Puppy-1.0.4 with XFree 4.5.0 & madwifi (wireless drivers

News, happenings
mgs

#31 Post by mgs »

Hi again. Thanks for the simple guidelines. As far as I know I downloaded my first attempt from the link http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/XFree-1 ... -puppy.iso

I have now tried http://www.edgarbrits.net and chose the 1.03 version with framebuffer support this fails without booting puppy at all.

How can I check if I have indeed got the XFree-1.04 version, when Puppy loads? Is this the one I need?

Maybe some details of the system I'm trying to use Puppy with might help. It's a Saintsong Espresso mini computer with 128Mb, processor is a Via at 900MHz using i810 graphics. I can successfully run Puppy at 800 x 600 with flickery refresh rate (65Hz I think) sound works OK and USB memory stick is recognised. I'd be happy if I could get 1024 x 768 at 75 or 85Hz which I know the computer and monitor can do as I have Windoze 98 on it at present. (Connecting Puppy to the internet with this is possibly a challenge to far at present as there is only a USB interface no ethernet socket. But let's take one thing at a time!!)

keenerd

#32 Post by keenerd »

I really like the latest atheros/fb build. For once, my laptop works the way it should. So I took the final step and tried to do an option 2 upgrade to my existing 1.0.4. Starting X now gives me a very interesting error. "Too many levels of symbolic links." It doesn't matter if I use xwin or startx. Both do it.

I couldn't find anything relivant in the forums. Even google wasn't too useful, aside from 'delete some symlinks'.

I can still boot from CD, so I might just back up everything and reinstall.
(Joy.)

keenerd

#33 Post by keenerd »

This just keeps on getting more interesting.

I wiped my partition, and did a fresh option 2 install of Bladehunter's iso. Now it boots fine, but I can't access my card. 'iwlist scan' now gives "Failed to read scan data: Resource temporarily unavailable"

Does anyone know what this means?

keenerd

#34 Post by keenerd »

Sorry, false alarm. It was a seemingly unrelated bios option.

For thinkpad 600E users: the atheros kernel doesn't work if you have quick boot disabled. I had disabled it because Peppyy said the audio works better that way.

#35 Post by Guest »

when you says fails to boot....Do you just get a command prompt ?

Try typing xwin if that is the case

mgs

#36 Post by mgs »

Hi Bladehunter

Puppy framebuffer version fails to boot giving error messages roughly as follows -

XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: unable to open socket for inst6
XSERVTransOpen : transport open failed for inst6/puppypc:0
XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners : failed to open listener for inst 6 Error opening/devfb0: no such file or directory
Fatal server error

There is more which I will transcribe if it helps (I'm having to read from one screen and copy manually)

typing xwin simply repeats the error messages

#37 Post by Guest »

Your booting with the wrong option....As I can't remember how I numbered the options you'll have to look at the isolinux.cfg file and have a look at the options.....

Actually I found this from the readme.txt
Boot options as per normal puppy
but add 5 for frambuffer

ie Option 6 is option 1 with framebuffer

But in all seriousness I wouldn't bother with that version.....

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/NFS-1.0.4/cd-puppy.iso

This version has support for the i810 chipset, you just need to answer a few questions regarding your setup[/quote]

Germanpup

success notice P3 600 MHz laptop

#38 Post by Germanpup »

thank you very much bladehunter. I'm successfully running your version on my 2 laptops (sony p3 w/ neomagic and ibm thinkpad with atheros). this with John's perl ndiswrapper and wifi packages are ideal setups for notebooks ...
www.weiss-lampertheim.de
built and maintained with Puppy!

ChiJoan

This Puppy wouldn't finish be written?

#39 Post by ChiJoan »

I use Roxio to burn ISO images. This is the first time it ever stalled at 20% on write. Perhaps Roxio doesn't write Linux multi-write images? Just guessing that may be the problem though.

Guess I'll be patient for Puppy 1.05.

#40 Post by Guest »

The iso's were created using Barry's makeiso scripts.....so in that way mine images are no different in format

HitRSS

#41 Post by HitRSS »

I tried to install this 1.04 version of Puppy with Xfree on my dual-boot Windows XP NTFS partition (using the tutorial from this forum) and I got a kernel panic - init not found error upon booting.

I have Chubby Puppy running like this without any problem, but this particular Xfree version won't work... and it's a shame since I have to change the screen resolution to 1024x600 (native resolution of my Fujitsu P1120).

Any ideas why I get the kernel panic with this one and the Chubby works with the same config?