/local/bin and named as you would expect. Note: this will not save you much space and you could or will delete something important.

PaulBx1

#3 Post by PaulBx1 »

There is a little utility around here called "pupbegone" (or some similar spelling!) that is used to pull standard stuff out. Search forum (sorry I can't give you the exact name for sure).

Openoffice, do you really need it? abiword and gnumeric are pretty good by now. OO is pretty huge. I once tried to install it on a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. :lol: It worked, sorta, if you had half an hour waiting for it to be loaded into memory.

Seamonkey is not a bad browser. I came from a firefox/thunderbird environment and decided to give it an honest try, and now I like it.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've heard that PupBeGone will work in 2.14 if you choose "Old Method" when installing it. I haven't confirmed this myself yet (still in a 2.12 based setup).

However, unless you have a full install, you can't simply remove things. The stuff that Puppy comes with is in a read-only filesystem (the pup_xxx.sfs file). If you try to delete things in it, it will just create a .wh_* file in your save-file that tells Puppy it shouldn't see that file. These .wh_* files are also hidden. If you edit the file rather than delete it, a copy will be placed in the save-file, which will override the original.

The way around that is to remove things from the pup_xxx.sfs file itself. There are several ways to accomplish it. The most direct is to use the Edit-SFS script I made. It would create a writable, decompressed copy of the file and let you edit it. Then it will compress it and give you a new pup_xxx.sfs file, which you can then use with a frugal install or manually insert into an iso image.

The other relatively easy method is to make whatever changes you need to the normal setup (PupBeGone comes in handy here), then do a simple remaster. Puppy won't see the removed programs and will exclude them from the remaster.

The more complicated way to do it is to use the Unleashed system to build your own Puppy.

If you do have a full install, you can simply remove things with PupBeGone and they will actually be deleted.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

eMeRy

#5 Post by eMeRy »

Pizzasgood wrote:...
The way around that is to remove things from the pup_xxx.sfs file itself. There are several ways to accomplish it. The most direct is to use the Edit-SFS script I made. It would create a writable, decompressed copy of the file and let you edit it. Then it will compress it and give you a new pup_xxx.sfs file, which you can then use with a frugal install or manually insert into an iso image.
I would like to try and use the Edit-SFS script you mentioned. I searched it in the forum but haven't found. Would you show us the location of it?
Thanx in advance.
eMeRy

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=75111

Searched for "Edit-SFS" by "Pizzasgood" in the "Additional Software" section. That pattern should work for most packages I make, unless they're in Cutting-Edge (or the new "Projects" section).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]