Skype disconnects after 5 minutes max

Using applications, configuring, problems
cjayadevan

Skype disconnects after 5 minutes max

#1 Post by cjayadevan »

Hello All,

I was trying to use Puppy 2.14 with an old computer (P III 450 MHz, 128 MB SD Ram, SIS 6326 Display card, Creative 128 Vibra Sound card. The motherboard I do not remember. It has a Sony 24X CD writer, an unbranded floppy drive, and 2 USB Ports which I added later.

I am very happy to tell that Puppy runs faster and better than the W ME OS. It also finds the network very fast. By the way I am using a motorola surfboard cable modem. But when that is plugged into the USB port, the same can not be detected.

One plus point I wish to say is that Skype is clearer on this old machine without any echo. There are some minor problems I would like to list.

1. Skype terminates the voice call by itself after a maximum of 5 minutes. But till that time the voice is clear.

2. Online contacts doesnt appear to be so. Still as I know they are online, I can make calls to them. I do not know this is a skype problem or not.

3. Sometimes there is a message coming in as " Please re-install skype. And I can not see the installed skype in the dependancy check box. But after a system reboot normally all will be okay.

I would like to thank Barry for his remarkable contribution to the Mid range computer users.

Looking forward to see if anyone of you can help me out in this case and I hope, the same will be useful to others.

Thank you all,
Regards

raffy

Version

#2 Post by raffy »

Check Skype's website for new Linux version - it should be easy to install. In the link below, you can also find a Puppy build with Skype in it.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Does it always happen after the call has been connected for the same amount of time? I haven't installed it in 2.14 but Skype worked very well for me in previous versions of Puppy. The voice quality is much better than cell phone or even regular landline phone. I talked to my brother for hours several times and it disconnected only rarely.

By the way, there is a bad echo if my brother uses his laptop. We figure it is because the microphone and the speaker are solidly mounted in the hard laptop case. The sound is conducted from the speaker to the microphone through the solid material of the case.