Request for ideas on partitioning my Laptop HD

Booting, installing, newbie
rmrossjr

Request for ideas on partitioning my Laptop HD

#1 Post by rmrossjr »

Main computer is a MacBook, but I have a Presario that I use to experiment with - load different linux distros, etc. Since I have a Broadcom card, wireless connections can be difficult.
At present, I have Windows and Fedora 6 installed. My hard drive is partition as follows:
Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 764 6136798+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 * 765 777 104422+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda3 778 9729 71906940 8e Linux LVM

Really taken with Puppy. Any formatting ideas. Would like to carry a CD/DVD that had my complete Puppy installation. Started with Puppy Lite and am building up from there. Would it make any sense to have everything on the hard drive and then burn a CD when needed and store the pup_save on a usb drive when I am using an old machine that does not have a burner?

Many thanks.

purple_ghost

What kind of file system and version of Windows?

#2 Post by purple_ghost »

In my experience. Windows 98 will only see so many partitions and devices. Translate that to mean: If you add a lot of partitions on the hard drive. Windows 98 may not see the last ? partitions. Even worse. As all the places are already assigned to hard drive partitions. Windows 98 will not see the USB.

However I heard of a fellow. Understanding this limitation. Just installed Windows onto the first partition. Had a huge number of partitions which followed for a lot of different distros of linux. Windows did not see more than the first few partitions. It was fine with him. He only used Windows a bit. Linux will see the other partitions and still see USB, and other hardware.

Are you going to add any other distros of LInux?

rmrossjr

#3 Post by rmrossjr »

I rarely use Windows. Would it make sense to convert the second linux partition into a swap partition.
Right now I have no plans for other linux distros. I usually try live CD's to determine if I should pursue using a particular distro.

GeoffS

#4 Post by GeoffS »

Use your second partition for data only. You can then share data between all the systems you have (including Windows), you can wipe a partition without losing important data, you only have to backup the data partition etc.
A swap partition can be created when and if you need it at the 'top' end.
Just my ideas and how I've always partitioned, still haven't found a better way.
Cheers
Geoff