Puppy Linux finally works for me!

Booting, installing, newbie
jhsu

Puppy Linux finally works for me!

#1 Post by jhsu »

I finally got Puppy Linux working. OK, it's version 1.0.8. I wasn't able to get versions 2.14, 2.11, or 2.10 working for me, so I downloaded 1.0.8. Although I did get Damn Small Linux 3.2 to work, I couldn't bring myself to completely abandon Puppy Linux, because all of you are so enthusiastic about this Linux distribution. I just didn't want to miss out.

So I now have Puppy Linux 1.0.8 working. One thing that might have helped is that I used a CD-R instead of a CD-RW to boot up. I read somewhere that some CD-ROMs have difficulty with CD-RW while CD-Rs are easier to read. This IBM NetVista 6270-Q9U I recently bought used is an old computer, made in 2001 (according to the sticker). I started to suspect that the problem was NOT my computer or Puppy Linux but the CD-RWs I was using.

I need to redownload Puppy Linux 2.14, burn it to a CD-R, and try it out. In fact, as long as I'm using this desktop computer, I'm avoiding the use of CD-RWs for booting up a Linux distribution.

I also apologize for my earlier rants about my Puppy Linux booting problems. I figured out how to change the boot order in BIOS, I finally found a Puppy Linux version that worked for me, though I suspect now that the problem was the CD-RW rather than my hardware or the OS.

Some things I like about Puppy Linux after just a few minutes of use:
1. The default desktop is SO much better than the one in Damn Small Linux. Although DSL worked, I didn't like its dark default background which lacked the shortcuts to the various programs and was also somewhat difficult to read. I was able to switch to XVersa, but it took me several minutes to figure that out.
2. On my other desktop computer equipped with Windows 98, Puppy Linux recognized most of my files as the corresponding Linux equivalent.
3. YouTube and other multimedia work from the get-go! That wasn't the case with Fedora Core 1 or DSL.
4. The installation was quick. That wasn't the case for Fedora Core 1.

I've only spent a few minutes with Puppy Linux and a very old version at that, but I can see now why it has so many fans.

jhsu

Also like the setup item

#2 Post by jhsu »

I like the easy access to the setup for various components. In fact, the Internet access didn't work the first time I opened the browser, but a quick trip to the Setup item in the menu to configure the DSL modem fixed that.

Even in version 1.0.8, you can do a lot even without reading the manual.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

welcome aboard,

yes, there have been several posts where people couldn't get puppy to work, and the solution turned out to be use CD-R, not CD-R/W...i think it's a bios problem with some older computers. ( there was even a post from someone that was having no success with brand name CD-R, but then puppy booted from some cheap brand, for unknown reasons!).

don't be disheartened that you don't have the latest pupversion. if you look at what you use your computer for 90%+ of the time 1.08 has that well covered.

i've tried most pupversions, (and currently have 1.08 on 1 partition & 2.14 on another), and 1.08 is my favourite so far. the only downside of using 1.08 is that there will be .pup & .pet files released that will be incompatible with 1.08's older library files, like gtk etc.

amish

#4 Post by amish »

I finally got Puppy Linux working. OK, it's version 1.0.8. I wasn't able to get versions 2.14, 2.11, or 2.10 working for me, so I downloaded 1.0.8.
amazing, so many people treat 1.08 as the best version ever. i can't argue, my favorite versions are 1.07, 2.11, and grafpup 104 (which is based on the 1.x puppy versions)

a lot of times when puppy won't work, people go to a previous version and then it does.

hmm... well, actually i have one machine that can only run 2.11. install isomaster and puppybasic 2.5 while you're in 1.x, they're awesome. you already have the older version of puppybasic. i hope people will keep a repository for puppy 1 dotpup packages, although i still hope .pet will work someday, .dotpup already does. enjoy your os!

alienjeff

#5 Post by alienjeff »

Now here's a story of initial frustration overcome by a mix of the attraction to the distro, community and, ahem ... dogged perseverance. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your findings in re: CD drive woes.

Puppy v1.08r1 is my personal favorite, too. Though it works fine on my desktop machine, it still won't play on my old laptop. I still haven't given up, though, and your post has put some more wind in my sails! Thanks.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jhsu

Finally got version 2.14 working

#6 Post by jhsu »

Version 2.14 finally works for me. For some odd reason, Damn Small Linux on CD-RW works but Puppy Linux requires CD-R. Now I know that the problem all along was my CDs and NOT Puppy Linux.

I like the display of the available RAM. If Windows had such a display, I'd be able to avert the freeze-ups better. Well, I'm in the process of escaping the clutches of Windows at home. Too bad I can't do that at work as well.