Boot a multi-session CD from within Windows with qemu?

Booting, installing, newbie
ezysetup

Boot a multi-session CD from within Windows with qemu?

#1 Post by ezysetup »

Hello everyone. I posted once as a guest, problem solved, and now I'm signed up. Thank you everyone, and especially Barry, for...

...AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PRODUCT. It's a neat, clean, much easier to use than DSL, and doesn't contain 5,000 software packages in the distro (whoever thought that would be useful anyway). With the tools included (with Chubby Puppy), I have everything I need to be productive. THANKS AGAIN.

-----------------------------------------------

I'm playing with the multi-session CD implementation. For my needs, this will be the tool that will come in the handiest. I hope the concept continues to be developed.

One thing that would be very handy is being able to boot the mulit-session CD from within Windows (XP-Pro SP2 and Win2K-Pro). To be able to run my "personal pc" while at work would be very handy. I'm sure it would run significantly slower, but as long as it is still a workable speed then the benefit would outweigh the performance hit. I've seen mention of this kind of capability within Linux forums, but I'm a Linux newbie and don't have a clue how to even get started.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Bancobusto

#2 Post by Bancobusto »

I don't know if this is what your looking for, in regards to the multisession CD, but it may be http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html

I hope that that's helpfull :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

If I understand correctly, qemu has to be installed on the host computer.

ezysetup

#4 Post by ezysetup »

Hmmm, looking at the document, it appears it can be launched from the media (USB or CD). I'm heading to bed now. I'll have to look at this again when I'm more alert.

Thanks,
Andrew

BlackAdder

#5 Post by BlackAdder »

Erik's implementation has the whole kit and kaboodle on a USB flash drive. So nothing is installed on the host computer and you do not need to re-boot unless running the QEMU-Puppy on metal option.

It supports running under Windows (or Linux) as a "program", with a complete Puppy in the file systems on the flash drive. So to start it, you run a program from the flash drive and have a little patience.
Windows just sees a program requiring 128MB of memory and lots of CPU cycles, and you see Puppy booted up from a virtual drive in a window.

Not advisable to try it on a system with less than 256MB memory and with a processor slower than - say - 1.4GHz IMHO; just because Puppy would run so slowly. Also, Puppy's access to machine resources is very limited, e.g. no CD-ROM.

Great fun to see Puppy as a cuckoo in the Windows nest, though.
Have not tried it, but you could have recursive Puppies. That seems a bit pointless except - maybe - for testing.

For a definition of recursive, see recursive. Old joke, sorry. :wink:

#6 Post by Guest »

I've tried recursive Vmware....not pretty hehehehehe

ezysetup

#7 Post by ezysetup »

Also, Puppy's access to machine resources is very limited, e.g. no CD-ROM.
That's a pretty significant limitation when you're using a multi-session CD!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

BlackAdder wrote:Erik's implementation has the whole kit and kaboodle on a USB flash drive. So nothing is installed on the host computer and you do not need to re-boot unless running the QEMU-Puppy on metal option.

It supports running under Windows (or Linux) as a "program", with a complete Puppy in the file systems on the flash drive. So to start it, you run a program from the flash drive and have a little patience.
Windows just sees a program requiring 128MB of memory and lots of CPU cycles, and you see Puppy booted up from a virtual drive in a window.
Let me see if I got this. To run Eric's qemu-Puppy from within Windows, you plug the USB flash drive into a USB port and qemu-Puppy appears as an "exe" file that you just click on?