How to run Office 2003 in Wine on Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mordor

How to run Office 2003 in Wine on Puppy

#1 Post by Mordor »

Ok, this guide is for advanced users, who have some knowledge of how Windows works. It also won't be too detailed since I don't have much time. If in doubt, use Google.

By following this guide you can get basic Office functionality to work. Why would you want to use Office if Puppy has Abiword and Gnumeric. Well, for starters Office runs much faster even in wine than the last two. Also, if you have paid for Office and legally own it, there shouldn't be any reason why'd want to switch(unless you're against closed source software).

Ok, here are the steps.

1. I'm assuming you already have Office installed in your windows. Using Windows Explorer or Total Commander search and find these files. They should be in C:\Program Files.

excel.exe
Gdiplus.dll
Mso.dll
Msointl.dll
winword.exe
ID_03B.DPC

xlintl32.dll
wwintl.dll

Copy these files to a separate folder, say office. Create a new folder called 1033 and move xlintl32.dll and wwintl.dll to it. Also create two empy files in the main folder.

excel.exe.local
winword.exe.local

2. Run Regedit.exe and export the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office to a separate reg file say hklm.reg.
3. Run Regedit.exe and export the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office to a separate reg file say hkcurrentuser.reg.

4. Boot into Puppy and install Wine, I used the Wine-0.9.28-without-OpenGL.pup search for it in the forums. It gives some error about glibc but seemed to work fine for me.

5. Go to your newly created Office folder and run wine winword.exe. You should get a message box saying IOPL not enabled.

6. In rxvt, type regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ and create a key Office, then another key called 11.0, then another called Common, then another called FilesPaths. Finally, in the right frame right click and create a new string called mso.dll. Double click and enter the path to mso.dll. Important, the path must be a Windows path. So if your Office Folder is on C:\Office you should enter D:\Office. But, you must create a new drive with label D in WineCfg(type winecfg and click on drives) which must point to your Windows partition.

7. Ok if the last step was successful, you can run wine winword.exe again and this time Office should launch and give you an error "The application is not registered for the current user" or something of that sort.

8. At this point you have two choices. The first one is illegal and involves patching activation in a certain dll. I'll obviously won't give any details on how to do this, but you can use Google to find and download the patch.

9. Second option is to use a registry editor and upload the reg files you created in step 2 and 3. Unfortunately, the Wine registry editor didn't work for the files, so you have to download and install a registry editor. I use Registry Workshop, but you may use another one, so long as it allows importing registry files.

10. With your newly installed registry editor import hkcurrentuser.reg which you created in step 3 to registry. Try running word again. If it runs, you're all set.

11. If not, you need to also import hklm.reg into Wine registry. After that, you need to go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\FilesPaths and edit the mso.dll string value and reenter the path you entered in step 6. Try running word it should start.

That's it. I'd appreciate if some of the advanced users who get this working would make another more detailed tutorial. Note that to make spelling and grammar checker work you need to also copy the following files.

MSTH3BR.LEX
MSTH3AM.LEX

MSLID.DLL
MSWDS_EN.LEX
MSSP3ENA.LEX
MSSP3EN.LEX

ATLCONV.DLL
mssp2_en.lex

MSHY2_EN.LEX
mssp232.dll
MSSPELL3.DLL
CSAPI3T1.DLL
MSHYPH2.DLL
CHAPI3T1.DLL
MSTHES3.DLL
CTAPI3T2.DLL
CUSTOM.DIC

bobwrit

#2 Post by bobwrit »

here's an idea for the people who deleted windows and installed linux
1. download it or get the cd
:!: if you installed it from the cd then you might have to run the install in wine too(follow steps 3&4
2. unzip
3. type wine {whare you installed it here} {what windows version you want to run it in}
:!: the wine desktop should come up and run it
:P :P 8)