Need host for Python and Ruby (SOLVED)

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Bancobusto

#16 Post by Bancobusto »

This is just my suggestion....
Change the title of how-to to (sounds funny, yes, to-to) - Tutorials.
Yes, there are a lot of questions generated by how-to's, but at least it would get the point accross that it's the space to explain HOW to do something, not to figure out how to do something.
:)

raffy

Positive development

#17 Post by raffy »

Re Flash's comment: Getting the posts organized that way is surely a positive development.

Next is keeping some sort of a tutorial for specific concerns, updated for new developments. I've tried that with hard disk install, i just dont know if it was able to reduce hard-disk related queries. Adding a forum history to a section like this might also allow pruning of the related posts in the forum. Bancobusto, i just thought plain html is speedier so i did the pages largely in plain html (no CMS, just a little visitor-review script).

Am maintaining those hard-disk install pages and would add grub install for DOS soon. Note that there is no copyright to the pages - reproduce it wherever you fancy. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Hmm, now that you mention it Bancobusto, 'Tutorial' definitely seems less ambiguous than 'How-To.' Especially for for those whose native language is not English - like us Americans. :lol: And, changing the name wouldn't require doing anything else, like moving posts and such, as far as I can see.

Raffy, I'm not clear on what you mean by adding a forum history, but it sounds interesting. Do you mean adding this history to the off-site webpage?

I would say that if it isn't too long or involved, the tutorial should be kept entirely in the forum, for reliability and easy access. Somebody in another thread linked to an off-site webpage which wasn't working when I tried it - made his post pretty much a waste of time for everyone.

Since JohnM has set up the forum so that the originator of a post can edit it, updating a tutorial is possible.

raffy

History

#19 Post by raffy »

History - some form of acknowledgment and summary, appended to a tutorial.

A tutorial with a number of images will still depend on an off-site web host for sourcing the images. But yes, i will try to put the short version in this site.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].