Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 19 Feb 2018, 02:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
save_file_wizard-0.1
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2007, 17:45    Post subject:  save_file_wizard-0.1
Subject description: Encrypt, Decrypt, and make new save-files

save_file_wizard-0.1.pup
Warning: This is a BETA level app until I've heard confirmation that it actually works! It worked when I was playing with it, but I don't trust it yet.

This is a small utility for working with save-files. It will allow you to create new ones, and encrypt or decrypt existing ones. When creating a savefile, it offers several options for size, and the choice to encrypt or not. It also lets you copy in the contents of another save-file.

It installs to /usr/sbin/, and adds a .desktop entry to /usr/share/applications/.

You need to have the aes and cryptoloop modules installed. The program will load them automatically if they aren't already loaded, but it can only do this if they exist. I don't think the standard Puppy has them by default, but if you have already added encryption support following the instructions posted by Paulbx1, John Doe, and Kirk, you'll have them.

I'm sorry about all the "are you sure" prompts. A future version will have a better design that won't need them (by either having all options in one screen, or offering "back" and "cancel" options).

Do make sure that any save files you make are put on the actual harddrive, not inside another save-file. Unless it's what you really want, but Puppy won't see them that way.

Please note: this should probably be considered BETA. I haven't used it much, so I can't verify it's stability or consistancy. Back up any save files you plan to encrypt or decrypt with it. Also, if you manage to crash it, go look in the directory you were making the save-file in. There may be a leftover temporary save-file left over, or the one you were working with renamed.

@WhoDo: If you've added encryption support to 2.15CE, this should work. Just unzip the .pup, and extract the dotpup.tar.gz file. It already has the usr/whatever file layout. Just stick that in a save_file_wizard-0.1 directory inside the packages/ directory of Unleashed, and it should work. Also, it comes with it's own .desktop entry already. You might want to change the icon or category, it doesn't bother me any.

sccat

PostPosted: Fri 09 Mar 2007, 23:39    Post subject:  

Good News。

I want to make a small "pup_save.3fs" of around 32MB.
RobertB

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2007, 17:49    Post subject:  

I'll try this to see if it works. I tried to create an encrypted pup_save using the script in this Developer Forum thread, but it failed near the end (unable to open the filesystem). I've got 2.15CE, so I think my odds are pretty good.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2007, 18:19    Post subject:  

For the record, WhoDo dropped encryption from 2.15CE. 2.16 should support it though, unless Barry changes his mind.

RobertB

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2007, 22:15    Post subject:  

Pizzasgood wrote:
For the record, WhoDo dropped encryption from 2.15CE. 2.16 should support it though, unless Barry changes his mind.

You probably saved me an hour of wondering what I was doing wrong. Embarassed Thanks!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2007, 23:17    Post subject:  

Yes it's in 2.16.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: