Printing (CUPS) stopped working after 2.14 upgrade(Resolved)

Booting, installing, newbie
RJW

Printing (CUPS) stopped working after 2.14 upgrade(Resolved)

#1 Post by RJW »

Hello,

I had my parallel port attached printer (Lexmark 3200) working fine after installing cups-install-v0.3.pup and using the appropriate .ppd file in Puppy 2.13. After I upgraded to Puppy 2.14, everything printing-wise looks and acts like its going to work (pop-up windows, etc.), but nothing comes out on the printer and there are no active or completed print jobs to be found whether printing from an app or trying to do a test page. I've confirmed that the printer is working on my Win2k partition, and I tried deleting and re-adding the printer in CUPS. I've checked the bootkernel.log and it looks like the parallel port is properly configured.

Has anyone resolved a similar problem, or have suggestions on how best to proceed? It is my understanding that this dotpup cannot be uninstalled, and I'm unsure if its ok to install it again on top of the existing installation.

Thanks.
Last edited by RJW on Sun 11 Mar 2007, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

EdFromHouston

#2 Post by EdFromHouston »

If I were you I would reinstall it. What could it hurt?

Check the /etc/rc.d/rc.local for something like this:
# Load the usb printer module
modprobe usblp (or whatever)

# Start cups
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

Then look to see if /etc/rc.d/rc.cups is there.

I don't know this for certain but I would think it is just to complicated to uninstall. I would also think it would just overwrite the files.

RJW

#3 Post by RJW »

You were right, Ed. Reinstalling cups went fine and has me up and printing again. It helps to have some encouragement when venturing into the unknown.

Thanks much.

Richard