Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 05:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Anyone want custom kernels or drivers?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
peppyy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 11:54    Post subject:  

I saw this thread a long time ago and I have concidered asking for a version of Puppy with the modules for infra red , (IRDA) built in. It would be nice to include irda drivers for the bjc-80 and 85 printers too. I have no idea why I have such a problem figuring out how to compile a kernel in Puppy.

Since I am building mostly PupTops I would be interested in power management and wifi, (which is pretty well covered) and anything else that makes them more portable. I think I am going to stick with the older IBM ThinkPads because they seem very durable and easy to find at the moment.

The 600E's have a few quirks that need some special tweaking but overall are by far the most popular of the machines I have built due mostly to the size. Another thing that always amazes people is the battery life. Since Puppy runs in ram, If the hard drive is idled down the battery lasts forever, compaired to many other popular O/Ses.

My plan is to put together complete packages.

PupTop
Wifi enabled
Power Adapter, A second one optional
Case for PupTop
Docking station or port replecator, optional
Usb pen drive for backup.
Printer with wireless printing and power adapter
Optional battery power for printer.
Case for printer.

If I can do this correctly I should be able to sell a complete package for a reasonable price. 10% of my profit will go to Puppy as it has in the past.

I have several requests I hope to fill in the next month or so.

Tell me this is not a slick setup Wink

edoc

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2005, 18:37    Post subject:  

peppyy wrote:
Since I am building mostly PupTops I would be interested in power management and wifi, (which is pretty well covered) and anything else that makes them more portable. I think I am going to stick with the older IBM ThinkPads because they seem very durable and easy to find at the moment.
The 600E's ...

I have two 600E's one with and one without a HDD.

Is it possible to boot a 600E without a HDD? I do have a small HDD somewhere but no carrier. Have you rigged one to boot from a USB stick?

Thanks! doc

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
~newbie

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov 2005, 19:49    Post subject: Bootsplash  

I wish a compiled kernel of Puppy Linux supporting Grub bootsplash. Because when I put the GRUB parameter splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in the menu.lst nothing happens. Can this be possible? Wish to have this in Puppy 1.0.6

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov 2005, 07:08    Post subject: Re: Bootsplash  

~newbie wrote:
I wish a compiled kernel of Puppy Linux supporting Grub bootsplash. Because when I put the GRUB parameter splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz in the menu.lst nothing happens. Can this be possible? Wish to have this in Puppy 1.0.6

Nothing to do with the Puppy Kernel...read the Grub man pages\docs more closely
bombay_rockers

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov 2005, 15:56    Post subject: kernel 2.6.12 for puppy  

how to compile kernel 2.6.12 for puppy or can you do it for me ?
Is there a way to use the precompiled kernel available on linux-live.org in puppy.
it is already patched for unionfs and squashfs
gliezl

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2005, 01:23    Post subject:  

I think GRUB won't support the splashimage command. Or maybe the kernel does not support it. Confused

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2005, 03:55    Post subject:  

splashimage in grub works for me, (without '=' sign) :-

splashimage (hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
RMW

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov 2005, 10:36    Post subject:  

How about a script to handle all the command line configurations for wifi for us, or some sort of interface? Just gets to be a pain to have to use two computers (one to read the instructions, one to configure) to try to get it to work. Sue me, I'm lazy Smile

And if someone feels like putting that together, how about including WAP in it. Be nice to boot up, enter the wizard, fill in the blanks, and let the script/UI configure everything for me, fix the appropriate files, etc. I've never gotten WAP to work properly, which I can only guess means I'm consistently screwing up something during configuration.
edoc

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov 2005, 23:05    Post subject:  

RMW wrote:
How about a script to handle all the command line configurations for wifi for us, or some sort of interface? Just gets to be a pain to have to use two computers (one to read the instructions, one to configure) to try to get it to work. Sue me, I'm lazy Smile

And if someone feels like putting that together, how about including WAP in it. Be nice to boot up, enter the wizard, fill in the blanks, and let the script/UI configure everything for me, fix the appropriate files, etc. I've never gotten WAP to work properly, which I can only guess means I'm consistently screwing up something during configuration.

I was just discussing this with a new user of Puppy 1.0.5 today.

He was very surprised that loading 1.0.5 to a HDD was as complex as it is and that it is a nightmare to try and figure out a ndiswrapper wireless install because that is missing from 1.0.5

I received a great deal of help installing my Buffalo g54 wireless pcmcia nic under 1.0.4 and have not upgraded completely to 1.0.5 on that laptop because I am not prepared to invest the time to try and make it work under 1.0.5 ... I am praying that wireless is more comprehensively addressed in 1.0.6

I agree that these processes need to be automated for Puppy to go mainstream -- it is *rare* that a laptop user does not need wireless and the short list of wireless nic drivers leaves many offline -- the ndiswrapper process needs full automation as you have described because so many laptop nics (some internal) require it under Linux.

I wish I could do it but a new child in the house, starting a new small business, and new responsibilities at church on top of the already busy schedule doesn't leave the many hours necessary right now.

There must be someone out there who is more technically adept who can make this happen ... Wink

doc

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
kelewax

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2005, 01:23    Post subject:  

Please is there a way for me to say the type of mouse I want to use in the menu.lst placed in the c:\boot so that i am not asked to select my mouse type during booting? I know for example that I can choose the keyboard map by using PKEYS=us

I am using puppy 1.0.5 on NTFS hard disk.

Last edited by kelewax on Thu 10 Nov 2005, 13:13; edited 1 time in total
RMW

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2005, 10:04    Post subject:  

As long as we're talking custom kernels, has anyone tried a 64-bit build? I'm using a 64-bit AMD, be interesting if Puppy could take advantage of that.

BTW, don't waste your time on WinXP 64. Driver nightmare. I actually had to add entries to the latest Nvidia .inf to get it to recognize my video card. If you are like me and have a mix of old and new hardware you are just asking for headaches.
Page 4 of 4 [56 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: