How do I set File-Program Associations?

Booting, installing, newbie
ezysetup

How do I set File-Program Associations?

#1 Post by ezysetup »

How can I associate a file type (such as an OO text document) to a program? For instance, if I create an OO text document then when I later click on the document I would like it to just open within OO. I've tried right-mouse-clicking on the file, doing "set run action", and then dragging the /user/OpenOffice.org1.1.4/program/swriter icon into the dialog, but that does nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Andrew

PS. I'm running Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 from a multi-session CD.

Jesse

#2 Post by Jesse »

Yes it is a limitation at the moment, the current way of doing those file associations is a bit geeky and hard to understand, especially for most people.

I'm having a go at adding a menu option to provide the facility that you are after. But strangely enough its taking a while to make it happen... as I'm trying to make it maybe too easy to use... hmm, maybe I'll put up a quick hack version soon :)

I'll probably make a post to this thread in next few days:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

For your sxw file to left click open in OO, you need to make a script file to launch it called /root/Choices/MIME-types/application_x-zip

so yeah a bit geeky... maybe wait for my next post

Jesse

ezysetup

#3 Post by ezysetup »

Thanks. I'm such a newbie with Linux that I never know if it is a limitation of the OS or a limitation of my knowledge. I will wait.

Andrew