How to set up User Accounts, edit the Menu?

Booting, installing, newbie
tiki28

How to set up User Accounts, edit the Menu?

#1 Post by tiki28 »

Hi
IU am a little new to puppy. I have it installed on a system that kids will be using, is there any way of seting up user accounts?

Also how do I edit the menu?

Thanks.

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi tiki28; There's user spot in Puppy, but root is the only real one.
There isn't a login so there's no easy way to do what your talking about.

I assume your using Puppy-2.x.x, just copy the SAVE file to a new name.
Right click on the file in ROX, [Copy], & then type in the new SAVE files name.
This should bring up a SAVE file menu during bootup.

For the JWM window manager the [Start] menu's file is: /root/.jwmrc

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

In previous Puppies, editing the /root/.jwmrc file was okay, but now we use XDG menus. The menu is still there, but it gets overwritten when stuff gets installed. It is built from *.desktop files in /usr/share/applications/. Each item in it has a desktop file in there, with information about it's name, icon, executable, and category.

The reason for using XDG is that other windowmanagers won't need their menu configured separately. They all build it from those .desktop files. It's also simpler to add a menu entry. Rather than edit and potentially corrupt menu files, you just drop in a .desktop entry.

You do have to run the fixmenus command and restart your windowmanager for anything to happen though.

As for user accounts, Nathan is working on a derivative called Grafpup, which includes real multi-user. It's still in alpha, but you might want to check it out when it's finished. He also wrote a how-to for setting it up in Puppy. I haven't looked at it in detail though, so I can't say how difficult it is.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gekko

#4 Post by Gekko »

I shall look into this howto :o