How to set up a Wacom Tablet

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
don570

#271 Post by don570 »

I discovered the fatdog 610 distro has wacom already pre-installed.

The applications just have to be set for pressure in their preferences :lol:
Porteus linux and Ubuntu are the same .

Hotdog

Serial Wacom tablet on Puppy 5.2.8

#272 Post by Hotdog »

Don570 and Charlie6,

Puppy 5.2.8 uses the 2.6.33.2 kernel and the 1.7.6 X server which turns out to be an in-between combination relating to the Linux Wacom project and its support for stand-alone serial tablets, specifically the Protocol 4 models. By 'in-between' I mean that their Xorg driver for v1.7.6 does not work with their kernel driver for v2.6.33.2 if the tablet is serial.

My first concern was trying to edit the Xorg.conf file. If deleted and Puppy rebooted or X restarted, Xorgwizard will always recreate the Xorg.conf file exactly as it was initially installed. The edit suggestions scattered through this 19-page thread will not "take" either. When those edits are put in exactly as given, X will fail and xorgwizard is necessary to get it going again. However, through much trial and error and by editing one line at a time and testing I have created a decent Xorg.conf that will persist through restarts and reboots. It contains the server section and the input device sections.

The Xorg portion of linuxwacom-0.8.8-11-k2.6.32.28-w5.tar.gz found in this thread seems to be what is needed for Puppy 5.2.8. Wacdump , xsetwacom and xidump all yield their expected results. The Xorg driver may be good to go. The kernel driver section is for a different kernel and does not work. The result is an "invalid module" error.

User Tokenrove from the Ubuntu forum http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1780154 has created a patched version of the Linux Wacom Project's kernel driver. It needs to be compiled against the 2.6.33.2 kernel and then have the patches applied. My attempts at compiling have been disappointing. I have worked with FORTRAN but never C. I'm so far behind the curve that it looks straight from here!

The combination of those two software items just mentioned plus the modified edits in the xorg.conf will probably yield a satisfactory solution to getting the Wacom Digitizer 2 and the Wacom Artz 2 serial tablets working in Puppy Linux 5.2.8.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

charlie6

xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 for k3.2.29 driver

#273 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
here is xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 for k3.2.29 driver
enjoy
charlie

charlie6

Re: Serial Wacom tablet on Puppy 5.2.8

#274 Post by charlie6 »

Hi hotdog
Hotdog wrote:..Puppy 5.2.8 uses the 2.6.33.2 kernel and the 1.7.6 X server..
did you already try shinobar's k2.6.33 compiled xf86-input-wacom driver
wacom-0.10.8_xorg_driver.pet ?
here
http://101.143.162.62/puppy/lupq/opt/wa ... driver.pet

Hotdog

#275 Post by Hotdog »

Charlie6,

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestions apply to the xorg portion which as I posted is already working as expected. The current need is for a kernel module compiled against the 2.6.33.2 kernel and patched appropriately for the protocol 4 serial wacom tablets.

I would be overjoyed if you would like to attempt the compile just to see if you get the same errors that I get here. That would help show what I may be doing wrong. Can you compile against the 2.6.33.2 kernel?

charlie6

#276 Post by charlie6 »

Hotdog,
are you serial tablets in the following list (picked up from linuxwacom «old» or «legacy» website)
Supported Serial Devices
UD series & PenPartner
Graphire & Intuos series
Cintiq series
TabletPC (with/without touch)
- I have no serial tablet, then i can't perform any test.
- For having tried compiling some wacom kernel module, i can say it might be above my capabilities (i can just tell it needs the kernel headers in addition to the devx_xyz.sfs module).
- so i can't promise doing something.

sorry
charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Fri 14 Dec 2012, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

charlie6

#277 Post by charlie6 »

Hi hotdog,
all these written on lupu-528 + USB wacom volito tablet + 0.15.0 wacom.ko + xf-86-input-wacom_k2.6.33.2

hmm..given without warranty

attached pieces: just drop the .gz extension as also the «-0.15.0» version to read them as text files, and to get the .ko drivers.

I compiled the input-wacom-0.15.0 driver just to see ... what could happen as the linuxwacom-project website tells it is an USB-driver (...and i have here only USB-wacom tabets...i am not interested at all, am i ;-) ? ).
IMHO, the drivers present with the lupu-5.2.8.iso might work with your serial tablets, if these have been included in the development of the driver.
So go to step 2. hereunder; for using the latest input-wacom-0.15.0 driver go to step 1. hereunder;
1. Compile went good and i found 2 drivers:
- wacom.ko driver compiled for USB use (42K against 32K for the one in lupu528's iso)
and something that mightinterest you ...
- wacom_w8001.ko driver compiled for SERIAL use (8492B against 6469B for the one in lupu528's iso)
Read «how to» in the attached piece «wacomdotko_readme.txt»
which are instructions for use of the driver, which come at the end of the make step.
2. I believe you should do in a console
sh-4.1# depmod
sh-4.1# modprobe wacom_w8001
to activate the driver.
Now, if all went good, I assume your tablet could work as a mouse. (I am assuming the tablets behaviour to be indifferent whether USB or SERIAL pluging).
3. For full use of your tablet you need now the X driver i.e. xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0_k2.6.33.2 driver.
3.1. do install its pet (download hereunder);
3.2. then edit the xorg.conf
In order to know which are the options for serial tablets, go to the legacy linuxwacom-project:
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... o/inputdev
there you will find the complete bits to copy to xorg.conf for serial or USB ones. Just comment what is USB relevant, and uncomment what is SERIAL.
A tip: delete the comments beginning with # at the end of an option line (example «#for USB only» etc...).

attached is my xorg.conf for a USB tablet;
In the «Section "Input Device"» cursor, stylus and eraser, COMMENT the lines
Option "USB" "on"
and UNCOMMENT the lines having
# Serial Tablet PC ONLY

4. Option "CursorProx"
here have set the value of
Option "CursorProx" "5" for the stylus
Option "CursorProx" "100" for the cursor
cursors value has to be adjusted: if this line is commented, the cursor does not move, except if the mouse hovers about 5mm over the tablet.

5. before restarting X, make a copy of your new xorg.conf (for instance xorgdotconfwacom), to help recover it afterwards if X hangs up.
(if X don't start, you got the console mode; there you might edit xorg.conf using the mp command; or replacing the wrong xorg.conf by a previous made backup using the mv command ...but i believe your are already aware of this).

hope this helps
Charlie

To check if the tablet is recognized , just open
/proc/bus/input/devices
and look for a paragraph telling
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=056a Product=0060 Version=0142
N: Name="Wacom your-tablet"
- compilation using the lupu_devx.sfs (ibiblio repo) and the linux-kernel-source.sfs (see smokey01 repo)
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index ... o/inputdev
Attachments
xorg.conf.txt.gz
the xorg.conf for USB tablet
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 610 times
wacomdotko_readme.txt.gz
comments coming with compilation
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0_k2.6.33.2.txt.gz
comments about it ...
(285 Bytes) Downloaded 607 times
wacom_w8001-0.15.0.ko.gz
SERIAL wacomw8001.ko version 0.15.0 driver
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
wacom-0.15.0.ko.gz
USB wacom.ko version 0.15.0 driver
(48.29 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

Hotdog

#278 Post by Hotdog »

Charlie6,

And you said that you did not know anything about compiling kernel modules! I'm impressed, not only with your success but your helpfulness, too. I appreciate being able to compare our Xorg configurations. That may be a big help when the kernel module is working. Unfortunately, the wacom_w8001-0.15.0.ko is for a touchscreen PC-type device and not related to the serial-connected Digitizer 2 (mine) or the Artz 2 (also called the UD series or protocol 4 series). However, I still tested it. The good news is that what you compiled was accepted without error on my machine.

Would you be so kind as to attempt compiling the attached file. Even if it did not compile, I would like to compare the errors it produces when you attempt compiling it against the 2.6.33.2 kernel. It has a short makefile included.

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
wacom_test.tar.gz
Wacom kernel driver for compiling
(4.28 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

charlie6

#279 Post by charlie6 »

Hi hotdog,
I believe one should here ask for help to C programmers.

...in attachment the comments of a compilation attempt using the wacom_serial.c and makefile from your last post.; attempt performed on the same system as the driver compile above.

I am far from being a C programmer. I even had to google around to find out how to compile a C file ... as i ignore all about C programming language and the way compiling it...

The attached files might give you a rough idea about the kinds of errors encountered.

So, at this point, i am sorry not being in the possibility to help you more.

Chers, Charlie
Attachments
wacom_serial_gcc_comments.txt.gz
just drop down the «.gz» extension to read the txt file
(70.2 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
wacom_serial_make.txt.gz
(494 Bytes) Downloaded 596 times

pemasu

#280 Post by pemasu »

Load devx sfs and kernel source sfs. Extract the content of tarball for example to the /usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen ie Makefile over existing one and wacom_serial.c

Cd to that directory and run in console:
make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` wacom_serial.ko

If the compile is succesfull, copy the created kernel module to appropriate directory in /lib/modules/....
Run depmod and load the module.
Might even work.

This kernel driver module was test compiled in dpup exprimo 3.4.2 kernel version
Attachments
wacom_serial-k3.4.2-dpup-0.0.1.pet
(4.46 KiB) Downloaded 612 times

charlie6

#281 Post by charlie6 »

Hi pemasu!
thanks for helpîng !
i believe i have had a wrong understanding of how to understand 'uname -r' and 'pwd', as also having misinterpreted spaces. So have made a few cut-and-try replacing
'uname -r' by 2.6.33.2
and
'pwd' by
/usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen

Have also placed the Makefile and the wacom_serial.c in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen.

here is what i get (an error...) doing:
sh-4.1# make -C /lib/modules/2.6.33.2/build M=/usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen wacom_serial.ko
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2'
CC [M] /usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_serial.o
/usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_serial.c: In function ‘handle_model_response’:
/usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_serial.c:144: error: implicit declaration of function ‘input_abs_set_res’
make[1]: *** [/usr/src/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom_serial.o] Error 1
make: *** [wacom_serial.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.33.2'
sh-4.1#

pemasu

#282 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. You dont have to even replace them. They are picked up, but I suppose it wont hurt to give exact kernel name and location of source directory.

But....It looks like the source is not compatible with 2.6.33.2 kernel. It probably is just too old.

charlie6

#283 Post by charlie6 »

But....It looks like the source is not compatible with 2.6.33.2 kernel. It probably is just too old.
i got the source here:http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... atched.sfs
kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs 16-Nov-2010 07:53 83M
is there a more recent one?

pemasu

#284 Post by pemasu »

I meant the driver source, lol. Not the kernel source. The Lucid Puppy kernel source is couple of years old, it sounds right. There has not been reason to update the source because there has not been any changes in the kernel. It has been the same all the time. But the problem is not the kernel source, it is incompatible driver source for that kernel version.

kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs is the one I seem to have in my own hdd repo.

EDIT. You can always make the safe side and prepare the kernel sources for module compiling.
in /usr/src/linux....type in console: make clean and.... make prepare

Hotdog

#285 Post by Hotdog »

Charlie6,

Thanks for doing the compile. The information that you returned is exactly what I am interested in. This bit of code came from one of the developers of the Linux Wacom Project. Once compiled it has to have patches applied. But it must be successfully compiled first. Your efforts yielded the same error that happened here. Now I know that it is not an anomaly in my setup and I can work on fixing the code.

Pemasu,

Thanks for joining in. I tested your compiled driver. Since I'm using Puppy 5.2.8 with the 2.6.33.2 kernel the versionmagic string mismatches and I get the "invalid module" error. However, your successful compile on the 3.4.2 kernel may mean that the driver code is intended for a newer kernel than mine. It may also be expecting a newer compiler. What version of gcc are you running? I have gcc 4.4.3 here.

pemasu

#286 Post by pemasu »

# gcc --version
gcc Debian 4.4.5-8 4.4.5

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76247

Fabio T

Updated Wacom driver (0.16) for notebook Fujitsu T902

#287 Post by Fabio T »

Charlie6,
I've got a new notebook (Fujitsu T902) that has a Wacom pen/touch digitizer, that's not working with wacom-0.15.0.ko.gz.
It is a USB device.

lsusb tells:

ID 056a:0101 Wacom Co., Ltd

so I must use wacom.ko

I've found an updated version (from SourceForge) of driver, I've compiled it in Pemasu's Upup 3.2.29 (remove .gz prior to use).

Install first xf86-input_k.3.2.29-upup-wacom-0.17.0.pet (Precise Puppy or Upup)

Insert wacom.ko driver in the place of same previous version (this file works only with kernel 3.2.29).

To make pen works correctly, delete file /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules (tested in upup), otherwise pen works bad.

Make necessary changes to Xorg.conf like previous messages.

For stylus I suggest this:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on"
# Option "Mode" "Relative"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
Option "AlwaysCore" "on"
Option "Speed" "1.0"
Option "Threshold" "5"
Option "CursorProx" "5"
# Option "Speed" "5"
# # Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Serial Tablet PC ONLY

EndSection
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot system twice after driver install.

Stylus works fine, finger works bad.

I'll try again to fix this: anyone have an idea to make finger touch works correctly?

I enclose also source packet: after compilation, compiled files (Wacom.ko, wacom_w8001.ko) are created in directory 2.6.38 (also in kernel 3.2.29) .
Attachments
wacom_w8001.ko.gz
Wacom driver for serial devices
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
wacom.ko.gz
Wacom driver for USB devices
(59.01 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2
Source Packet
(105.33 KiB) Downloaded 476 times

charlie6

#288 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Fabio,
i have not that enough experience to solve kernel drivers issues ... sorry ! :(
I've got a new notebook (Fujitsu T902) that has a Wacom pen/touch digitizer, that's not working with wacom-0.15.0.ko.gz.
I presume your running Pemasu's uPup-precise with kernel 3.2.29 ...?
1) To check if the already built-in wacom.ko works (distros with kernel version above 2.6.35 comes with an already updated wacom.ko driver; so no need to compile it ...according to wacom-project website):
? before installing whatever wacom stuff, have you tried first:

Code: Select all

#depmod
#modprobe wacom
this load and activates the wacom.ko (no need to restart X nor reboot): your tablet MUST work as a common mouse.
if not there might be a problem =>first check the integrity of the distro's iso ...best is to re-download and re-install to be sure.

2)
To make pen works correctly, delete file /etc/udev/rules.d/65-wacom.rules (tested in upup), otherwise pen works bad.
Here have installed xf86-input_k.3.2.29-upup-wacom-0.17.0.pet on several install of uPup-precise ... no the slightest problem with an old Volito1 and a more recent Bamboo-MTE450A wacom tablets.
OK if it works for you.
I do not know about the necessity to delete 65-wacom.rules ... maybe you're right.
65-wacom.rules creates the symlink /dev/input/wacom; without this symlink, the tablet works only as a common mouse (= if using mtPaint or Gimp, no pressure sensitivity; no relative cursor arrow positioning either, if lifting the pen/mouse from tablets pad, then the cursor moves to one corner of the screen).
Someone more experienced with udev rules should confirm if this could be compatible for all hardwares/distros.
To check if the tablets functions are recognized, typing in a console should return something like:

Code: Select all

# xsetwacom --list
stylus                             id: 8   type: STYLUS   
eraser                             id: 9   type: ERASER   
cursor                             id: 10   type: CURSOR   
pad                                id: 11   type: PAD
# 
3)
Stylus works fine, finger works bad
sorry, i have no touch tablet so i cannot perform any testing = i cannot help you; i believe you would gain to browse across wacom-project documentation here
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/l ... =Main_Page
there you might found xorg.conf settings adequate to your tablet (for non touch tablets, xorg.conf setting have needed some tuning to get the pen/cursor working; i.e. options "Threshold" and "CursorProx" ...value 5 works for Volito1; but Graphire needs another value).
Hope this helps
Charlie
Last edited by charlie6 on Mon 14 Jan 2013, 10:05, edited 2 times in total.

charlie6

xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 for k3.7.2 driver

#289 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
btw...
here is xf86-input-wacom-0.17.0 for k3.7.2 driver
(compiled and tested on uPup-Precise-3.7.2)
enjoy
charlie

Fabio T

Driver compilation

#290 Post by Fabio T »

Hi charlie6.
I can't compile file xf86-input-wacom-0.19.0.tar.bz2 in new Upup Kernel 3.7.2, compiler complains several errors and don't install it.
Please, Can you obtain a .pet from this file?

Please, please, can you compile wacom 0.16 driver (last version)? I can't (compiler refuses compilation with several errors).

In upup with 3.2.29 Kernel I obtain wacom.ko in 2.6.38 directory (strange?), in kernel 3.7.2. nothing to do!

Perhaps with new drivers my laptop works better...

I enclose source files for you.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Original driver shipped with Upup don't works on my laptop, I need new version to work (for now only works on versione 3.2.29).
Attachments
input-wacom-0.16.0.tar.bz2
Updated wacom driver for Fujitsu T902
(105.33 KiB) Downloaded 484 times