Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 22:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Beryl on Puppy(Installation guide for nvidia gfx cards.)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
wdef

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2007, 04:41    Post_subject:  

@jimhap

When compiling fontsproto I used the options wow was using for xorg:

--prefix=/usr/X11R7/ --bindir=/usr/X11R7/bin --libdir=/usr/X11R7/lib --includedir=/usr/X11R7/include --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

(though now I can't remember if I set --build=i386, probably should have)

and the .pc file installed in /usr/X11R7/lib/pkgconfig which is where the others seem to be.

My goal is to compile a patched nsc driver for wow's xorg. Since wow has compiled an nsc driver this must be straightforward enough.

Perhaps wow stripped xproto, fontsproto, etc out of his headers package? (There's no .pc files for these in the above dir either).

UPDATE - SUCCESS!!: I compiled and installed fontsproto and the rest of them => then my driver compiled. As they say: yay! The obvious solution is often the right one.

@wow: perhaps you could add these back into your xorg packages to prevent future suffering? That would be great! thx.

EDIT UPDATE - FAILURE!!: The driver only compiled statically. No shared object.

@johndoe:

Will you be posting your Xorg .pups somewhere in due course?

Edited_time_total
wdef

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2007, 12:09    Post_subject:  

@wow: mplayer-1.0rc1-nvidia doesn't seem to be working properly with this xorg either. Like gxine it launches but won't play:

Code:
X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)?,?% 0 0 77%         

MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: flip_page
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
mplayer: xcb_xlib.c:41: xcb_xlib_lock: Assertion `!c->xlib.lock' failed
wow

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2007, 20:06    Post_subject:  

wdef wrote:

UPDATE FIXED: new i810 *is* installed in a weird location. Doing this and editing xorg.conf fixed it:
Code:
cp /usr/local/xf86-video-i810-X11R7.2-1.6.5/FiLESYSTEM/usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/i810_drv.so /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/drivers

So the package needs fixing.

Oops, thanks for that. I'll fix it ASAP.
wdef wrote:

Does your Xorg contain fontsproto?

Did you compile this Xorg on Puppy or was it Slackware or something?

EDIT: fontsproto.pc can be found inside Puppy's devx_*.sfs, not in my dotpup because the latest version was already packed with Puppy. See unionfs bug(The bug)...

Yes, it must be inside the dev package x11-7.2-upd-dev.pup. To make the upgrade to x11-7.2, first I'd download, compile and install the x11-7.1's sources then x11-7.2. Everything was done in Puppy-2.13.
I experienced the same problem too due an unionfs bug.

The bug: If you install any package in the first boot, all the new folders will have a hidden file named .wh.* and when you reboot, those folders will became unable to display the contents of the SFS addons. Example: in the first boot a "xxx.pup" install files to /usr/include/ then you reboot but this time with the devx_*.sfs mounted, now if you go to the /usr/include/ folder you'll only see the files installed by "xxx.pup" and the contents from the SFS won't be in there.

To solve it try this(only for frugal installs or booting from the live CD):

Option 1 A new pup_save.
Boot Puppy in RAM mode
Don't install any dotpup/dotpet(this cause the bug in future sessions).
Save a new pup_save file in the same partition which the devx/ooo/etc addon is placed.
Now reboot and choose the new and clean pup_save file.

Option 2 Cleaning the save file (Requires konqueror).
Boot Puppy and open konqueror
Go to this folder: '/initrd/pup_rw' press 'Ctrl+F' and type: '.wh*' into the input box, then press the Find button.
Wait for the results, now select all and delete them.
Reboot.

Edited_times_total
wow

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2007, 20:59    Post_subject:  

jimhap wrote:
wow did you manage to put the "quarter-million" dependencies into the dotPups?? Shocked
(their way of saying it @ http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Building_Beryl)

Not really. Beryl requires many updates to be compiled in Puppy, but it need less updates to run propertly Wink
jimhap wrote:
i tried to compile many times but ALWAYS hit an error about Xcomposite and other stuff.

What did you compile? I tried to compile beryl-core-0.2.1, then beryl-manager-0.2.1.

It was a painful work. Now I have my own Puppy remaster(with all these dependencies installed), ready to build future Beryl releases Smile to build new releases since 0.1.4 I only have to compile the sources in alphabetical order.

wow

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2007, 21:07    Post_subject:  

John Doe wrote:
Took detailed notes while building a script. Perhaps it could save Barry some time in possibly integrating an xorg upgrade.

It would be really good.
John Doe wrote:
Also, was able to get it running using your config instructions as well as with T2. But I'm still unable to get T2 to respect my config options for aiglx and I'm missing DRI when I do it manually. So I'm still only half way there.

Today I recompiled x11-7.2 with GLX extension, and I got a similar error((EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded). Something about DRI. I think that is something with the Mesa's DRI. I'm not using the proprietary driver from nVidia.
Code:
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
(EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded
(II) Loading local sub module "GLcore"
(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libGLcore.so
(II) Module GLcore: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
   compiled for 7.2.0, module version = 1.0.0
   ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) GLX: Initialized MESA-PROXY GL provider for screen 0

And if I run Beryl...

Edited_time_total
wow

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2007, 21:11    Post_subject:  

wdef wrote:
@wow: mplayer-1.0rc1-nvidia doesn't seem to be working properly with this xorg either.

Seems that gxine and mplayer must be recompiled with the new xorg's headers. I use xfmedia or VLC and they works fine with x11-7.2.

Screenshot: VideoLAN(VLC) playing a .flv downloaded from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB9ZhLBSoBQ is a song from Amplitude, PlayStation2 game.

I compiled xorg-server-X11R7.2-1.2.0 again but this time with the GLX extension(--with-mesa-source)
Code:
./configure --build=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr/X11R7 --libdir=/usr/X11R7/lib --includedir=/usr/X11R7/include --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-aiglx --with-mesa-source=/mnt/hdc9/sources/Mesa-6.5.2

Now I need to install the new DRI modules of Mesa-6.5.2. Hopefully I won't get the (EE) AIGLX: DRI module not loaded error in Xorg after that.

wow

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2007, 00:10    Post_subject:  

John Doe wrote:
Best news first; my ATI 3D card (MOBILITY RADEON 9000) is running DRI using xorg 7.1 radeon driver and OpenGL. Confirmed using MU's script to see the ANTS (extracted 3D Control Panel manually and ran script to avoid version conflicts). I get ~50fps. Will try to dig up exact chipset again sometime.

Smile Ok, if you have some time to try beryl on your system read this:

Make sure these parameters are present at the end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "Extensions"

Option "Composite" "Enable"

EndSection

Search the net for "beryl+AIGLX+ATI" the success rate is very low. Take your time, can be difficult.

wdef

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2007, 08:25    Post_subject:  

Quote:
The bug: If you install any package in the first boot, all the new folders will have a hidden file named .wh.* and when you reboot, those folders will became unable to display the contents of the SFS addons. Example: in the first boot a "xxx.pup" install files to /usr/include/ then you reboot but this time with the devx_*.sfs mounted, now if you go to the /usr/include/ folder you'll only see the files installed by "xxx.pup" and the contents from the SFS won't be in there.

So .pups with headers effectively clobber .devx_*sfs headers on reboot. Not good.

That might explain a lot of compile problems. Is this bug for all .pup n]header + devx_*sfs packages and all Puppies? If so it's pretty useless since headers will be vanishing on reboots ie defeats the purpose of the package. Barry is fixing, or not possible?

I'll take note of the fix for future reference.

Quote:
To make the upgrade to x11-7.2, first I'd download, compile and install the x11-7.1's sources then x11-7.2.

So you're actually building two versions of xorg from scratch to get where you are -- sheeesh!
[
wow

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2007, 23:11    Post_subject:  

wdef wrote:
So .pups with headers effectively clobber .devx_*sfs headers on reboot. Not good.

That might explain a lot of compile problems. Is this bug for all .pup n]header + devx_*sfs packages and all Puppies? If so it's pretty useless since headers will be vanishing on reboots ie defeats the purpose of the package.

Not really, they are not 'vanished', the're hidden. Deleting the .wh* files and then reboot fix it.
wdef wrote:
Barry is fixing, or not possible?

"...Those who have been following the discussion on Unionfs will know that there are problems with "whiteout" files..."
http://www.puppyos.net/news/index.php?m=04&y=07&entry=entry070419-082918

Edited_time_total
wow

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2007, 23:58    Post_subject:  

I compiled the MesaLibs-6.5.2 sources, DRI modules and MesaGlut-6.5.2 this fixed the 'xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock...' message.
Then I installed Beryl(on this test system, using a generic display driver for my nvidia card) to see what happens and !!!!! . . . I got a blank screen Confused !!!! Checking the Xorg log I found this:
Code:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(==) AIGLX enabled
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R7/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
(II) Loading local sub module "GLcore"
(II) LoadModule: "GLcore"

OMG (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable I don't have a nvidia DRI module. Later I burnt this Puppy+Beryl+mesa+etc and boot it on another PC with integrated graphic chips(ProSavage KM266/KL266), and a DRI module for that chipset. Now AIGLX is activated and the DRI module loaded Smile, glxinfo reports:
Code:
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI ProSavageDDR 20061110 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 6.5.2

After run Beryl I got the same blank screen. But is fine, this chipset is too old to run Beryl and the driver lack extensions.

Tomorrow(if I have the time) I'll boot this CD on another PC with a modern Intel graphic chipset, do more test and make dotpups.

jimhap

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2007, 00:25    Post_subject:  

@wdef: About that compile: can you give me the options of the configure? (by ./configure --help ) You should watch when configuring for "shared libraries".

@wow: That's some good news.... (last post)
Why does some other pup's header's eat up devx's headers? How can ".wh" files not let the sfs file load?

Edited_times_total
wow

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2007, 00:34    Post_subject:  

jimhap wrote:
Why does some other pup's header's eat up devx's headers? How can ".wh" files not let the sfs file load?

i'm not sure, it just happens Embarassed. And every sfs is loaded, its content is hidden to the user, but they all are mounted on /initrd/pup_ro*/
Read this:
"...Those who have been following the discussion on Unionfs will know that there are problems with "whiteout" files..."
http://www.puppyos.net/news/index.php?m=04&y=07&entry=entry070419-082918

jimhap

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2007, 00:47    Post_subject:  

Oh well. That's a bug hopfully they can fix.

And I have finally(after banging my head a couple times)Razz got past the Xcomposite configure error! Very Happy
So dumb of me to not know that freedesktop.org has FTP which has archives of my needed files.

Now to look for libstartup-notification-1.0's source.....Smile
jimhap

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2007, 01:09    Post_subject:  

LOL now it lets me compile(im not doing that YET, need the GL) Very Happy
jimhap

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2007, 01:13    Post_subject:  

spoke too soon! Embarassed Looks like it needs more libraries(deps) to run/compile.....
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 7 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum