Can I password protect Multisession LiveCD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
NewComer

Can I password protect Multisession LiveCD?

#1 Post by NewComer »

Hello! all
I posted a question on Beginner's Help about this and was advised to ask it here, so here it is.

Is it possible to Password Protect ( not Encrypt ) a multisession LiveCD? so if it falls into wrong hands, my data is not accessible to others.

Secondly , is it possible for the CD to ask for password before showing XWin ?
( Something like Windows Logon Screen ). I have seen it with DSL (Damn Small Linux )

Thanks.

Mazzo

#2 Post by Mazzo »

Unfortunately a password will not keep your data safe from the eyes of others. All they need to do is put your CD in any linux or windows PC and read from the saved data folders. All your stuff will be there - readable by anyone without anything other than their file browser.

I would imagine that anyone finding a CD would not automatically assume that it is bootable, so they will just put it in their drive and browse it.

I am working on a solution to this now - but it is using encryption as that is the only way to seriously protect your data.

I'm not busting a gut on this at the moment as I am waiting for 1.0.5 with the new script that Barry has mentioned.

Password protection for launching the CD is possible, but is in my opinion, pointless. It's like locking your front door but leaving all the windows (no pun) open.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Mazzo wrote: Password protection for launching the CD is possible, but is in my opinion, pointless. It's like locking your front door but leaving all the windows (no pun) open.
I think you are exactly right Mazzo. Saving work in encryped form will be very valuable to some. Others will believe the best form of security is ensuring they retain their datasource. It would also seem that saving data (for example on a multisession CD/RW) should have the option of saving straight (fast) or encrypted (slower)

Look forward to your future efforts :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#4 Post by Guest »

Greetings Lobster!

Thanks for that. I agree also that a good way of keeping your data safe is not to lose it in the first place!

I totally agree (as we said on the chat weekend) that there should be an option to encrypt each saved session - or not, as the user prefers.

Mazzo

#5 Post by Mazzo »

Oops - thought I was logged in!
:oops:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Encrypting multisession Puppy was discussed a few weeks ago. From the user's point of view the encryption process is transparent, requiring only a password. Here is the thread.

Mazzo

#7 Post by Mazzo »

Yep - that was my post about it!