HSF/HCF softmodem dotpups available for testing

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Has any of these drivers worked for anyone?

Poll ended at Sun 04 Sep 2005, 02:54

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Still Trying
100%

Total votes: 3

New Puppy Fan

#46 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Thanks, jcoder for advice concerning 2.6.x kernel. It was me as a Guest. I definitely wont stick to HCF modem and will try to find more "Linux friendly" . Do you know the types of modems which work flawlessly with Puppy?
Thank you.
New Puppy Fan

jcoder24

#47 Post by jcoder24 »

External serial modems are preferred and almost guaranteed to work. Failing that you can prob. try a hardware/controller based internal modem. Note however that some retail outlets may try to pass off a winmodem as being a hardware modem.

jcoder24

#48 Post by jcoder24 »

Keys to knowing if the modem you are purchasing is a winmodem is looking for one of the following keywords: softmodem, winmodem, Windows-only, controlless, HSF, HCF.

Another indication is the number of components (esp. chips on the modem) the fewer the components the more likely it is to be a winmodem.

The only sure way of knowing is to do some research on the particular modem you are thinking of buying, including getting reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com). You could also get a find out what hardware based modems others find to work and chose one?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#49 Post by Flash »

Definitely start by looking for hardware that has been proven to work with the Linux distro you choose.

I bought a PCI card modem which said on the box that it would work with Linux; a US Robotics 5610B, if I remember right. It worked fine in Windows, although not as well as the Winmodem that came with the computer, but I was never able to get it to work in Mandrake Linux. Someone who knew more than I did about Linux tinkered around and got online with it one time, but then said he couldn't remember what he did that got it to work.

The problem seemed to be that every Linux distro I tried assumed that all internal modems are Winmodems. That was a few years ago. Maybe things have improved. I wouldn't know because a few years ago I got an (internal) cable modem, a Zoom 5001, which works fine with every OS I've tried, no configuration required, so I just forgot about the dial-up modem.

Dial-up is the legacy connection to the internet. I'll never understand why it works so poorly in Linux when Linux has no problem with newer, high speed technologies.

jcoder24

#50 Post by jcoder24 »

New Puppy Fan wrote:Thanks, jcoder for advice concerning 2.6.x kernel. It was me as a Guest. I definitely wont stick to HCF modem and will try to find more "Linux friendly" . Do you know the types of modems which work flawlessly with Puppy?
Thank you.
See http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/ModemPageWorking for a list of working modems, not sure which kernel version they work with.