Puppy saved me a LOT of time and not pulling my hair out.

Promote Puppy !
Mr Doolie

Puppy saved me a LOT of time and not pulling my hair out.

#1 Post by Mr Doolie »

I decided to switch back to WinME from Win2000 to see if some of my problems would go away. The problem was I have data and games installed that I do NOT want to install again! That stuff is on DVDs and takes hours to install.

Puppy came to the rescue. I converted the drive from NTFS to FAT32 with Partition Magic and then booted my Puppy CD. I then used puppy to delete all the Winblows files and stuff I didn't want. When I was done I had an empty FAT32 drive with just the stuff I wanted. Now I will install WinME without formatting the drive and not have to reinstall all that stuff.

Let me forstall the warnings I may get. I know Winblows games make registry entries. Well, if they don't work any more tough luck on me I can reinstall them if I HAVE to. At least I still have my data files and that's the MAIN stuff I wanted to keep.

FOLLOWUP:

No, same crap with WinME. Windows just plain sucks.

If anybody ever finds an emulator like VMWare or something that is 100% compatable, runs at native speed and handles DirectX let me know. All I need windows for is my heavy duty games. Guess my current Win2000/Puppy dual boot system is the best setup for me.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

I decided to switch back to WinME from Win2000 to see if some of my problems would go away.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. And I had a fairly humorous day. :wink:

Even those who like Windows acknowledge WinME as garbage. I could "upgrade" my computer to ME for free at any time, but I'd rather stick with 98SE. Mom uses ME. Her computer is always screwing up too. Mine has more problems, but that's a result of the abuse I put the poor thing through. If I used Mom's like I use mine, well, lets just say I'd need to make a trip to the hospital to treat a severely cut hand and electrical burns. :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

For all its faults Windows Me has one truly useful feature that 98 doesn't: System Restore. It may slow the computer down (unnoticeably) and take up space on the hard drive, but it saved my bacon several times when I bought my first computer and started tinkering with it. Running Puppy from a live CD would have been even better but it wasn't around back then. :(

Mr Doolie

#4 Post by Mr Doolie »

Pizzasgood wrote:
I decided to switch back to WinME from Win2000 to see if some of my problems would go away.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. And I had a fairly humorous day. :wink:
Yes, but.....

The FAT32 system is compatable with everything includng Puppy. You have read/write ability unlike read-only with NTFS. You can change the size of the pup file and so on.

WinME runs a lot faster on my system. The drive doesn't sit there grinding away for minutes at a time. The programs just pop right up.

I have more free memory with ME. More free disk space.

It's 100% compatable with *ALL* my games; even the real old DOS ones.
2000 does not have true DOS. It's hidden but accessable in ME.

But....it crashes every little while and there are no drivers for my hardware so forget it.

Anyway, the problems were still there. Messed-up icons and random lockups and random windows popping up and files missing and then reappearing so I'm back to the 2000/Puppy Dualboot setup.
I HATE WINDOWS!

As for ME's SystemRestore, I have GoBack which is a LOT LOT LOT better!