How do you Puppy?

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

How do you Puppy?

#1 Post by Lobster »

:D

How do you Puppy? (yes Puppy is a verb too - it means to use Puppy)
Today I was given some Mp3's on CD. Using the MUT mounter from Jesse
I can click and am playing now. Verdict - just works.

Am I happy - yes :D

My main program is Mozilla. I use the email program that is built in. I am VERY pleased to have Inkscape as a dotpup. Was using Dillo today. Yep it goes woosh. Rox is such a useful and usable file manager . . .

oh I could go on but listen . . .
How do you Puppy?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I Puppy in the morning, I Puppy in high Noon,
I Puppy in the Evening,
And underneath the moon!

Lobster, I'm really starting to prefer Mozilla to Firefox, it's starting to grow on me.
I use Puppy as a stereo, I have my amplifier attatched to me sound card (or is the other way around :shock: ) and Puppy acts as my randomized CD player...

Yes, Dillo just tears through the damn WEB - it's great, yes...

I use Puppy and Azureus to download things most days,

I use Puppy more, and more :D

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

I use puppy to browse (opera), read e-mail (web based), do internet banking, etc, but mostly to learn more about puppy and linux.

With other distros you have to go through layers of distro specific tools and config files until you get to the common linux. In puppy things are so simple that it's easy to understand how they happen.

I work all day with Windows, but puppy is always in the CD drive, so when I get home with the laptop I just reboot in puppy and thinker around.

So I use puppy so I can work in Linux in the company's XP laptop while in my backyard or late at night in my bed.

I like seeing puppy mature.

raffy

How about kids?

#4 Post by raffy »

I've seen kids love to paint in MS paint, but when introduced to a Puppy mini-CD, they always asked for it. It loads more speedily and there are more brush features. They also like the instant VCD playing - choose VCD from the media player and go!

Which means, YOU DON'T FEEL THE OS with Puppy. So it is the "applications, applications" (useful applications) idea that will really drive the adoption of Puppy.

And while I still have your time, some educational kiddie games, like "potato guy" should be in Puppy (ummm, that's for me to work on, I guess).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

rarsa wrote:I use puppy to ... read e-mail (web based)
I find I need Internet Explorer to compose, or reply to, my Yahoo! mail with html. Every other browser than IE, you can compose, or reply to, Yahoo! mail only in plain text. Or am I missing something? I told Mozilla to report that it is IE, but that didn't work.

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Flash, I had no idea that you needed IE to compose with HTML in yahoo. I always compose plain text.

I never assume that the receiver will be able to see it correctly.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Get yourself a gmail account perhaps . . .

http://www.bytetest.com/

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

tim

#8 Post by tim »

Hi, how do I Pup? - (sorry - somewhat dodgy abreviation?)
I find it excellent for advocating Linux, for example i have set up Puppy for several people who simply do not know what Linux (or mozilla is!) all i put on the desktop are three icons - dialup - email - webrowser, they are over the moon that the old p300 that was abandoned is now a fast modern machine and they can surf the net etc etc.
I think the wizards and the friendly look make a big difference, more in this area will convince new owners.
I suppose the point i am making is perhaps make sure that alternatives are available via dotpup, for those that have more knowledege and then need to expand or try out other stuff .
oops went a bit offtopic...
Tim

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Bancobusto
Only Mozilla and Firefox can run XUL eg.
http://www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul
(view source to see how XUL code looks)

Raffy check out the news page on the wiki - Mtpaint 2.00 has been released . . . and G2 has created a dotpup . . .

8)
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 07 Aug 2005, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

#10 Post by Guest »

Well since She Who Loves Me But Really Really Dislikes My Computer Habit won't let me have them all upstairs in the house I run Puppy on my Laptop with XFree86 hammered into place (ifin' it not fittin' be usin' a bigger hammer) where I can run a remote XTerm or ssh into the other to do some compiling and what not....So I guess Puppy is the Master :D

peppyy

#11 Post by peppyy »

I have given a laptop a transfusion of Puppy and I take one everywhere I go. I just hand it to people, (Lots of fun when the wireless is connected) and most don't even notice for a few minutes that they aren't using the major OS.

Another factor that really makes Puppy shine on a portable is battery life. Since the OS runs from memory, the hard drive seldom turns. I have many times run the laptop for hours, even streaming music from shoutcast, and still have not gotten my battery to 50% Yesterday I took Puppy camping and played tunes, (when beople weren't checking e-mail and looking up the book value on their cars they wanted to sell.

I have gotten a couple requests for "One just like that" or "can you make me one with a dvd?". I am always scowering the working hardware section of the website but for now I am just sticking with older pII mobile IBMs. I have discovered the wonders of Retrobox and if all goes well there soon may be a percentage of profit beind donated.

Has anyone designed a Puppy case badge yet? I could use a sheet of them to cover the old "designed for" stickers.
Attachments
pup-camp.jpg
Used the Cantenna to boost my connection.
(73.18 KiB) Downloaded 2747 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Currently, I've been using Puppy to record from my line-in jack. I installed Vector last week, so I've been using that for everything else, but I haven't quite gotten Wavesurfer to record yet. Never fear, though, as I will probably start using Puppy more when 1.0.5 comes out. In the past, however, I have used Puppy as everything from a rescue cd to a full-time os. Soon, I hope to use Puppy for software developement. I really like Vector too, so I am glad Puppy's comming from it. This way, instead of using a rival os, I'm using Puppy's foster dad :P
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

seldomseen

#13 Post by seldomseen »

Using the li'l fella for a lot more these days ... just pop in the CD, boot up, kick out the CD, good to go. Probably easier to say what I DON'T use Puppy for. Once I a) borrow a high-speed hook-up long enough to download the Chubby version -- my business records are in Open Office format -- and b) figure out a way to work jpilot with Puppy, then this has the earmarks of a full-time do-everything system that can run on anything. Who'd'a thunk it?

When I tried out version 9.1, I thought this was a cool concept but little more than a cute toy -- kind of like a Yorkie. The more Puppy matures, the more I see it can be used for serious business. Barry & Co. are to be commended.

dakstony

How I use Puppy

#14 Post by dakstony »

Right now I have Puppy dual booting on my hard drive with win 98, I use puppy for web surfing, email, and for learning about linux. I've only been using puppy for about a week now, but I am already enjoying it much more than windoze.
Thanks Barry for such a wonderful alternative!

peppyy

#15 Post by peppyy »

Well I just finished another ThinkPad for a client.
Really nice little 600E and it flies with firefox and wifi. Clocked it today on my DSL doing 3.6 meg/second. Not to shabby for an old PII mobile 366 running on battery yet.

I was thinking about the HP commercial where the frames snap photos and I just had to come up with a simmilar photo. This is a real photo of the laptop that prossesed the photo. I have now set it as the desktop background.

I can't wait to deliver this little gem and start another one. The best way I know to spread the word about Puppy is to get it into the hands of as many people as possible. When all is said and done, the entire laptop is going to cost then just a little more than a "Professional" operating system and it will run faster. cleaner. leaner and longer.
Attachments
600e.jpg
(26.64 KiB) Downloaded 2913 times
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Caraibes

#16 Post by Caraibes »

I am becomming more and more of an adept of the Puppy OS.
I have a little network at home, and at first I installed "BeatrIX Linux", which is fine too... But then, I started to leave a Puppy CD in the drive all the time, and I am now hooked.
As of my main PC, I am still a "prisoner of Bill Gates" in the sense that so far I access DSL thru a USB modem (speedtouch 330), and couldn't make it work under any Linux (the closest I got was with Kaella Knoppix....)
I am looking forward changing that modem for any other that connect with a RJ-45 port... Then, I'll have to figure out a way to configure my TV card (lifeView 2000)...

Now, I am searching for a second-hand laptop, obsolete under Window$, that will permanently host my Puppy...

About languages : here in Dominican Republic, everybody speaks spanish, it would be intersesting to start thinking about a way to translate (lots of hispanos in the world, most of them have easier access to older PC's...)

well, that's about it.... Again, great job Barry, as well as the whole Puppy Community, Big thanks !!!

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

The concept and the actual execution: Excellent.

besby11

#18 Post by besby11 »

HELLO,
I just wanna tell everyone that im now hookted on puppy like a drug its just so fast!!!!!i have 2 computers one (was) kubuntu linux and one with W1n1ow$ and i usuily would just use m$ but then i tryed puppy and im hookted i formatted both and installed puppy and lovin it.

so how do i puppy, the best way

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#19 Post by Lobster »

Puppy is a drug.

Known side effects.
Increase in knowledge
Being kind to puppys

Get involved anyway you find is fun: Learn to program, develop the IRC channel (which is languishing), improve some wiki pages - oh I dunno develop a talking Puppy . . .

. . . wot no speech recognition in Puppy? tsk tsk - ALSA support and then speech recognition . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 07 Oct 2005, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

fang

#20 Post by fang »

A Slackware man for years (well the last 9 anyhow, and I do still run it on my main home PC, and on a couple of development ones at work) and a fan of FreeBSD (and of OpenBSD - have created my own very small 'live CD' type images for this OS), and have tried out the other main "live cd" 'distros' out there, but I have to say that I'm very impressed by puppy - just don't like the name, not a big dog lover, much prefer pussies (and kittens) - and will be even more impressed if the USB flash drive installation I've tried actually works when I get back to work and have access to a PC that can boot from it.

Will try out the 'unleashed' source next to see what that can do for me (ie. hopefully make me a CD that includes ndiswrapper wireless support by default - now that would be cool).

Ni!
Fang