Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 17 Nov 2018, 00:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
SMC EZ Ethernet Adapter?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 09:02    Post subject:  SMC EZ Ethernet Adapter?
Subject description: Cant connect to internet

HI ppl
Very very new to puppy and only downloaded the live cd last night with a view to using it on an older pc of our`s(latest seamonkey cd?)

Also quite new to computers having only sat down at one for the first time last year at a young 36 but i`ve been using Ubuntu for the last 7 of those 11 months and other than the obvious rpm/deb diffrenece this looks really cool and it seems like it could be even better than the Xubuntu my younger kids use on the pc in question with it`s 350Mhz 192mb(they have Xp/Vista options too BUT they too prefer their Linuxes it seems)

The live cd worked great on my newer pc`s and i had them connected without any real fuss but they use straight modem to ethernet port(DHCP)?.......which is where the problem lies with the actual pc we want puppy on though.

The older Compaq Presario 5130 in Question dont have an ethernet port so i have to use an SMC EZ Ethernet Adapter which works fine on U/x/kubuntu,PCLinux and many others.....but not here it seems Sad

None of the drivers listed seem to apply to the SMC adapter i use for this pc plus i did the "autoprobe"a few times all to no avail.
There are two "SMC" type drivers in the list but none are any good Sad

Sorry for the long winded intro but just putting things in prespective.
So....Is there a way to make this adapter work or is this just one of those very first ever real hardware compatibility issues i`ve had with numerous distro`s on the numerous pc`s so far?????????I`m doing ok if it is eh Very Happy

Also sorry if this should have been in the Hardware/networking problems section but seeing as it was a bit of a "noob" alert too i decided on here Question

Please move if needs be Embarassed
TIA BTW....

EDIT:I`m one of those dosy git`s that suddenly realise things after he posts..
I just remembered i had the original old NTL broadband setup cd that came with the particular broadband connection in question although i`ve never actually use the cd itself...even when it was the Windows i started out with i never used that thing as i never needed the SMC adapter on the pc i was using.

Anyway iv`e found the SMCUSB.INF file on that NTL cd so now all i need to do is copy it over and try the ndiswrapper way i assume???????
Cant use NTL cd with Puppy Live cd on same pc so need to copy file to floppy and try using it from there on the Live cd .??

I dont really want to install Puppy without knowing that adapter will work so i need to try all this from the live cd.I always do get there in the end so sorry for the possible unwarranted posting Embarassed

Last edited by wallace69 on Mon 26 Feb 2007, 13:41; edited 1 time in total
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 09:30    Post subject:  

Hi Wallace69

I did a search for your device but there seems to be quite a few with diffent model numbers. Could you post the model number?

At first glance it looks as though it will use the prism driver, if memory serves this is included in the network connection wizard, give it a try, but until you post the model of the device it is hard to tell for sure.

The other option is if you have the windows drivers on cd you could load them using ndiswrapper, follow the wizard in the network connection wizard to load using ndiswrapper or mount your cd, this should open a rox window, click any blank space within the window and choose 'window' then 'terminal here'. This will open a console window.
commands to load the windows driver are:
ndiswrapper -i NAME_OF_THE_DRIVER.inf
ndiswrapper -l # Thats an L not 'one'. checks driver loaded
modprobe ndiswrapper

If it is recognised as a vilid driver that should be it.
Open Rutilt from the menu/network and you should then be able to scan and connect.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 09:31    Post subject:  

I'm unclear on just what SMC means. Is it the manufacturer of a PCI network adapter card, or yet another bus interface I haven't heard of? Laughing

How does this thing attach to your computer?
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 09:32    Post subject:  

Looks like we cross posted.

Once puppy is up and running you can remove the cd
wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 10:08    Post subject: SMC Ethernet/ndiswrapper failure
Subject description: no joy!!

Hi folks and cheers for the speedy replies..

Sorry about the late edit previously but as you can gather from my edit i did finally track down that SMCUSB.INF and just used the wizard after mounting a floppy i`d copied the file to(before realising i didn`t need cd of course...doh) pointed ndiswrapper towards it but i got a little ..

Puppy error : invalid driver box pop up Crying or Very sad

Tried the prism driver gary101 but no joy there either m8
http://shoponline.com.sg/images/2206USB.jpg

Thats the thing there but it actually works fine with the *buntus without any ndiswrappers as i mentioned?
I have 2 separate connections thanks to my ISP and one uses a normal modem with ethernet or usb which works fine on any of our machines and i have the older set top box connection which also works fine everywhere too...bar here Crying or Very sad
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 10:23    Post subject:  

Ah! I thought it was a wireless device!

Just a UBS to ethernet adapter.

Try downloading drivers from here and see if they will load with ndiswrapper. I had to do that with one of my cards.
http://www.driverskit.com/freedownload/Net_Card/Smc/2206USB_ETH_USB_Ethernet/17959.html

Meanwhile I will see if I can find a linux driver
wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 10:31    Post subject: cheers  

I will try that mate but there must be a linux driver as i can load a live cd of Ubuntu and once it gets to the "loading hardware drivers" or "network"stage (need to check again) the light on that adapter lights up and everythings done for me basically........there in lies the problem eh...lol

EDIT:(again)
Am i right in believing i just DL the drivers,extract them and copy the .inf over for same procedure as before.Thats what i`m doing anyway so we`ll see what happens
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 11:00    Post subject:  

yep, use the same procedure.

You may want to go into the ndiswrapper folder and delete what you have previously loaded though.

Gaz
wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 11:24    Post subject: No joy  

Tried both the "Smc 2206USB/ETH USB Ethernet" & the 2202 further down the page both to no avail m8.

I have 2 pc`s at hand here using the 2 different ip connections so i just stuck the drivers on a wiped floppy each time here on my main machine then popped it in the Compaq and accessed them from that

The pc i actually want to use Puppy on is upstairs where the kids use it so i`m just trying to get this working via the live cd on a newer compaq down here rather than running up and down and swapping wires about as i would have to.
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 11:57    Post subject:  

Hi wallace69

I have had no luck finding drivers as yet but a thought has occurred.

I take it you downloaded the 2.14 fulldrivers iso?

If you did there are extra drivers in zdrv_214.sfs that may need to be copied to the correct location.

I could be way off base here, perhaps one of the more knowledgable members will step in if I am.

The instructions are in this post, got to be worth a try! You will need to save and reboot, if the driver is there it should load on boot (us long as you have it plugged in of course!) Wink
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15757

meanwhile if I come across a driver or more info I will let you know.
SirDuncan

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 12:32    Post subject:  

My SMC card uses the orinoco_cs driver. Currently something got screwed up with it and it will not load properly when running from the CD (for some reason it works fine when installed on the HD). But it is a PCMCIA card, not USB. Still, it could be universal SMC problem.

What is the model number? It helps to know it when you look for drivers.

I'm assuming that that this is a desktop PC, so if all else fails you can just go and buy an ethernet card. Here in the US you can buy them for around $10, and installing one is easy.

wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 13:30    Post subject: no big deal  

I`m sorry if this is seeming a bigger calamity for me than it actually is.We have a few pc`s around the house all with ethernet cards including that one older machine we actually want puppy on ........without the ethernet card.

I also have two completely separate broadband connections in the house, which both work via usb or ethernet on all of the pc`s but the particular connection my younger kids use on that particular Compaq needs that particlar adapter......Which as i`ve mentioned already works fine with the *buntus they use on that same machine.

We`re not short of a fix Very Happy But we do have to use that adapter on that connection on that computer Confused ...or no puppy Crying or Very sad

Not getting tooo much peace here to give this the attention it needs right now so will come back to it very soon with a clear head Confused ...thanks for the input guys.I`ll get this thing working one way or another.

I`ll try that stuff gary as it is the full driver cd ......i hope..lol
wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 13:57    Post subject: SMC Model Number  

Right iv`e just had a closer look at the model number on this SMC adapter, for the first time in the year i`ve had the thing Embarassed
Anyway apparently it is a SMC2206USB/ETHERNET ADAPTER which is the same as one of the drivers i just tried i`m sure......??

I`ll go back and retrace my steps but even if it is the same driver and i did something wrong i still dont understand why ubuntu dont need to use no "ndiswrapper"......and even the live cd loads whatever it needs for this adapter automatically.
gary101

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 14:20    Post subject:  

Hi Wallace69

It is because of the relatively small size of the distribution, some of the obscurer hardware support seems not to be there as a default.

Try my suggestion re zdrv and if that doesn't work then you could always try ndiswrapper with other versions of the windows drivers, 98, ME, 2000 etc.

Still looking for linux driver, found one for the 2208usb but that is for the 2.4 kernel so I doubt it would work
wallace69

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 14:43    Post subject: Of course  

Completely understand that gary and i was contemplating the earlier windows versions myself funnily enough.
The connection in question comes from a set top box where as my other connection comes via the IP provided modem so there are other ways i can try things........this would have been the most convenient though.

I`ll try the zdrv way then see about those other drivers
Cheers
Page 1 of 2 [22 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: