Fonts are very blurry.

Booting, installing, newbie
Myelin

Fonts are very blurry.

#1 Post by Myelin »

Hello, i am dual booting WIndows98SE and Puppy just recently.. The fonts in Puppy are way too much blurry as compared to Windows98SE. My eyes start to water and they are difficult to read sometimes.
Is it normal or it is something related to me being used to Windows98SE?

gary101

#2 Post by gary101 »

I found the fonts to be blurry when I was running at a lower resolution than normal.

What resolution are you using in windows and what resolution in puppy?

Amfiarz

#3 Post by Amfiarz »

I've had the same problem. Now i don't have :)

REASONS (skip down if you're interested only in solution): There is an algorithm called BCI or something. It's responsible for hinting font shape in low resolutions. Because when there's uncertainty whether some pixel should be black or white, it does not matter when the font is big. When it's small, it matters a lot. So, we have vector fonts and bitmap display. With BCI we have beautiful, regular fonts like in window$. But in linux there's no BCI. That's because of patents. So small fonts would be very dirty, ugly and even worse, than you see them now. So these smart guys switch on antialiasing in almost every distro, so the missing or additional pixels of bad font rendering are less visible.

SOLUTION - first of all, we have to switch off antialiasing. It's easy in xfce, you just look for this option in menu and do it. But though i've looked for it in JWM, i haven't found :/ So step one would be to install xfce, there is a nice dotpup, so it's not a problem. Second step would be to get BCI working, even without paying fee. It's possible - and what is more, it's legal :D You have to download freetype. just type in google 'freetype' and get newest version. Sources, of course. Look in manuals and check how to enable BCI. It's about messing with one configuration file. Enable it, then compile freetype and install. Now you do really have BCI working. In U.S.A. i think it's illegal, but the BCI patent is only U.S., so for example in Poland it's legal. I'm Polish :) Okay, we now have BCI on and antialias off. Now switch again to xfce setup and enable hinting. See? Fonts look a little bit better. But there's one more thing to do: hinting does not analyze font's shape and decide about screen-font's shape. It is based on font developer's design, so there are fonts hinted better, and there are fonts hinted worse. Puppy's fonts are not the best one. The best are M$ fonts :/ Yes, sometimes even Microsoft makes something well. Just copy fonts from your windows folder to /root/.fonts and enjoy :D

Myelin

#4 Post by Myelin »

gary101 wrote:I found the fonts to be blurry when I was running at a lower resolution than normal.

What resolution are you using in windows and what resolution in puppy?
1024*768 24bit colours. Puppy.

1024*768 32bit colour. Windows98SE.

Amfiarz wrote:I've had the same problem. Now i don't have :)

REASONS (skip down if you're interested only in solution): There is an algorithm called BCI or something. It's responsible for hinting font shape in low resolutions. Because when there's uncertainty whether some pixel should be black or white, it does not matter when the font is big. When it's small, it matters a lot. So, we have vector fonts and bitmap display. With BCI we have beautiful, regular fonts like in window$. But in linux there's no BCI. That's because of patents. So small fonts would be very dirty, ugly and even worse, than you see them now. So these smart guys switch on antialiasing in almost every distro, so the missing or additional pixels of bad font rendering are less visible.

SOLUTION - first of all, we have to switch off antialiasing. It's easy in xfce, you just look for this option in menu and do it. But though i've looked for it in JWM, i haven't found :/ So step one would be to install xfce, there is a nice dotpup, so it's not a problem. Second step would be to get BCI working, even without paying fee. It's possible - and what is more, it's legal :D You have to download freetype. just type in google 'freetype' and get newest version. Sources, of course. Look in manuals and check how to enable BCI. It's about messing with one configuration file. Enable it, then compile freetype and install. Now you do really have BCI working. In U.S.A. i think it's illegal, but the BCI patent is only U.S., so for example in Poland it's legal. I'm Polish :) Okay, we now have BCI on and antialias off. Now switch again to xfce setup and enable hinting. See? Fonts look a little bit better. But there's one more thing to do: hinting does not analyze font's shape and decide about screen-font's shape. It is based on font developer's design, so there are fonts hinted better, and there are fonts hinted worse. Puppy's fonts are not the best one. The best are M$ fonts :/ Yes, sometimes even Microsoft makes something well. Just copy fonts from your windows folder to /root/.fonts and enjoy :D
My computer is too slow so i will be installing IceWM. I have yet to install the compiling environment for puppy. I will try your methos when i will get all the things (i am on dialup :()

Is there a way i can just download and install Nvidia graphic utility to change the settings. I have a TNT2 card.